Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a Number , Double it , Double again and round to 100

Options
  • 21-06-2009 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=42609-qqqx=1.asp

By Ian Kehoe and Adrian Weckler

I smell a large rat here . A very very large rat .

There are so many mistakes and allusions and inappropriate comparisons and apocrypha in this rather short article that I would be banned by the mods were I to say exactly what I think of the authors and their journalistic standards.

This was on the front page of todays Business Post. FFS :(

I shall therefore confine myself to 2 points .

1. Bolding aspects of the article .
    2. €100 Million my HOLE .
    The new network, using a technology known as WiMax, is backed by five multinationals and Irish companies, and will go live in the coming months. It is being spearheaded by the Imagine Group, headed by entrepreneur Sean Bolger. The consortium says the network will be able to deliver speeds up to 30 times faster than those currently available to Irish consumers.

The €100 million fund will be used to part-finance a nationwide network of telecoms infrastructure. Construction has begun on the network in Dublin and Kildare, and the service is being tested.

The move will raise fresh doubts about the government’s National Broadband Scheme (NBS), which will cost taxpayers more than €200million.

The NBS is aimed at rural communities that are not served by broadband operators. However, the scheme only guarantees internet access at a fraction of the speed that WiMax claims to offer.

In the US, mobile operator Sprint-Nextel has embarked on a €3.5 billion investment programme to roll out a next generation network. Intel has invested over €1 billion worldwide in the WiMax technology, while internet search giant Google is also an investor.

The system is also being developed by Telefonica in Spain and Telecom Italia in Italy.

The WiMax move comes as the European Commission approved a proposal by the Commission for Communications Regulation to lower the price charged by Eircom to competitors for granting access to its network

Knowledge economies , it is often thought, rely on a basic building block called "arithemetic" .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw that article, it looked very dubious in its accuracy. But then it happens all the time in the papers, e.g. Sunday mail saying the govt has cut dole today. But it's poor that the SBP is being compared to that *****.

Lol, i just noticed it's co-authored by Adrian Wreckler.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Are they talk about migration of Ripwave to Wimax (which does help stop connection dropping at peak times and does reduce latency)? If so, it still won't deliver Broadband.

Only fixed WiMax on outdoor fixed aerials can deliver a Broadband experience. Mobile/Nomadic WiMax isn't much better than 3G.ON 3.5GHz with a limited number of bases it could be worse.

If the 100m is to pay for backhaul, modems, marketing etc then you get 180 bases. Rubbish coverage on 3.5GHz. For decent Nationwide & Rural coverage you'd need closer to 1,200 bases at that frequency.

Unless you can do a phone service that can compete with O2/Meteor/Vodafone, how do you pay for it? A truly Nationwide real broadband Wireless system based on Mobile WiMAx needs to charge users about €50 to €100 a month. The Mobile phone companies data packages are subsidized by voice calls.

Intel want people to use their chips. Imagine have fallen for Intel's WiMax hype and will end up spending money of their own too and having very little extra. You can see Imagine's Licences (IBB) and sites on Comreg's site.

Intel will see a large part of that 100M come back to them and it's cheap Marketing of their dying Mobile WiMAx. FIxed WiMax has a future, but LTE will kill Mobile WiMAx as it has been over sold since the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Remember this?

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/documents/Irish%20Broadband%20launches%20major%20national%20WIMAX%20rollout.pdf
    Irish Broadband, Ireland’s leading wireless broadband service provider,
    today (10th November 2005) announced a major initiative for the
    immediate rollout of WiMAX broadband networks to fourteen of
    Ireland’s major urban centres using standards-based WiMAX silicon
    from Intel Corporation.

What's been happening these last four years?

The 3.5GHz SDR version of Navini Ripwave was tested in Panama on WiMAx and found to offer little extra capacity. NTR owner of IBB then would not invest in upgrade.

Maynooth has 2 or 3 (paid for by who?) Mobile WiMax bases I think on 2.3GHz. Various nomadic & portable modems. They couldn't explain to me exactly what the research value was.

It wasn't delivering real broadband either, though much better latency than 3G.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

to be honest I'm completely ignorant on this topic but even in a perfect scenario (the 1,200 bases watty suggests as a starting point) can WiMax deliver NEXT GENERATION? I mean that might deliver universal broadband but surely no NGN???

@to_be_confirmed; re co-author ...
    I understand you point!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Next Generation is fibre to the home. Let's walk before we run.

Or at least Fibre to a cabinet very close to your home and then similar speeds via cable or copper pair to some fibre users today.

WiMax & LTE are not NGN. They can't even compete with average DSL. Not ever. Better than 3G though.

We have had fixed wireless over 4 years in Ireland that's better than any Mobile system can ever be.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Next Generation is fibre to the home. Let's walk before we run.
    :) well I would tend to agree... it was
    In the US, mobile operator Sprint-Nextel has embarked on a €3.5 billion investment programme to roll out a next generation network. Intel has invested over €1 billion worldwide in the WiMax technology, while internet search giant Google is also an investor.
    that led me to understand this was the purpose of the network discussed in the rest of the article. Thanks for the clarification.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

watty wrote: »
    WiMax & LTE are not NGN. They can't even compete with average DSL. Not ever.
    Mobile WiMAX, sure. Fixed WiMAX is some pretty nice tech, and easily comparable to DSL - better, because higher upload speeds are possible.

They should make SDSL avaiable on ADSL2+ / VDSDL for customers that need it. Or less assymetrical. the historic split isn't locked in stone. You can trade off download for more upload.

Yes I was refereing to Mobile, not fixed.

But Fixed WiMax has an up 10% wastage due to OFDM which isn't really needed on 3.5GHz and higher. I guess if possible they could reduce the symbol guard time on a LOS fixed system?

• Advertisement
Advertisement