Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

western city bypass

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

You'd be surprised. You'd have to fins a feasible route either side of the town, West or East. The East is fairly densely populated and there is a lovely park there which has just been done up so it would be a shame to see that go so you'd need to go further East and then you have the lake and and hills in the way. And don't forget on the North side of the town you have the hospital, the I.T and more houses so you'd want to go around these for a proper bypass that nobody would be complaining about a few years into the future.

And to the West of the town there is Finisklin Industrial Estate on the South side of the river and Cartron to the North so a decent bypass would need to go around it and you have the port opposite Cartron so it's not as easy as "just build a bridge", where are you going to put it.

And don't even bother suggesting a tunnel, like that would ever happen.

Just out of curiosity ♫, when was the last time you were in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

I was in Sligo on the June Bank Holiday.

Well it's not as easy as just build a bridge. Where would you put it?

Across the river.

Sorry I couldn't resist that one.

I don't know you live there so you would have more of an idea. Could you not just build it beside the other one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Jesus H Christ ... a 5 minute delay at Summerhill Roundabout in the mornings and we need a fecking new bridge?

I'd rather see the money spent on our sick and elderly.... sorry for being so boring.

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking too. It happens everywhere.

Why would one do that, that's still in town and it wouldn't be a bypass then, a bypass would need to go around the section between Hughes Bridge and the junction with Ash Lane.
    And you need to build a road to link up with the bridge if it was to be built beside the existing one, where would that be built? There is so many building that would need to be demolished.

As Xiney said, stop stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Culchie wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ ... a 5 minute delay at Summerhill Roundabout in the mornings and we need a fecking new bridge?

Actually no, O'Connell St needs to be reopened to allow traffic through the town, not around it.

Actually no, O'Connell St needs to be reopened to allow traffic through the town, not around it.

Agreed, i'm just ranting

I'm not stirring the pot but I think it's another factor. That's it. I don't know why the council closed the street. Anytime I was on it there weren't even that many people there so it wasn't as if the footpaths weren't big enough. It made the traffic worse rather than better. From what I was reading in the local papers that seemed to be the public opinion as well. It wouldn't be too late to reopen as it's still the same as an ordinary street. It hasn't been done up or anything as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I'd rather see the money spent on our sick and elderly.... sorry for being so boring.

Forget Summerhill. Have you ever driven on the Bundoran Road in the morning?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Does Sligo really need another major road scheme? After all the inner relief road was only built a few short years ago.

I can't see how a western bypass of the town would easily reconnect to the Bundoran road on the Northside. Surely a route East of the town would be more logical?

Anyhow - given the current economic climate there's zilch money to built such a project. I'd say it's a decade or more away.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Given the current economic climate there's zilch money to built such a project. I'd say it's a decade or more away.

I would have to agree. There would hardly be enough money to transport those trees perched on O'Connell Street to reopen the street to traffic, let alone a new road. Those days are gone.

Essexboy wrote: »
    Forget Summerhill. Have you ever driven on the Bundoran Road in the morning?

How bad is it ....really .... 5 mins, maybe 10 .... as I said the hospitals need the money more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

How bad is it ....really .... 5 mins, maybe 10 .... as I said the hospitals need the money more.

Are you suggesting that money saved by not building decent roads in Sligo will be diverted to the hospitals?
    Come off it! Sligo General is already being run down by the transfer of cancer services to Galway, the closure of the stroke unit etc. and Garden Hill, a private institution, has announced cutbacks and job losses.

You hardly want cancer services in every County.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Ya your right. The Government have all the answers. The HSE is great. The County Council and Corporation are wonderful. There's really no need to worry or perish the thought express a view on anything. It's only right that investment should be place into Dublin and East Coast and/or Galway for last 20 years. we really should just learn to be at one with our little sheep herds and be glad to get plug tobacco to puff our little clay pipes, whilst admiring all around us. We don't know we are born. Gee thanks for all the good advice guys.

I sense your not telling the truth eh!

All I'm saying is you can't possibly have services in every county. Anyway with the current crisis there is no money for such projects. People will just have to sweat it out in their cars and sit in the traffic for a while longer. A car without motion won't kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

it's hardly a traffic jam anyway. at most you have a 15 minute delay and only at certain times. I don't think the traffic is bad at all.

I think I'm just more used to traffic then most people here, being from Rotterdam where there are traffic jams at 3 in the morning.

Saying that, is the traffic around sligo really worth spending millions? And is it worth disrupting the landscape etc around sligo?

There are only two a very short rush hours. I normaly started a half hour earlier end went home a half hour early and had no problems with traffic at all.

As I said it's probaly what your used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Essexboy wrote: »
    What is AADT? :confused:

Sligo could have had an eastern bypass earlier if it was not for the shortsightedness and greed of local politicians and businessmen. Now it would be more difficult and expensive to construct and the proposed new N15 won't help.

Average Annual Daily Traffic.

The Sligo bypass is a pipedream anyway with the current financial difficulties the country is in and also there is more priority schemes to start ahead of this one.

The Eastern bypass makes more sense as the N16 would then be linking to the N4. It looks difficult to implement both though.

• Advertisement

it's hardly a traffic jam anyway. at most you have a 15 minute delay and only at certain times. I don't think the traffic is bad at all.

I think I'm just more used to traffic then most people here, being from Rotterdam where there are traffic jams at 3 in the morning.

Saying that, is the traffic around sligo really worth spending millions? And is it worth disrupting the landscape etc around sligo?

There are only two a very short rush hours. I normaly started a half hour earlier end went home a half hour early and had no problems with traffic at all.

As I said it's probaly what your used to.

Exactly, well said.
    I have vans on the road 8.30am to 6pm, 6 days a week .... traffic around Sligo and the North West is a pleasure after 10 years in Dublin.

I think the going rate for 1km a road is up on €10 million .... so excuse me for thinking we have better uses for that sort of money than trying to eliminate a 5 minute 'traffic jam'.

Exactly, well said.
    I have vans on the road 8.30am to 6pm, 6 days a week .... traffic around Sligo and the North West is a pleasure after 10 years in Dublin.

I think the going rate for 1km a road is up on €10 million .... so excuse me for thinking we have better uses for that sort of money than trying to eliminate a 5 minute 'traffic jam'.

Aye. It's not that bad people. I'd rather see a bypass in Ballybofey!

wrote: »
    Aye. It's not that bad people. I'd rather see a bypass in Ballybofey!

Aye, now that's a town worth bypassing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

i would say sligos a city just look at the amount of effing traffic we get in the mornings and evenings:pac::pac::pac:

ryanch09 wrote: »
    i would say sligos a city just look at the amount of effing traffic we get in the mornings and evenings:pac::pac::pac:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Eastern bypass makes no sense, it would not connect to the relief road, as the interchange would be at Ballindrehid.

Here is the link to the EIS for the bypass.

http://www.sligococo.ie/media/SEA%20REport%20A4%20pages.djvu

You need DJVU to view it.

Here http://www.celartem.com/en/download/djvu.asp

The routes are mapped on page 65 of the document.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Roads open up green field land for development ... would be interesting to see who owns the land along the proposed western bypass, when it was purchased etc...

The proposed road across Cairns Hill has land owned by two (recently ex FF councillors) and a former member of the planning dept....

it's still in there despite objections to development from the Dept of Environment, Bord Failte, Archeologists, local residents ..

the lack of a FF majority on the council will be interesting to watch when it comes to votes on zoning, planning & development.

I read that the members of County Council have refused to approve the route identified by the executive for this road. My information is that this may be irrelevant becuase it forms part of a propsed national route and is the responsibilty of the NRA rather than Local Government.

IMO this road ought to have been built years ago instead of the Inner Relief Road which the local technocrats now accept as having failed in its purpose. Whether Irelands future economic conditions require such a road as part of an Atlantic Route is yet to be seen.
    However if it is built the road will more or less follow the route rejected by the CoCo on Monday.
    Anybody with the faintest knowledge of the Geography or Topography of Sligo Town will realise there is no Eastern Option and residents of the affected areas have not seen that last of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I read that the members of County Council have refused to approve the route identified by the executive for this road. My information is that this may be irrelevant becuase it forms part of a propsed national route and is the responsibilty of the NRA rather than Local Government. ]

Addendum Agreed to Section 10.2.7 On 20th July, 2009 Protects Areas Between Sea Roads, Cummeen & Carraroe

Sligo County Manager Defends His Position

Advertisement