Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are short people discriminated against?

• 21-06-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

Do short people have less chances with the opposite sex are bullied etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bridget the Midget

/no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Ya, but only because they start threads in AH to moan about the discrimation suffered for being short. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Of course they are OP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yes, they don't make clothes to fit me. There's LOADS of women who are under 5'5'' and they don't make trousers short enough for us. I but short length trousers and even they're too long. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Whos talking? I can't see anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I think short (slim) women are adorable.. short men no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Step away from the keyboard, shorty.

No, OP, not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I once robbed a midget. I never thought I would stoop so low.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Try being 2m tall, sitting in economy class on an airplane, and then complain that short people are being discriminated against...

NTM

Try being 2m tall, sitting in economy class on an airplane, and then complain that short people are being discriminated against...

NTM

You should start your own thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its tall people that are discriminated against! You lucky midgets stay dry for longer when its raining!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No, sure they have their own brothel on Parnell street. What else would they want?

ok maybe we should decide how short is short so we are not slagging ourselves...

women I'd say under 5'2
    men under 5'7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Max Power1 wrote: »
    You lucky midgets stay dry for longer when its raining!:D

Except when they fall into puddles and can't get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yes, they don't make clothes to fit me. There's LOADS of women who are under 5'5'' and they don't make trousers short enough for us. I but short length trousers and even they're too long. :(

Yes but they don't make trousers to fit me either. The ones in the "normal" section are too short and the ones in the "tall" section are too long. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭suspectpackage

Overheal wrote: »
    Bridget the Midget

/no

:D

I bet every man in this thread knows who she is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I shop in the petit section and buy the short length and still I have to take them up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Midgets don't hit their heads off doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Yes, I've always looked down on short people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Is this about the OP not being allowed on the big rides at the fun fair?

Edit: That wasn't a euphemism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm under 5 foot myself but I dunno if I can say I get 'discriminated' against. Sure, my height is often commented on but so are my eyes and my freckles for example. So I don't think height is so much of an issue for women. It's probably much harder for men though.

And no, it doesn't cause any problems with the opposite sex OP.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

:D

I bet every man in this thread knows who she is!

You just lost your bet. How much did you wager? Here's a tip: never, ever bet on an "every" scenario. There will always be exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Yeah they're always expected to look up to everybody else and thats just the long and short of it !! I think its the lowest form of abuse !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but whats classed as short??

i'm a *5'8"man.........am i short, short size of average??

*same as Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

fryup wrote: »

Tom Cruise claims to be 5'8(AND A HALF!!!!). No way is he over 5'6 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Krac

In Basketball I would think height is a must, most times. Sorry op :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Krac wrote: »
    And conversely most pro gymnasts are short.

Dunno if they still have height restrictions in the gardai. They used to discriminate and they allowed shorter women than men, I never understood that, of course they will on average be shorter but if a 5'5'' person with boobs can be a gardai why can one without boobs not do the same job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

Yes, you're short... for a guy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

NTM

i know what you mean , im 6 foot 4 and i hate it , always have , you bang your head of everything , driving most cars is hell and people get tired of having to look up at you and as for it making you more attractive to women , complete myth , in fact ive always been of the opinion that normal sized people have a dislike of the very tall , id gladly swap with someone who is 5ft 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    id gladly swap with someone who is 5ft 9

how about 5'8" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I think short people probably are discriminated against. Whilst I reckon society as a whole gives a harder time to short MEN I find personally that I particularily unconciously discriminate against short women. I find it difficult to take them seriously (especially when they have squeaky munckin voices, which seems to be the norm with them).

The irony of it is that generally I find short women more attractive (except if they have a complex about thier height that is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the average height of barefoot males in ireland is 176.1cm which is approx 5ft 9.3

average height in other countries varies of course, in holland the average height of males is approx 6ft while in cambodia the average height of males is only 5ft 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'd say, more often than not, that they get discriminated 'on' rather than 'against'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Krac wrote: »

two of the best players in the nba (chris paul and allen iverson) are under 6ft barefoot

spud webb at 5ft 7 showed little men can play too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

how about 5'8" :)

whats an inch as the actor said to the bishop:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i'm 4'11.5'

is that short for a girl???:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i dont think theres a too short height for a girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*Page* wrote: »
    i'm 4'11.5'

is that short for a girl???:D:D
    Youre 2 inches shy of being a dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 senape

Yeah I'm 5'1'' (that one inch i feel is personal, i may be imagining it tho) Anyway I don't think I am discriminated against. I have a good few friends a similar height and even a couple smaller ;)

Sure I find it hard to find trousers, but just as much as any height or body shape that doesn't fit into 'regular' cuts available in shops. In regards to the opposite sex my tall friend reckons being short is best because you can go out with short men no bother and in her words 'all the tall men are taken by midgets like youse' haha

I think it's harder on men. I particularly like men 6ft+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

yea i think men get more slack if the topic is brought up. personally i dont mind my height, im 5ft8 but the shortest of the family.
    ahh well.

i guess like the last poster every little counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

is this discrimination at the carnival

http://www.just4yucks.com/images/5x/59016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Short people got no reason to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

mcowhey wrote: »
    is this discrimination at the carnival

http://www.just4yucks.com/images/5x/59016.jpg

in portadventura i wasnt alowed on most of the grown up things it sucked:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

abi2007 wrote: »
    I think short (slim) women are adorable.. short men no.

Ah man, I'm 19, was the oldest in my year, and still got looked down on. (pun intended)

But really, woman seem to go for 6ft+ :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I don't think short people are discriminated against. I do think that men can have a complex about it and tend to be a little more aggressive then the average height bloke...

Just have a quick froogle there, Al Pacino is only 5.5!!!

Point proven, if Scarface was a little bit taller so many lives could have been saved...

You think you can take me? You need a f**king army if you gonna take me!

Yes, I know it's 5:50 in the morning, I can't sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

NTM

Thats Gods punishment for them big American portions you great Satans eat.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Do not, I repeat, do not move to NZ. They don't make trousers or jeans in shorter than a 34" leg and there is no such thing as petite sections. Every shop you go to expects you to get them tailored to make them shorter. I've even complained to shops about it! I miss shops at home so much! I ended up having to order petite jeans online from topshop and get them sent over to me. People must all be tall here!

I dont think women are discriminated for being short. Im quite short (about 5 ft 3) but am in proportion so I am quite petite. I think a lot of men like the women to be a bit smaller, it makes them more protectful or something. I dont know if it works that way for men though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I on the other hand am 6'5", I am neither horribly underweight, nor horribly overweight. It is very very very difficult to find jeans that fit both my legs and my waist. They seem to assume everyone with legs as long as mine is either rake thin or drasticly overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hopefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement