Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

western city bypass

Options
  • 21-06-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

we got an informationsheet from sligo coco during the week about the western relief road. Does anyone know when they wanna build it and if they really gonna do it? I dont see the need of it and it would destroy a lovely area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

City bypass?

Sorry. I thought this was in the Sligo forum. LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

wrote: »
    City bypass?

Sorry. I thought this was in the Sligo forum. LOL!

LOL!! Small town by pass is more like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

ge_ch wrote: »
    I dont see the need of it

You've never been at Summerhill roundabout at 9 in the morning have you?

You've never been at Summerhill roundabout at 9 in the morning have you?

That's at the school, isn't it? Sure every town is like that near a school at that time of the morning.

That's at the school, isn't it? Sure every town is like that near a school at that time of the morning.

It's got nothing to do with being a school. Everone who does go to Summerhill from the Inner Relief Road comes off at the Caltragh Interchange and goes via an alternative route.

• Advertisement

That Inner relief road is to blame anyway. It's just a mini dual-carriageway in the middle of a town. Some relief that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I've heard about the road that is planned to go from the Caltragh interchange on the current N4 to the Strandhill, it is due to link up at the junction at Kevinsfort.

A western bypass would mean building a new bridge.

A western bypass just wouldn't be viable with all the commercial units and the docks out to the west. If a bypass is to be built it should be to the east but then we have to worry about the lake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

City? Actually maybe Sligo is a city its got its own whore rental business.

http://www.sligobabes.com/gallery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In fairness, there isn't a single town on this little island I would deem a "city" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

i know the traffic is bad on the relief road, but thats cause of all the traffic lights. and every town/city no matter how big has traffic problems at rush hour. not even a motorway can solve that.(by the way it says city on that sheet) i live at second sea road and when i look out the window i see fields, the bay and rosses point and thats soon gonna be a dual carriage way instead. it would go though archaeological sites and designated special area of conservation

• Advertisement

"It says it on the sheet"

Yes. Sligonians have this issue about being a city or something. It does be plastered all over the local papers. Even the council use it I think. I don't know why though.

The small part of Rotterdam I'm from has a bigger population then Sligo, The population of sligo only fills the Feyenoord stadium half full!! And I class Rotterdam as a small city.

"It says it on the sheet"

Yes. Sligonians have this issue about being a city or something. It does be plastered all over the local papers. Even the council use it I think. I don't know why though.

because they have a right to - since the cathedral was built it's officially a city.

Doesn't matter how many people live in it because that's not how a city is defined in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Sligo has a Cathedral means nothing under Irish law (or is Sligo thinking of going UDI route?). Lismore would also be a city by that definiton.

I think for somewhere to be deemed a city it must have a few characteristics or facilities including a cathedral and some others, I think a 3rd level education centre is on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

No.

The official definition of a city in Ireland is set by the Local Government act, which names the five cities: Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, and Waterford, which all have city councils with specific powers.
    The act also recognises that Kilkenny has a long history of being called a city, so it is allowed to call itself a city as a ceremonial thing, even though it does not have the same powers as a "real" city.

There are no other criteria: size, cathedrals, 3rd level institutes, old royal charters are not relevant.

so putting signs up with 'city center parking is not enough then?

Had to laugh when I saw those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Sligo is a gateway city :)

gateway to what?? The sheep in donegal?:D:D:D

The Cathedtral has nothing to do with it. Plenty of other towns in the country have one and we don't see them going about calling themselves a city. These Sligo ones must be jealous of Galway or something! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

This about the bypass not the City status of Sligo.

The type of road depends on a few factors mainly how much AADT is on the route. Im in favour for a eastern bypass of Sligo linking up with the N16 and then the N15.

The western bypass would be too expensive having to build a bridge/tunnel to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

tech2 wrote: »
    This about the bypass not the City status of Sligo.

The type of road depends on a few factors mainly how much AADT is on the route. Im in favour for a eastern bypass of Sligo linking up with the N16 and then the N15.

The western bypass would be too expensive having to build a bridge/tunnel to pass.

What is AADT? :confused:

Sligo could have had an eastern bypass earlier if it was not for the shortsightedness and greed of local politicians and businessmen. Now it would be more difficult and expensive to construct and the proposed new N15 won't help.

If a proper bypass is to be built than a bridge will have to be constructed no matter what route the bypass is to take.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    If a proper bypass is to be built than a bridge will have to be constructed no matter what route the bypass is to take.

Is there a river behind the mountains?

Which mountains?

If you go to the east of the town there is Doorley Park so for a bypass you would have to go further east. Then you have Lough Gill in the way.

The river which runs through Sligo is small anyway so it wouldn't b e that hard to get a bridge built.

The river which runs through Sligo is small anyway so it wouldn't b e that hard to get a bridge built.

:rolleyes:

♫, stop stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Have the proposers of this project not noticed this:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm stirring no pot. I'm making a point. It would be feasible to have a bridge built over the river as it is so small.

Advertisement