Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Toilets

• 21-06-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Just came back from a trip to the US and what is up with the big gap between the door in the toilet cubicles, its is extremely wierd and I felt like i was putting on a show for everyone when I went in to use one.

Got into an arguement with a waiter there too about a tip I think it is mental that you are expected to give a tip regardless of the service, this guy was the rudest guy ever so the bill came to 50.10 and i made it 50.50 to make a point, the the fireworks started and in the end the manager offered to comp our meal but I just left, have you ever done anything like this and how did it work out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What?

Edit: I like the toilets in Disneyland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

so basically this isn't even about toilets it's about tipping in the US. and what do you mean a gap? I don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Well they weren't unisex toilets were they? So what's the problem! I doubt people were putting their eyes in through the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

phasers wrote: »
    What?

Edit: I like the toilets in Disneyland

that is only because of your Mickey mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's because americans are fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Rabies wrote: »
    that is only because of your Mickey mouse

or maybe his Minnie Mouse. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks like the restaurant you picked was a right old toilet.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You object to a nice big spacious comfy toilet? Right so, well that's your loss - or else you've just learned to put up with sh!t conditions too long.

As for tipping... I dislike the whole tipping culture in the US. You can have a tip if you do something right (make sure I never run out of food and drink, walk past every now and again so I can call you if I want help, but go away and stop bothering me unless I call you) or if you're an attractive female (what can I say .. I'm human .. ). Otherwise you get no tip. I would have given them the amount on the bill (€50.10) and not €55.50 as you did - you gave them a 40c tip! Regardless of the point you were trying to make .. you tipped! (in their eyes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought the toilets where god awful too. The ones in Vegas have a shelf that all your poo sits on. I had one monstrous ****e one morning and put me hand right into the poo when wiping. Not nice at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I prefer the American style toilet stalls with the raised door off the floor. It makes it easier to mop the floor so there's a better chance it actually gets done, imo.

I suppose I prefer crazy drunk girls not being able to attempt to crawl in with me under the gap here though. I mean honestly, what is the point of 5 girls sharing a toilet stall? It's not like that's going to save any time, is it?! mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tony255 wrote: »
    Just came back from a trip to the US and what is up with the big gap between the door in the toilet cubicles, its is extremely wierd and I felt like i was putting on a show for everyone when I went in to use one.

Got into an arguement with a waiter there too about a tip I think it is mental that you are expected to give a tip regardless of the service, this guy was the rudest guy ever so the bill came to 50.10 and i made it 50.50 to make a point, the the fireworks started and in the end the manager offered to comp our meal but I just left, have you ever done anything like this and how did it work out?

I paid at the counter myself instead of waiting around but left a penny on our table for the chap who wasted our time and couldn't be arsed being there it seemed. I tip if they deserve it. I hate public toilets in any country but I find the cubicle walls very short and I'm only 5' 7".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

the gap in the toilets is to prevent drug use.

as for tipping, they really do get screwed over there for wages and, because tipping is customary, in alot of cases the employers pay alot less. basically not tipping is like taking money from their wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought the toilets where god awful too. The ones in Vegas have a shelf that all your poo sits on. I had one monstrous ****e one morning and put me hand right into the poo when wiping. Not nice at all.

Don't go to Germany
    http://homepage.mac.com/mes/iblog/B337353584/C1870282643/E1866785319/Media/Pasted%20Graphic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

so basically this isn't even about toilets it's about tipping in the US. and what do you mean a gap? I don't get it

gap like this i suppose

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisas-lounge/361146180/sizes/l/

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

marbar wrote: »
    the gap in the toilets is to prevent drug use.

as for tipping, they really do get screwed over there for wages and, because tipping is customary, in alot of cases the employers pay alot less. basically not tipping is like taking money from their wages

yeah I understand that but if they want to make money from tips then they are expected to do a good job at it, if the waiter is throwing food on the table and starts out by saying "I normally work in better places that this" and looks down his nose at everyone then he is not getting a proper tip from me nad the 40c was my way of expressing that. You get a proper tip if you provide proper service, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

its a bit of both, the gap is down either side of the toilet door a little under half an inch i guess and it was everywhere not just in one place

yeah I understand that but if they want to make money from tips then they are expected to do a good job at it, if the waiter is throwing food on the table and starts out by saying "I normally work in better places that this" and looks down his nose at everyone then he is not getting a proper tip from me nad the 40c was my way of expressing that. You get a proper tip if you provide proper service, end of.
    lol!

"don't judge me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I get what the OP means about the toilets now .. he means the doors as you've said .. right so well I've revise my post.

I like how they're nice and airy and I don't pass out after passing a massive load lol. Sometimes they can be too extreme though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

yeah I understand that but if they want to make money from tips then they are expected to do a good job at it, if the waiter is throwing food on the table and starts out by saying "I normally work in better places that this" and looks down his nose at everyone
    That's not really fair, he's standing over you how else can he look at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Urgh. Do they like to have a good look at it before flushing? Possibly take pictures of it, give it a name, stroke it and make baby-talk with it? "Who's a lovely sheiße? You are, yes you are. Coochie-coochie-coo." Barbaric.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No. That's maybe how it works in Ireland but not in the USA.

It should be called a "service charge" and not a tip IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Some things are different in other countries.
    Fucking outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ponster wrote: »
    No. That's maybe how it works in Ireland but not in the USA.

It should be called a "service charge" and not a tip IMHO.

I've seen it added on "for your convenience" in some parts. Very nice of them!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Its called a service charge - you pay 15-20% to get the food delivered to your table.

It is so cheap not to pay for this - that waiter earned NOTHING for seving you when you refused to tip him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There is often a gap an inch, inch-and-a-half wide between the door and the frame (on each side) going the height of the door, in addition to the gap at the bottom.

Never caused me any bother. Then again, I've been in places where there's not as much as a curtain between yourself and the guy to your right or left. (Army has a wonderful way of removing inhibitions)

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Enii wrote: »
    Its called a service charge - you pay 15-20% to get the food delivered to your table.

It is so cheap not to pay for this - that waiter earned NOTHING for seving you when you refused to tip him.
    He gets wages doesn't he? If he wants to earn more, he'll make the extra effort and be an amazing waitor

To me, a tip rewards excellent service. I'm not going to tip somebody because it's customary or any of that shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Then he/she needs to get a better job or start a union movement or something. I fail to see what's cheap about not wanting to leave a gratuity that in the eye of the customer hasn't been earned...

never mind the army, there was one bar i was in that didn't have a door on the front of the jax at all. not only did everyone using the whole room see you, but when teh door is opened to go out/come in of the mens, everyone that was outside could see straight in
    one of the strangest ****s of my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Pffft, the toilets in Venice are just a hole in the ground... Quite good for target practice actually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Murphy's Law in Myrtle beach SC, no fcuking door and every time someone went in there was this bearded cnunt straining on the pot.

On one occasion his facial expression changed suddenly and was obviously after unloading a severe dump of spoil after a struggle.

Don't get me going about American shítters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There is often a gap an inch, inch-and-a-half wide between the door and the frame (on each side) going the height of the door, in addition to the gap at the bottom.

Never caused me any bother. Then again, I've been in places where there's not as much as a curtain between yourself and the guy to your right or left. (Army has a wonderful way of removing inhibitions)

NTM
    Thats what I thought he meant.

It really isnt a big problem. Much greater privacy than a communal urinal :) and yes the previously stated Drug use issue seems to fit.
    ?

ew.

Stand up and wipe ffs.

It is so cheap not to pay for this - that waiter earned NOTHING for serving you when you refused to tip him.
    This is not entirely true, or at least, not as big a conniption as people make it out to be.

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.
    Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

Yes phasers, they get the minimum wage.

Im curious to know how this tipping issue came about on the night. You asked your waiter about tips?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stand up and wipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

i was in this pub in america and there was no cublicle in the bathroom. there was 2 urinals on the wall and a sink, and then there was the ****ter planted in the middle of the ****ing room.

And be the proud possessor of two butt cheeks covered in claggy scutther.??

No way Jose, keep the bend until after the wipe, work the paper well into the badge, thats the way to do a proper clean up.

Philistine!!

stand up and wipe?
    You're a man dammit. The more time you spend sitting on a loo the closer you get to being a woman :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

I think the OP means the gap between the door and the door frame. When I went to the toilet in JFK for the first time, it was the first thing I observed - the gap! You can see people outside washing their hands and the like and people could see you on the toilet if they were standing close enough to your door! Found it a bit weird at first but got over it.

Regarding the tipping; you have to tip as their wages aren't as high as wages would be here for example. You're expected to tip 10% regardless of service, and then 15/18/20% depending on the quality of service. Yes it's a pain but it's just the culture. Sometimes though, if the service/food was really that bad, I wouldn't tip, and just leg it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i've noticed it too, gaps on the sides of the door. its kinda concerning...

tipping, well i refuse to tip if the service was bad. i'd have no problem explaining but no ones been cheeky enough to ask yet except to pass me a dirty look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭mike kelly

i've noticed it too, gaps on the sides of the door. its kinda concerning...

I went over there for work and even the office toilets had these gaps. You are taking a dump and all co-workers who enter see that it is you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I think you have the right idea OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cool_CM wrote: »

You get them in some places in Poland too. Charming.

• Advertisement

You sure do.

I've left many a giant walrus sunning himself on a ledge.

two bits of toothpicks leave a fcukin good likeness I can assure you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

The secret to tipping in America is to give half of the tax charge. For example on your receipt the total is say $38 inclusive of a tax of $8. Then you give $4 of a tip... I think it always works out at around 15%, very simple to calculate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Some bar staff simply do not get paid a wage in America. They rely on tips. Waiting staff will get a wage but as Overheal points out, it's minimum wage.

If you go to another country you have to respect their ways and tipping in America is ingrained into their society. It's not something I agree with personally but you simply have to tip the appropriate people, if you don't you're a douche. And you can be assured that if you are a douche, you will not get served by the bar staff or waiting staff. Eventually you will, but they will take care of people that tip before you, that's for sure, it's personal when you don't tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

You sure do.

I've left many a giant walrus sunning himself on a ledge.

two bits of toothpicks leave a fcukin good likeness I can assure you

Wouldn't say the toothpicks feel great on the way out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Did I read this read the thread correctly?

In the USA, staff who work in the frontline and may get tips earn $2.13 per hour :eek:

Say it ain't so, I'm sure there are kids in the third world stiching cotton in a sweatshop who earn more then that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This is the right way to do it tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Yeah and the water level is very high in them, testicles were literally tea-bagging every time i sat down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    The secret to tipping in America is to give half of the tax charge. For example on your receipt the total is say $38 inclusive of a tax of $8. Then you give $4 of a tip... I think it always works out at around 15%, very simple to calculate.

No, you double the tax!

38 dollar bill = 3 dollar tax

= 6 dollar tip (about 16%)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Mind the gap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement