Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arab owner takes 60% stake in PL club

• 21-06-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

But which one?
    UAE investor buys 60 pct of Premier League club - report

* Reuters, Sunday June 21 2009

DUBAI, June 21 (Reuters) - A member of a ruling family in the United Arab Emirates has bought a majority stake in an English Premier League soccer club, the official WAM news agency reported on Sunday.
    WAM did not name the club but said Sheikh Ahmed bin Saqr al-Qassimi has bought 60 percent of it, adding that details would be announced in a few days.
    Sheikh Ahmed, a member of the ruling family Ras al-Khaimah, will be honorary chairman of the club.
    Ras al-Khaimah is one of seven members in the UAE federation which also includes key oil producer Abu Dhabi and regional trade and tourism hub Dubai.
    Last year Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Masnour bin Zayed al Nahyan bought Premier League club Manchester City, while Portsmouth is the subject of a bid from another Abu Dhabi investor, Sulaiman al-Fahim.
    (Reporting by Inal Ersan; Editing by Ed Osmond)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8569679

Not Pompey anyway thats a different UAE investor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

please be liverpool for the love of god be liverpool.

better yet for the love of allah. I'll even wear a towel on my head for all our matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Everton I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

well liverpool would make sense - didnt the co-owner (cant remember which one:p) recently sell his stake in the Montreal Canadiens hockey team? Maybe they are desperate for the funds?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and the Arab version of premier league monopoly gathers pace as more friends join the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For Liverpool to be the club they would have had to buy out one of Gillet & Hicks and buy 10% off the other. Or 30% off each. Just cant see that being the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I could see them both selling 30% but there seems to be no knowledge of such a deal from any of the usual sources/supposed ITKs. However if something is happening it might explain the sudden resignation from the board by David Moores the other day.

I suspect it's not Liverpool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Was thinking West Ham myself, seeing as their new Icelandic bank owners said they wanted to get rid of the asset as quick as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Liverpool are unlikely i think because of the dual owners as a previous poster said.
    It's not Chelsea, United, City, Villa and i doubt it's arsenal. West Ham were just sold i think.
    Spurs? They are probably the most attractive of the remaining clubs

Liverpool are unlikely i think because of the dual owners as a previous poster said.
    It's not Chelsea, United, City, Villa and i doubt it's arsenal. West Ham were just sold i think.
    Spurs? They are probably the most attractive of the remaining clubs

I've read whispers that Everton have been in talks for ages, months and months. I don't k now, I'm just guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

It's Birmingham

may not be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I really doubt it's Liverpool for many reasons, like Ste said, with Hicks and Gilette it'd be impossible to get a majority stake, and if it really was Liverpool we'd have heard ever minor detail and comment by now, we're so public these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Liverpool are looking for an investor, but not for 60%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We did loose a board member out of the blue last week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Was thinking West Ham myself, seeing as their new Icelandic bank owners said they wanted to get rid of the asset as quick as possible.

Doubt it's West Ham as that would most likely be a 100% sale.

Not heard even a whisper of this on Spurs sites, so doubt it's us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I would say its everton or birmingham or maybe spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

maybe its BS

but if I was to guess it be Blackburn or Fulham

Headshot wrote: »
    maybe its BS

but if I was to guess it be Blackburn or Fulham

Well it's definitely not BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

JPA wrote: »
    I've read whispers that Everton have been in talks for ages, months and months. I don't k now, I'm just guessing.

hopefully - its actually been years and years - Kenwright means well, but just doesn't have the financial clout to move Everton forward - if Moyes left , we'd be in ruins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

tis definitely Birmingham.

But Kenwright doesn't own 60% of Everton or does he ? Thought his holding was much smaller ? Granted it could be that more than one shareholder has agreed to sell their state but it seems more likely that such a deal would have been between 2 individuals - the more people involved in it the more likely it is for word to have gotten out - which it hasn't until now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Its more likely Liverpool because of debt levels and the existing owners needing a large return. Any other club and it would be a complete takeover. It really can only be 1 of 2 Liverpool or Man Utd. Liverpool is more likely.

Its more likely Liverpool because of debt levels and the existing owners needing a large return. Any other club and it would be a complete takeover. It really can only be 1 of 2 Liverpool or Man Utd. Liverpool is more likely.

They are very very unlikely IMO.
    The bigger the club, the more chance of a leak.
    No freaking way is it United, maybe Liverpool but doubtful.
    It says a leading PL club, although that doesn't really narrow it down as they'll try to make them sound good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

podge018 wrote: »
    tis definitely Birmingham.
    Sure they're goin back down, what's the point in buying them?

It's not Liverpool because of debt.

Gillette just sold off the Montreal Canadiens for $550,000,000.

Hicks is selling Shares of the Dallas Stars, and Texas Rangers.

They were also last speaking to an Indian firm looking for an investor.

I woud be very shocked if it was Liverpool, and despite what you read in the papers, it deffinately wouldn't be due to debt.
    Dubai is in the middle of an economic crises.

We did loose a board member out of the blue last week ;)

I'm still trying to console myself.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I cant see it being Everton especially after the season they have i mean that is one of the last true english teams and i dont feel many of their fans would stand for it. I am thinking along the lines of Fulham however the seem like one of the clubs with potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Well it's highly doubtful that its Man United because if I recall the Glazers said they would only sell for £1 Billion.

And in todays climate who in their right mind is gonna fork out a billion pounds for a soccer team??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolves!

Fulham is my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Well it's highly doubtful that its Man United because if I recall the Glazers said they would only sell for £1 Billion.

And in todays climate who in their right mind is gonna fork out a billion pounds for a soccer team??

I don't think the Glazers have ever indicated at all that they were willing to sell, at any price (I reckon they would, but there have never indicated as such as far as I know). I am fairly certain that they wouldn't sell 60% though, they wouldn't become a minority holder and stick around imo. I would say the same with regards to a potential Liverpool takeover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Plus doesn't Spurs have quite a strong Jewish fanbase/influence? I'd imagine that'd make an Arab takeover more difficult and less likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

with the comings and goings at board level at liverpool i think they are a distinct possibilty. given the difficulties in refinancing and seeing as how theyy have been selling off hockey teams etc I give it a realistic shot of being Liverpool. Most likely to be Everton though or else someone like Fulham/West Ham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Liverpool are a possibility alright. It actually wouldn't be surprising to see the American's retain some stake in Pool. The club has a lot of unfulfilled commercial potential and with the right investment from a majority stakeholder a minority stake could still be worth a lot of money for relatively little input.

Fulham are most likely though i think. Al Fayed's interest has been waning for the past decade. And while they are a relatively small club, they are based in London and could potentially draw on a large fanbase with careful investment and rebranding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Reckon it's Everton alright.

Nothing about Liverpools current situation suggests to me they'd be able to keep something like this quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Doubt it's West Ham as that would most likely be a 100% sale.

Doubt it too. Considering Spurs' allegiance/association with the Jewish Community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I really really hope it's not Everton for selfish reasons. Another few years of Moyes doing well with pennies until Fergie eventually retires (no hurry!) and the offer of a big warchest to buy players tempts the Scottish Prince to take over.
    A big bucks Everton could ruin that.

Everton fans will actually run out of excuses if it is them.

Moyes has made some great buys in the transfer market, but despite popular myth, he has spent good money, and not all of it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Everton fans will actually run out of excuses if it is them.

Moyes has made some great buys in the transfer market, but despite popular myth, he has spent good money, and not all of it well.

I think thats a bit rich coming from a pool fan, Benitez has squandered the GDP of Iceland in transfer dealings since he took charge.

Moyes has made a mockery of other mangers with his shrewd signings, the lemons were few and far between, such as per koldup, and to a lesser extent players like vdm but largely the players fault than the managers.

signings like jags, lescott, arteta, piennear and cahill have been the best of any manger in the top flight money wise anyway, and you cant say for talent wise either.

I think next year will be quite interesting, Arsenal look the most liable of the top 4 to be replaced imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

legs11 wrote: »
    I think thats a bit rich coming from a pool fan, Benitez has squandered the GDP of Iceland in transfer dealings since he took charge.

Moyes has made a mockery of other mangers with his shrewd signings, the lemons were few and far between, such as per koldup, and to a lesser extent players like vdm but largely the players fault than the managers.

signings like jags, lescott, arteta, piennear and cahill have been the best of any manger in the top flight money wise anyway, and you cant say for talent wise either.

I think next year will be quite interesting, Arsenal look the most liable of the top 4 to be replaced imo.

Agree with most of your post except the last bit :p I'm waiting for the annual Arsenal to miss out on top 4 thread.

not getting into a tit for tat with you. but you really think Moyes has made all the best signings of any manager in the top flight?

Rafa has had some poor signings no doubt, but Moyes has too (hint:all managers will), just find it strange that a lot of Everton fans seem to ignore their bad signings while mocking other managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ill have to agree with legs11 here Alan

that doesn't really surprise me headshot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Not likely if we don't have as many injuries as we had last season.
    I think we'll challenge for the title next season if we get a strong new DM and the team below starts most games

Almunia

Clichy Gallas Toure Sagna

New DM/Song

Nasri Fabregas

Van Persie Adebayor Arshavin

Think Wenger's being better signing players too

Clichy Pittance, Toure Pittance, Sagna £6.1m, Song £1m, Fabregas Pittance, Van Persie £2.75m, Adebayor £3.5m, Arshavin 15m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Spurs are a PLC so if it was them then it'd be appearing on the stock market.

Fingers crossed its Everton, if its only 60% that means BK can still be chairman as well

Well the report at the weekend did say the Sheik would become the new honorary chairman so if it is Everton then it sounds like BK won't be staying on in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Almunia

New DM/Song

Nasri Fabregas

Ye would want to win every game playing 12 players!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I think someone in the middle east is playing a horrible joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

My bet is that it's Fulham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Almunia

New DM/Song

Nasri Fabregas

Thats 11 players, and ye would still have eduardo, walcott, rosicky on the bench
    would vermaelan not walk into cb though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Almunia

New DM/Song

Nasri Fabregas

New DM/Song = New DM or Song

• Advertisement
Advertisement