Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed Regarding Options for Marture Student

Options
  • 21-06-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everyone

I hope you can help me. My friend is a bit desperate lately, he used to work in the building sector and has been layed off. He wants to retrain in business or something more stable. He is 27 and has a poor leaving certificate. He would prefer to do a part time course so that he can continue to look for work. My question to you smart people is - what courses are available to a mature student with a poor leaving cert? Do you have any advice or experiences that may help him on his path to secure empployment? He has asked me for advise, and personally i dont think he would be up to a bachelor degree educationally, but he is eager..

Any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Better home is mature students I think. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

anyone over 23 can enter college without their leaving cert results being taken into consideration as long as they satisfy the interview/personal statement stage.

all courses in ireland are on www.qualifax.ie together with fees and other information.

he may be entitled to a grant.he would need to contact the council about this.

there are lots of degrees out there now whereby even if you don't get to degree level you can still leave with a certificate or diploma so all would not be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

It might be a good idea to talk to the information officer in the Adult Guidance Service for your area.

Have a look here http://www.ncge.ie/adult_details.htm

They should have details of all the courses going on in their area as well as info on funding and financial assistance available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 asho123

hi,
    maybe he should consider doing a return to education programme such as the trinity access programme (TAP). If he is receiving welfare he can keep it as back to education grant.

Advertisement