Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird Phobia

• 21-06-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I have a complete fear of birds which started as a child. Im also terrified of chickens , I couldnt even look at a picture of one.

I had resigned myself to the fact i had a bird phobia but have recently decided to do something about it as it does affect my everyday living. I live in Dublin city centre so on most days im ducking and diving the pigeons and trying to anticipate their next move. My friends and family think its great craic to joke about my fear but my pulse races when i catch sight of a pigeon. It also means I cant dine outside which is a pain for my fiance when we are holidaying abroad.

My question is does anyone else suffer the same and did they overcome it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alkatraz

I too have a major issue with birds. I put this down to the encounter I had with a swan when I was about 4, but it could also be a coincidence.

About an hour ago a bird flew in from my balcony into my kitchen, and I just freaked! I locked myself in the study, which is just off the kitchen, and waited for it to fly away. My wife was asleep at the time and I just started shouting her name so she could get it out. To cut a long story short, she woke up and heard me, and did indeed get the animal out, but I just could not deal with the situation.

This is the funny/not-so-funny part, I am a 6 foot tall, healthy man in my late twenties. If this had been anything from a Bat to a Rhinoceros, I could I dealt with it, but for some reason, a small bird flapping around, and I freaked out. I worry what would I have done if my wifes life was in danger, and I had to deal with it.

I have considered hypnotherapy in the past, but it did not badly affect me until my recent episode. When I am in town my wife scares away the pigeons, and I dont have a major problem with small birds like robins and bluetits, so long as they dont come too close. That what I dont like about birds in general, that they dont respect personal space. Pigeons are terrible for this.

If the OP has this problem, and I have it, and I know one other person with the problem, then there must be some more in the Boards community. I too would be interested in hearing of success in breaking this Phobia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement