Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Suburbs - Are these them?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am doing an excerise that outlines the main suburbs of Cork City, outside centre of city. Two questions;
    1. Am I missing any from list below?
    2. Should any be merged or part of same area?

Ballyphehane
    Bishopstown
    Blackpool
    Blackrock
    Douglas
    Mahon
    Mayfield
    Monkstown
    Rochestown
    Sundays Well
    Wilton

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Your best bet is to look up daft.ie. For example, choose a letting in Cork City, then click "More Search Options". There's a list of suburbs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

As Faith sadi...use DAFT or even MyHome.ie to get a more complete list. You are missing loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd say it will be very difficult to get a full list unless you get onto someone in City Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

RantorRave wrote: »
    I am doing an excerise that outlines the main suburbs of Cork City, outside centre of city. Two questions;
    1. Am I missing any from list below?
    2. Should any be merged or part of same area?

Ballyphehane
    Bishopstown
    Blackpool
    Blackrock
    Douglas
    Mahon
    Mayfield
    Monkstown
    Rochestown
    Sundays Well
    Wilton

Here's another few for your list. The last four are towns not far from the boundary but fast becoming suburbs. Kind of like Blanchardstown or Tyrellstown is to Dublin.

Ballinlough
    Ballintemple
    Ballyvolane
    Curraheen
    Donnybrook
    Frankfield
    Glanmire
    Glasheen
    Grange
    Hollyhill
    Lehenaghmore
    Little Island
    Montenotte
    Shanakiel
    Tivoli
    The Glen
    Togher
    Silversprings
    Knocknaheeny

Tower
    Blarney
    Carrigaline
    Ballincollig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Go onto Cork City Council website. They state the areas they cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Here's another few for your list. The last four are towns not far from the boundary but fast becoming suburbs. Kind of like Blanchardstown or Tyrellstown is to Dublin.

Ballinlough
    Ballintemple
    Ballyvolane
    Curraheen
    Donnybrook
    Frankfield
    Glanmire
    Glasheen
    Grange
    Hollyhill
    Lehenaghmore
    Little Island
    Montenotte
    Shanakiel
    Tivoli
    The Glen
    Togher
    Silversprings
    Knocknaheeny

Tower
    Blarney
    Carrigaline
    Ballincollig

These are all in County Cork, NOT Cork City
    Curraheen
    Donnybrook
    Frankfield
    Glanmire
    Grange
    Lehenaghmore
    Little Island

Tower
    Blarney
    Carrigaline
    Ballincollig

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

Silversprings is a housing estate not a suburb. It should be included as a part of Mayfield or Tivoli

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I wouldn't use daft. Until recently Bere Island showed up as a suburb of Cork city on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

joulter wrote: »
    Silversprings is a housing estate not a suburb. It should be included as a part of Mayfield or Tivoli

I'm sure the residents would suggest Tivoli:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Condo131 wrote: »
    Curraheen
    Donnybrook
    Frankfield
    Glanmire
    Grange
    Lehenaghmore
    Little Island

Tower
    Blarney
    Carrigaline
    Ballincollig

Still part of the "Cork Metropolitan Area" though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think u'd have to consider Blarney, Glanmire and Ballincollig as suburbs of Cork, i dont know whatelse u'd classify them as if they weren't. They are all less than 15 mins drives from the city centre and the majority of people who live there work in the city and are dependant on the city.

They are not part of the city but they are most definetly suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hazys wrote: »
    I think u'd have to consider Blarney, Glanmire and Ballincollig as suburbs of Cork, i dont know whatelse u'd classify them as if they weren't.

Satellite Towns!!!!

just came across this message,
    its a common misconception about togher
    togher is a collection of townlands including gurran dara,lehanaghmore,doughcloyne,deanrock,kilreendowny and ashgrove.
    during the boom builders willingly left out the name togher to get more money for houses. lehanaghmore, wilton or doughcloyne, wilton exists cos people refuse to put togher on there address.
    anyone who doesnt believe me, its on the deeds of every house within its boundaries.
    wilton on the other hand was a tiny farm, it expanded through snobbery of address.
    lehanaghmore,ashgrove, deanrock,kilreendowny, gurran dara and doughcloyne all fall under the suburb of Togher

togher is a collection of townlands including gurran dara,lehanaghmore,doughcloyne,deanrock,kilreendowny and ashgrove.
    during the boom builders willingly left out the name togher to get more money for houses. lehanaghmore, wilton or doughcloyne, wilton exists cos people refuse to put togher on there address.
    anyone who doesnt believe me, its on the deeds of every house within its boundaries.
    wilton on the other hand was a tiny farm, it expanded through snobbery of address.
    lehanaghmore,ashgrove, deanrock,kilreendowny, gurran dara and doughcloyne all fall under the suburb of Togher

Dunno about that to be honest, for a start Kilreendowny is in Ballyphehane not Togher. Seems as your wrong there I wonder about the rest of your post.

The Lough is also a suburb forgotten about by everyone for some reason. Don't people go to Lennox's anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yeah kilreendowny is actually in Ballyphehane. Deanrock was never considered as a place on its own and is only the name of an estate. And saying you live in Togher would probably be better than saying you live in Deanrock as the area doesn't have a great name itself. Wilton is a split between Togher and Bishopstown but there isn't really any defined line as i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

You had Rochestown and Monkstown in the list.......

Like most people you were hoping that Passage would fall into the sea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Condo131 wrote: »
    Curraheen
    Donnybrook
    Frankfield
    Glanmire
    Grange
    Lehenaghmore
    Little Island

Tower
    Blarney
    Carrigaline
    Ballincollig

yeah, technically, they are all outside the city boundary which hasn't changed for the last 825 years

kilreendowny if you look at history records is part of togher but has become to accepted as part of ballyphehane.
    i have done extensive history on cork suburbs.
    deanrock actually is a townname and it didnt just come to exist over the housing estate, the deanrock pub was there long before the deanrock estate, technically westside estate is part of deanrock, greenwood is part of lehenaghmore inside togher, it can get quiet complicated. togher actually stretches as far as the airport in taking in ashgrove.

kilreendowny if you look at history records is part of togher

Dude, it's 2010 ffs :D

eh place names stay the same doesnt matter if its 1900 or 2010, you dont see parts of county limerick spreading into county clare, thus dimenishing its size

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 doodd

yeah, technically, they are all outside the city boundary which hasn't changed for the last 825 years

Does anyone remember a couple of years back Joe Gavin, city manager was talkin about extending the city boundary and taking in half of Cork? Any one have any idea what happened to that plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

eh place names stay the same doesnt matter if its 1900 or 2010, you dont see parts of county limerick spreading into county clare, thus dimenishing its size

Limerick City has spread into Clare

yeah but that part of the city is controlled by clare county council and is within the clare county boundaries, as is parts of kildare that are counted are part of dublin, there address is still county kildare

plus read the post you quoted, it says county not city

Advertisement