Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used Jaguar XK8

• 21-06-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im thinking of buying an old XK8, around 15 grand so prabably a 98 or 99. Has anyone here ever owned one??

What are the running costs like? Reliability?

It would not be used day to day, only as a run around (lifelong dream!!)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a chap on here who works for Jaguar, called Mr David I think. Might be worth dropping him a PM.

BTW I think €15k is a bit expensive for a 10/11 year old example. There are plenty out there cheaper than that.

A few examples:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200921192835510
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200844190710064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ah but both of those are the 4L version.
    You'd want to be looking for a supercharged 4.2L version.
    I'd say that's why he saying the higher price.

That's the XKR though. The XK8 is the 4.0 litre V8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Looked it up, spot on there.
    My bad.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Looked it up, spot on there.
    My bad.

No bother mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's the XKR though. The XK8 is the 4.0 litre V8.

I thought it also comes in a 4.2 litre? I've come across lots of XK8's advertised as 4.2 litre

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1074296.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I've had my '99 XK8 for about 15 months now. Reliability has been great. I replaced the battery and thermostat at a total cost of 250 euro and that's it. I've done about 8,000 miles, and averaged just over 21mpg. In town, it's more like 15, but on a run down to cork and back, I got 29mpg.
    Buy a good one, and get a mechanic to look it over before you purchase. I also lusted after one for years, and am delighted I went for it. The only problem is what to get after. I mean, where do you go from an XK8?

DonJose wrote: »
    I thought it also comes in a 4.2 litre? I've come across lots of XK8's advertised as 4.2 litre

From 2002 on it was a 4.2. All pre-2002 models were 4.0. The XKR is supercharged and has an extra 50 bhp. Supercharger sounds awful though. You want the low rumble of the V8 in the XK8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

bogmanfan wrote: »
    From 2002 on it was a 4.2. All pre-2002 models were 4.0. The XKR is supercharged and has an extra 50 bhp. Supercharger sounds awful though. You want the low rumble of the V8 in the XK8.

OK cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

where do you go from an XK8?

XKR:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »

That looks a cracker of a car, low miles, nice wheels and it looks very clean. Nice find!
    DonJose wrote: »

And for something that might end up costing you upwards of 20k, with 156,000 miles, looks a bit expensive!

I've always had a thing for Xk8's I think they're a fantastic looking car and haven't out dated themselves. IIRC there's a U shape gear pattern in them, all round nice place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Whats the room like in the back of the covertible version, fit two baby seats in it you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Absolutely no room for baby seats.

4.2 is from 03 onward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its more like 80BHP, thats only half the story though. The torque through the rev range is very impressive, it has more torque at 2500RPM than the non-supercharged version has at peak, or something (going from memory here). As for the supercharger whine, I guess its a love or hate thing. Although a tasteful aftermarket exhaust would bring back the rumble nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Afraid I cant help re reliabilty, running costs etc , but must say they are one of the best looking Coupes you can by. For a 98/99 they still look fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

There are many potential problems with the xk8, Buy a good one and your in for a great car experience, buy a bad one and prepare to wave goodbye to all your money.

There is a book by Nigel Thorley "You and your Jaguar xk8" ISBN 1 84425 224 8, I recomend you buy this book before purchase, to know what to look out for. I ordered it from "motor books .co.uk"

The price for a 98 XK8 should be around 8000 Euros depending on condition and I did look at one for 6500 Euroos it was a little rough but was fine for the money.

Don't let all the problems put you off these are excellent cars for the money and really nothing drives like a Jaguar. You are right these types of car at this age are really only second car territory.

If your handy with a spanner you can service the car yourself and Spirit motor group even sell a kit complete with plastic seat cover.

Just some of the potential issues.
    Nikasil engine failure.
    Engine chain break.
    Engine chain tensioner fail.
    Water pump failure.
    Gearbox failure.
    suspension bushes and subframe mount failure.
    Corrosion.
    Crack formed in sill panel just under the door where panel weld has flexed.
    Sore face from grinning everytime you see/drive/start/brush off/overtake in/rev the thing.

One thing to note the car is built on the old XJS floorpan with bracing plates welded onto it to give it strenght, corrosion sets in behind these plates and they swell with rust. It is a massive job to repair as the interior has to come out:eek:.

Don't let any of this put you off I don't think you will get a better car for the money, and while it's not a traffic light grand prix racer, it has more a sort of relentless accelleration that never seems to end and cruises effortlessly at point gaining speeds.

Anyway hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

Thanks for the help... it all sounds pretty positive, i will definitely be going for the XK8 not the XKR... even my dreams have a budget!

What is the annual tax for the 4 litre XK8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TWhat is the annual tax for the 4 litre XK8?

€1,566

unkel wrote: »
    €1,566
    1566 smile vouchers you mean, if that was Euros I would never sleep at night:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

Stratos, i like the attitude!

Would it be better to buy one in the UK and pay the VRT or get an Irish one? Im guessing there is a much bigger pool of options in the UK, anyone know what the VRT rate for an XK8 is??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Here's what the VRT page says:

MAKE: JAGUAR
    MODEL: XK8
    VERSION: 4.0 V8 02DR A / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / AUTOMATIC / PETROL ONLY /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 284
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 1999

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €10135
    RATE OF TAX: 36%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €3648

Stratos, i like the attitude!

Would it be better to buy one in the UK and pay the VRT or get an Irish one? Im guessing there is a much bigger pool of options in the UK, anyone know what the VRT rate for an XK8 is??

Probably cheaper here. When I bought mine, which was before the value of every car in the country fell through the floor, it wasn't much cheaper to buy in the UK. I'd imagine that with 4k in VRT, it's got to be cheaper to buy here.

Probably cheaper here. When I bought mine, which was before the value of every car in the country fell through the floor, it wasn't much cheaper to buy in the UK. I'd imagine that with 4k in VRT, it's got to be cheaper to buy here.

Sorry to hear about the bad timing (nice car though), I think your right 98 xk8 seem to be around 6000 to 7000 Sterling over the water, so with 4K vrt on top of that it would make more sense to buy one here.

Advertisement