Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to learn about building engines

• 21-06-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I would love to learn about building engines and the rest of cars. I have a very basic understanding of engines and would love to learn more. I have found car maintanance courses etc but its not just the basic basics I'm after. I'd like to be able to build an engine with the hopes of one day being able to restore or even completely rebuild a car.

Does anyone know a course that I could do, such as a year long one with exams etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If interested in rebuilding engines for restoration projects etc and not building engines, as in designing from new, you could possibly go to work in an engine remanufacturing workshop. You would learn a fair bit about putting them back together, wear tolerance etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

mickdw wrote: »
    If interested in rebuilding engines for restoration projects etc and not building engines, as in designing from new, you could possibly go to work in an engine remanufacturing workshop. You would learn a fair bit about putting them back together, wear tolerance etc etc

Thanks dude but I have a full time job so I was hoping to do something at night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Saw a thread on this Haynes product recently, might be as good a place as any to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭alo1587

You could go to your local breaker and ask them for a scrap engine,you'll get it for free.Take the whole thing apart and put it back together,thats the best way to learn.Use a haynes manual for the particular car/engine,there's loads of info in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Saw a thread on this Haynes product recently, might be as good a place as any to start?
    thats in argos for a lot less.

and about the scrap yards giving out free engines... best of luck:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭alo1587

garyegt wrote: »

and about the scrap yards giving out free engines... best of luck:rolleyes:

I dont see why you wouldn't get a free engine if all the ancilliaries were taken off it,it had a warped head/blown headgasket,and a hole in the block from a conrod after s**tting itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's plenty of cars going for free on adverts if you want to go down that route.
    You'd have to be quick though, they move really fast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Start small. Strip down and rebuild a lawnmower engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭budhabob

garyegt wrote: »

You have a link for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Start small. Strip down and rebuild a lawnmower engine?

thats a great idea, now to get me a lawnmower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement