Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new scope

Options
  • 21-06-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

i finally saved up over a grand for a new scope, something like a swarovski, schmidt, nightforce or similar quality brands, havent fully decided yet just hoping to find a bargain;),it'll be used for lamping foxes and long range magpie and grey crow bashing so high magnification would be needed and maybe an illuminated reticle so does anybody know of any good online sites or dealers around tipperary or munster where i might find one, new or 2nd hand it doesn't matter, its only goin on a .22 hornet yet but thats my next project to change to a higher calibre but god only knows when i'll have saved enough for that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Try ringing your local gundealer and see what he has or what he get in for you, they should be able to get in most brands.

Have bought from these before and they are very good.

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/department/23/RIFLE-SCOPES/

Or good old opticswarehouse in the uk.

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/categories.asp?cat=Telescopic%20Sights

I think its the third time today im after giving them a plug and no i dont work for them :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thanks i'll give them a look, my local dealer in nenagh only had a konus scope as his best in stock, i might try stakelums in thurles, i called them yesterday and they seemed ok on prices, what the story on tax if i buy something in from america on ebay or other american sites

all i need to do now is decide on a scope, i'm thinking of a
    bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 for about 600-650
    leupold vx-3l 6.5-20x56 for about 850
    zeiss conquest 6,5-20x50 for about 850
    swarovski av 6-18x50 for about 1000
    nightforce nxs 5-22x56 for about 1200
    nightforce nxs 8-32x56 for about 1400
    zeiss diavari 6-24x56 for about 1400
    or a schmidt and bender classic 4-16x50

anybody have any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

any one of them scopes ya listed will do the job u require
    the rest is down to personal preference and cost

id go for the schmidt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

+1 for schmidt and bender

+1 for swillington shooting supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

If you think of long range crows with the hornet you'll need target or bdc turrets to dial in the range and windage.
    I've had quite a few Schmidts and think they are great, but I'm also using a 6.5x20 zeiss conquest at the moment which I think is very good. The smaller 4.5-14 x50 should be perfect for the hornet. Very good value for money. The Bushnell elite sounds good too, but I've never had one.
    Glass quality on the Leupold is ok for daytime but dissapointing at dusk.

edi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

I have the bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 and cant fault it, lovely neat and tidy peace of glass. Very crisp and clear.But if you can get a swarovski for a grand id be going for that or the schmidt and bender. Here is my bushnell on my tikka t3 lite.

s8001064q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

ormondprop wrote: »
    i finally saved up over a grand for a new scope, something like a swarovski, schmidt, nightforce or similar quality brands, havent fully decided yet just hoping to find a bargain;),it'll be used for lamping foxes and long range magpie and grey crow bashing so high magnification would be needed and maybe an illuminated reticle so does anybody know of any good online sites or dealers around tipperary or munster where i might find one, new or 2nd hand it doesn't matter, its only goin on a .22 hornet yet but thats my next project to change to a higher calibre but god only knows when i'll have saved enough for that

If you know anyone in the USA buy it there, send it to them, they can then post it direct to you,no problem,much cheaper,and a better variety.Try cabelas.com
    To dear to buy anything here like that,even try UK

Advertisement