Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are people who moved to australia for the year raging now

• 21-06-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

..with the absolutely terrific summer we are having here. my sister is in palma and it was raining today while i was out playing tennis and then to the beach and then on to an evening BBQ. so fun :p

my connection between australia and the weather is that i heard many say they couldnt handle another summer washout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

No. Because they have jobs and a semi functioning economy. Oh and a day of sun isn't a reason to post on boards.oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

they don't all have jobs in fact i reckon most don't. ah anyway australia is in the backarse of nowhere, don't know why anyone would go there.

did you know dublin recieves less days of rainfall than london, the only difference is that when it rains here it really rains. its rained once in june where i live and it was in fairness a total washout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/Unemployment-rate.aspx?symbol=AUD

Unemployment rate of 5.7 percent. Most people there have jobs.

Are you just pissed off because they wouldn't let you in?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Still, it would be great to not be surrounded by so many miserable, pessimistic so-and-sos ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

In all fairness though today is their first day of winter so crappy weather is to be expected, in 3months time when its a miserable wet rainy september theyll be having nice weather
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_does_Australia_have_its_winter

• Advertisement

i didnt even know australias weather, i mentioned my sister in majorca who went for the sun after her leaving and the weathe is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

i didnt even know australias weather, i mentioned my sister in majorca who went for the sun after her leaving and the weathe is awful

So why is the thread title not "Are people who went to Majorca for a holiday raging now?"
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

they don't all have jobs in fact i reckon most don't. ah anyway australia is in the backarse of nowhere, don't know why anyone would go there.

did you know dublin recieves less days of rainfall than london, the only difference is that when it rains here it really rains. its rained once in june where i live and it was in fairness a total washout.

did you know that dublin is the driest part of ireland , the wettest parts of ireland recieve significantly more rain than the wettest part of the uk and far far more than london

ireland actually doesnt get intense periods of rainfall traditionally , the likes of florida recieves more rain in total over the entire year but unlike ireland , miami isnt overcast for two - thirds of the year

well i dont live in ireland i live in dublin don't i :)

and meh ireland is in northern europe it has ok weather imo could be better could be worst

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

and meh ireland is in northern europe it has ok weather imo

are you kidding? it pissed rain and was freezing all morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I preferred Sydney in the rain than Ireland in the sun tbh.

copacetic wrote: »
    are you kidding? it pissed rain and was freezing all morning.

no it didnt:confused:

I preferred Sydney in the rain than Ireland in the sun tbh.

why it is a generic city nothin that great about it really, much nicer areas like the west of ireland in the sun tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

no it didnt:confused:

what time did you get up with you lazy fecker? I was out early and got soaked and frozen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I despise the heat and even hate Irish summers for the few days of warmth so Australia is my idea of hell on Earth.

The amount of people telling me it's been cold these past few day really annoys me because i'm sweating like a bastard the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i doubt many went to aussie land for the weather :D

and nobody will ever be jealous of our weather, when it doesn't rain for 75% of the summer in ireland, its seen as a good summer here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a strange thread

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i doubt many went to aussie land for the weather :D

Must be all the ****ty minimum wage jobs that the natives won't do and dangerous wildlife that attracts Irish folk then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

..with the absolutely terrific summer we are having here. my sister is in palma and it was raining today while i was out playing tennis and then to the beach and then on to an evening BBQ. so fun :p

my connection between australia and the weather is that i heard many say they couldnt handle another summer washout.

Huh?? Terrific summer?? Where the hell are you? We've had a few good days where I am! Met.ie promised me a good day today...had the bags packed for the beach this morning...woke up to misty rain and overcast sky, and it lasted for the day :( I want some of what you're having!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Huh?? Terrific summer?? Where the hell are you? We've had a few good days where I am! Met.ie promised me a good day today...had the bags packed for the beach this morning...woke up to misty rain and overcast sky, and it lasted for the day :( I want some of what you're having!

its been a decidedly average summer so far but then again it only began the last few days of may , up to that , the month of may was easily the wettest on record , june is so far though a marked improovement on last year so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I'm not sure, I don't think you are either.

Capital City: Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

yeah but the few sunny days are the exception to us....

to them the rarly get rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ah yeah. Sure the only reason you'd go to Oz is for the good weather.

Stupid thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I've left for the summer (Canada), we're having great weather here, but I have to admit I am mildly irritated that I missed such a good summer at home!

People are on the phone to me bigging it up to extraordinary proportions, 'heatwave' is a term I've heard alot!!!!Woulda been nice to see ireland in the sun seeing as we hadn'ta single day of sun last year!! Is it really that hot at home?

Still it's really lovely and sunny here in canada aswell.Heading down to the beach now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Wtf!?Id pick Oz over here Any day!,And OP its actually winter over there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I've left for the summer (Canada), we're having great weather here, but I have to admit I am mildly irritated that I missed such a good summer at home!

People are on the phone to me bigging it up to extraordinary proportions, 'heatwave' is a term I've heard alot!!!!Woulda been nice to see ireland in the sun seeing as we hadn'ta single day of sun last year!! Is it really that hot at home?

Still it's really lovely and sunny here in canada aswell.Heading down to the beach now!
    LOL heatwave my arse we got a week of it then it just went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol. It's winter here and yet it's still only maybe 3 degrees colder than the good oul Irish summer. Yes OP, I'm ragin :rolleyes:

LOL heatwave my arse we got a week of it then it just went

That's kind of the definition of heatwave there champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Must be all the ****ty minimum wage jobs that the natives won't do and dangerous wildlife that attracts Irish folk then.
    the gorgeous women

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Ah yeah. Sure the only reason you'd go to Oz is for the good weather.

What else? The "bush". A barbecue. After visiting the Sydney Opera house what is left to do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Wtf!?Id pick Oz over here Any day!,And OP its actually winter over there right now.

And the temperatures in some of the cities is better than here!! I've been there three times, and was in Bondi on a Friday with lovely weather, in Goulburn on the Saturday with snow. People could not believe that we had snow!

Is it me or does the sky seem higher in Australia??

I'd pick Australia over Ireland any day, and not just for the weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

asdasd wrote: »
    What else? The "bush". A barbecue. After visiting the Sydney Opera house what is left to do?

Really?
    You actually want an answer to that? If so I'll reply when I'm not on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

asdasd wrote: »
    SV wrote: »
    Really?
    You actually want an answer to that? If so I'll reply when I'm not on mobile.

Re visit the bush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol. It's winter here and yet it's still only maybe 3 degrees colder than the good oul Irish summer. Yes OP, I'm ragin :rolleyes:

I'm sitting here with every heater blasting at me and with a blanket over me and I'm still cold. It most definitely is winter in NZ at the mo.

On that note, on my ipod touch I have dublin and wellington in the weather so can check side by side. Last week it was one degree warmer here at the same time of day than Dublin!

Crazy stuff altogether. I am looking forward to winter being over though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Oh I have to agree with the OP on this one. I came here last Monday for the year after been made redundant from my job back home... and I have to say... I'm raging.
    • Raging because even tho its winter its STILL warmer than back home.
    • Raging because I'm only here a week and I'v already got work.
    • Raging because the women here are much better looking than the fat ugly cows back home.

Yep... I'm raging alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Damn immigrants going to Australia and taking all of their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah I'm raging ......

ah anyway australia is in the backarse of nowhere

Stupid statement... Australia is considered as a continent, you might as well have said Europe is in the backarse of nowhere. Better still, the Earth is in the backarse of nowhere in this universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Comparing an Irish summer to an Australian winter and still coming up on the short end.

This thread just has way too much FAIL.

Comparing an Irish summer to an Australian winter and still coming up on the short end.

Comparing an Australian winter to an Irish winter and all I see is Austalian Epic Fail.

the fact that it is hot in winter makes the place seem even more of a hellhole. Even california can get frost in the winter.

Winter. Supposed to be cold. The best climate, to my mind, is continental. How in Summer. Cold in Winter. Give me a cold night, a nip in the air, a bit of frost, a pint in a pub with a fire.

Ireland's winter problems is that it can be too warm. Warm and murky.

Also, since you can do the continental climate in Europe, which is close to interesting stuff, why go half way across the world to a hot Milton Keynes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well I'm here(Oz) now, yes the last few days have had some rain, yet it would still hit at about 15 or 16 degrees. Then today, it was a bit over 20 in Sydney.

So its naturally hotter, so absolutely no jealousy here. Not missing out on too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

jesus OP the weather was nice for a few days at the start of the month but it's been lousy lately, just the usual overcast nonsense. As for moving to Oz for the weather, yes that's what i liked best about the place, having good weather allows you to do all kinds of stuff you can't do here, like live an active outdoors life without being covered in mud and rain all the time. My main gripes with Ireland are the weather and the amount of scumbags here.

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    • Raging because I'm only here a week and I'v already got work.
    • Raging because the women here are much better looking than the fat ugly cows back home.

Yep... I'm raging alright...

There's plenty of jobs flipping burgers in Ireland too, you didn't have to go half way across the world. Also Australian women look like leather handbags by the time they reach their late 20's.

Hey, but at least people will think you a super-cool interesting dude because you went to live in another country right? RIGHT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

There's plenty of jobs flipping burgers in Ireland too, you didn't have to go half way across the world. Also Australian women look like leather handbags by the time they reach their late 20's.

Hey, but at least people will think you a super-cool interesting dude because you went to live in another country right? RIGHT?

I have seen more leather handbags in Ireland than I ever have back home. Mainly calling out to Jaciiiiiintaaaaa and Britneeeeeee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I never got the whole Irish student fascination with Australia. Especially when the people that go there, usually go in groups, drink and work in Irish bars, associate and mix with only Irish people and generally spend the year getting pissed with sun-burnt Irish people in a slightlier warmer climate.

Then they all come back depressed and bore everyone ****less waffling on about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

I despise the heat and even hate Irish summers for the few days of warmth so Australia is my idea of hell on Earth.

The amount of people telling me it's been cold these past few day really annoys me because i'm sweating like a bastard the whole time.

Time to get a new job

I never got the whole Irish student fascination with Australia. Especially when the people that go there, usually go in groups, drink and work in Irish bars, associate and mix with only Irish people and generally spend the year getting pissed with sun-burnt Irish people in a slightlier warmer climate.

Then they all come back depressed and bore everyone ****less waffling on about the whole thing.

But, man, they experience a whole different .........something....... while they're over there.

It's just travel for the sake of travel and as you pointed out they come back and bore the **** out of everyone except other people who've been over there.

There's plenty of jobs flipping burgers in Ireland too, you didn't have to go half way across the world.

Who said anything about flipping burgers?, Actually the reason I came here was to get away from all the nay-sayers like you, people who haven't got a clue what their talking about when they open their mouths.

Judging from your posts on this thread I reckon you've never even stepped foot in Australia.
    It's just travel for the sake of travel and as you pointed out they come back and bore the **** out of everyone except other people who've been over there.

Plus, I came here on my own, not with a group. But at least whenever I do go back to Ireland I'll have stories and pictures to show family and friends. What have you got? Stories about how your afraid of the sun and how you sweat like a "bastard".

Plus, I came here on my own, not with a group. But at least whenever I do go back to Ireland I'll have stories and pictures to show family and friends. What have you got? Stories about how your afraid of the sun and how you sweat like a "bastard".

I know this wasnt addressed to me, but what I - someone who doesnt get the Australian thing - can show is time working in the US, Germany, and am now in England. I acutally got tired of the West Coast of the US after a while, but Europe would take a lifetime to explore.

The thing about Australia is it is English speaking, Pretty much an Anglo culture ( as is ireland), and - well - hot. Thats it. There is more difference within Europe.

You went far in distance, but not culturally, Germany, France and Italy are more different o Ireland. And better culture. After Sydney ( which is not London, Paris, Barcellona, edinburgh etc.) what? There are countless gems of villages, and small cities across Europe. And you can ski in Europe.

The weather in Ireland rarely bothers me, I have plans to go back this w/e and agreed to go golfing. I would be surprised if that has to be called off, after all I can golf ( and run, and cycle) in drizzle, showers, or light rain. And I am expecting none of that.

So I am all for travel. But I dont get Australia. Certainly not for a year of your life.

Actually the reason I came here was to get away from all the nay-sayers like you, people who haven't got a clue what their talking about when they open their mouths.

Awwwww. That's cute. Are you going to cry because the bad man said bold things about you?
    Judging from your posts on this thread I reckon you've never even stepped foot in Australia.

Ya reckon? God, you're smart.

Yeah and my stories will be about as interesting as yours to most people because the won't give a flying **** about either of us. But, hey, at least you got to pay to uproot yourself and leave your family and friends behind to have some stories to tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement