Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco displays Josef Fritzl book in Father's Day display

• 21-06-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/5571959/Tesco-displays-Josef-Fritzl-book-in-Fathers-Day-display.html
    Shoppers were amazed to see the title detailing the gruesome crimes of the Austrian billed as a suitable present.

In The Crimes of Josef Fritzl, the true depravity of the man who locked up his daughter Elisabeth in a cellar for 24 years and fathered seven children with her - murdering one of them - is detailed.

Yet at the Tesco store in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, it is seen fit as a good way to toast Father's Day.

And amazingly the chain has defended its decision to stock it in the promotion.

One female shopper, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "Am I alone in feeling appalled to see a book entitled The Crimes of Josef Fritzl on display as a suggested gift for Father's Day? "It's hardly an appropriate Father's Day gift, I would have thought."

But Tesco has hit back at the complaints, saying it would smack of censorship to remove certain books because some people found them offensive.

A spokesman said: "It's a book about a true crime and fathers and people in general are interested in things like this, books about the war, serial killers etc.

"It's not a vulgar or grotesque book. It's a serious book about a very serious crime.

"It would be touching on censorship if we removed it. Where would we draw the line? Would you like us to go through every DVD we sell removing those that some may find offensive?

"Tesco are comfortable selling this book. Crime fiction and non-fiction are very popular. This was a high-profile case that occurred in recent times.

"I wouldn't be comfortable buying it as a Father's Day gift, but I wouldn't want to tell other people not to. No-one is being forced to buy it."

However, the supermarket chain later changed its policy.

“It was never our intention to cause offence to any of our customers. It was placed there by mistake and has been removed," a spokesman said.

LOL @ Tesco :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bargain basement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The man is an example to fathers everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

It's a book every father should have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Should be a best-cellar!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

frankly you'd worry about any daughter that would buy that for her father on fathers day! A little bit not too subtle methinks! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

hes inspirational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well you can't knock his discipline...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It was placed there by mistake and has been removed

Sure it was....... :D

Jeasus how stupid does one have to be to place a book like that in the Father's Day section? Did management* think it was going to sell more? Dumbasses !

*Sadly, sales people think like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

A spokesman said: "It's a book about a true crime and fathers and people in general are interested in things like this, books about the war, serial killers etc.

Haha no mention of incest rape!

*that will lead to a decrease in sales*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Maybe they figured it could be used as a DIY and home-building guide?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

How to keep your children hostage and other fun things

For Dummies
    By J.Fritzl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

lol, classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm sure its captivating stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Brings a new meaning to 'Herr Indoors'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

What an absolutely stupid news story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Ah but you gotta laugh! :D

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

I hear his DIY DvD will be out for xmas !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭jackson2009

lol jokers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"A captivating read"

What an absolutely stupid news story.

More fool to the telegraph for carrying it and tesco believing they could justify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well it would make every Father feel better.

"At least I didn't really f*ck up my kids".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

K-9 wrote: »
    Well it would make every Father feel better.

"At least I didn't really f*ck my kids".

Fixed that post for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

orestes wrote: »
    Fixed that post for you

Or maybe when when we do end up f*cking up our kids, we can say:

"At least I didn't do a Fritzl."

On an aside, could you imagine AH Posters offspring?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Image:Fritzlmask.jpg

proof God is dead, somebody made this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

i found this self help manual to be a great help,i am now nearly finished with my underground bunker,all i need is a mate and some offspring to put in the secret room

CVs can be emailed to me btw and im an equal opportunities molester

KTHNX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

I'm disappointed they changed their policy and took it off the shelves in the end.

What is wrong with people? So what if it's there on display? People get offended at everything these days. Can anyone here honestly say they'd be offended if they walked into Tesco and saw that on the Fathers' Day stand?

I don't think anyone is going to be associating the fathers receiving that present with Fritzl. It really is just a book about crime.

I think the first statement Tesco made was spot on. It is censorship. It's bowing out to any minor complaint, which is something that's been happening a lot in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

"It would be touching on censorship if we removed it. Where would we draw the line? Would you like us to go through every DVD we sell removing those that some may find offensive?"

That's rich coming from a company that refused to display an album because it had a painting of a child with a birth-mark on the cover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/5335403/Manic-Street-Preachers-fight-Tesco-over-album-cover.html

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Should be a best-cellar!:D:D

Genius!!! I'm currently laughing hysterically!!! :L :L :L :L :L

• Advertisement

Daelus wrote: »
    I'm disappointed they changed their policy and took it off the shelves in the end.

What is wrong with people? So what if it's there on display? People get offended at everything these days. Can anyone here honestly say they'd be offended if they walked into Tesco and saw that on the Fathers' Day stand?

I don't think anyone is going to be associating the fathers receiving that present with Fritzl. It really is just a book about crime.

I think the first statement Tesco made was spot on. It is censorship. It's bowing out to any minor complaint, which is something that's been happening a lot in recent years.

Ah, here now. It's a bit tasteless TBH. A book abour crime has a section. i.e the crime section. It's not a hard task to put it in the right section. Hardly censorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Another classy move from tesco :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

stepbar wrote: »
    Ah, here now. It's a bit tasteless TBH. A book abour crime has a section. i.e the crime section. It's not a hard task to put it in the right section. Hardly censorship.

So a book about father's day goes . . . . ?

The father's day category is books that fathers, i.e. men, might like to read. I think it is suitable there; it is a story which gripped everyone with its depravity and shock factor. It's a current affair book and people are still curious about the whole Fritzl story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

nice job to tesco well done.some of the ouns guys just terrible but brilliant none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

Sparky wrote: »

This is the distrubing. Makes my skin crawl...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

It's a current affair book and people are still curious about the whole Fritzl story

I'm curious, freaked out and will read it with the hope of getting an insight into what kind of monster (father) would commit such crimes.

The fact that he is sane makes it even scarier.

Has anyone read it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

I just wish people could go back to being privately offended about some things. There's no need to make a national scandal out of every little irrelevant thing. People seem to be taking the mantra "the customer is always right" to the extreme these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

*insert puntastic joke here*

*awaits thanks*

The father's day category is books that fathers, i.e. men, might like to read. I think it is suitable there; it is a story which gripped everyone with its depravity and shock factor. It's a current affair book and people are still curious about the whole Fritzl story

I think Brian O'Driscoll sums up my point very well - "'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad". Cop on would tell you not to put a book of that nature out on father's day. I've no problem with the book, in fact I'd buy it were I to see it in a bookshop. Nor am I offended by it.

However, it's not an issue of censorship, it's a matter of cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

I think Brian O'Driscoll sums up my point very well - "'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad". Cop on would tell you not to put a book of that nature out on father's day. I've no problem with the book, in fact I'd buy it were I to see it in a bookshop. Nor am I offended by it.

However, it's not an issue of censorship, it's a matter of cop on.

They have plenty of cop on, free advertising from threads/articles like this and getting to play the anti-censorship card to make the public think they're the "good guys". Marketing genius if you ask me

• Advertisement
Advertisement