Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista install hangs on expanding files

• 21-06-2009 9:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My uncle's Vista installation is hosed. I'm not quite sure how it happened except that it froze on him and he unplugged it. Now it won't boot up properly, log-in, nothing. It's a 3 year old Dell Dimension. I've run hardware diagnostics, CKDISK, etc and everything checks out fine.

However I've been unable to repair the Windows installation so I'm now trying to do a clean install for him using the Vista disc - but that's not working either. I've booted from it and it gets as far as "Expanding files 0%.." and stops. I've tried waiting up to 30/40 minutes but it won't progress any further.

The only thing I haven't done is reformat the hdd - is this likely to make any difference? Any other suggestions for what's wrong?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you tried
    a) booting to Safe Mode or one of the other Advanced Menu Boot modes.
    or
    b) logging in with a different user, profile might be corrupt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Have you tried
    a) booting to Safe Mode or one of the other Advanced Menu Boot modes.
    or
    b) logging in with a different user, profile might be corrupt.
    Safe mode wouldn't work and it wasn't even getting as far as the login screen. After startup there was just a black screen with the cursor on top. Task manager wouldn't work either. The windows repair program on the cd said everything was fine. :rolleyes:

Anyway I managed to do a clean install. Formatting the hdd seemed to fix whatever was stopping the installation from progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Vista instal would need 15Gb free space so perhaps that was why you couldnt instal without formatting ?

A little late now , even if that was the cause :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nessyguin wrote: »
    Vista instal would need 15Gb free space so perhaps that was why you couldnt instal without formatting ?
    That was my first thought as well - but there was about 80Gb+ free.

Advertisement