Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New E Class Saloon & Coupe

• 21-06-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭

When are these models being released here and any ideas on pricing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mickdw wrote: »
    When are these models being released here and any ideas on pricing?

Whenever Mercedes Ireland get their current stock levels down to a decent amount - probably 2011 if current sales are anything to go by :rolleyes:

Not worth asking a dealer or even Mercedes themselves. I'm trying to find out when the C220cdi Blue Effeciency models will be available (Auto comes in to the lowest BIK category) but can't get an answer out of anyone! Looks like we'll have to import one from the UK (where they are listed on the Merc website).

Pricing is rumoured to be cheaper or the same as the outgoing models due to the lower CO2 emissions, but currently Merc are giving crazy discounts on stuff in stock, just to shift it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darraghos

The e class (saloon) is available now, they have it on the mercedes web site but you have to contact the dealer for a price. I saw a new one on the streets o Blackrock a few days ago.

The E class coupe should be available from September in the larger engine sizes and November onwards for the 250CGI and 250CDI. There will also be a 220CDI available late Q1 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

darraghos wrote: »
    The E class coupe should be available from September

Suckers Mercedes-Benz customers should note that the E class coupé is in fact made from C class bits, and only called an E class to justify the price.

yeah, it is the cash cow of the mercedes range, but the interior is similar to the E class range. Mercedes are rumored to be bringing out a proper (saloon) c class coupe in 2011, so the E class coupe may evolve in the next iteration to be based on the e class floor plan.

• Advertisement

darraghos wrote: »
    yeah, it is the cash cow of the mercedes range, but the interior is similar to the E class range. Mercedes are rumored to be bringing out a proper (saloon) c class coupe in 2011, so the E class coupe may evolve in the next iteration to be based on the e class floor plan.

But the one that hasn't even landed here yet is the very first E class coupé!

The old one was called the called the CLK, which was honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I saw them a few weeks ago in the UK, hideous looking yokes. For a while I genuinely thought they were KIA's or some other Korean brand. Looks like Mercedes have lost the plot in the design department now as well as the mechanical side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Zube wrote: »
    The old one was called the called the CLK, which was honest.

But it was priced as if it was a Coupe version of the E-Class.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    But it was priced as if it was a Coupe version of the E-Class.

It was a pricey C class coupé, and labelled as such. That was honest. The new one will also be a pricey C class coupé, but with a dishonest "E class" badge.

a common theme in reviews i have read since the launch in march is that the E class saloon is more fun to drive than the coupe. with strong opposition such as the a5, it will need to have something going for it. i have a clk and while it not the most exciting car to look at the comfort level and quality of the interior is excellent so i hope the e class coupe continues that theme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I rang alot of merc dealers. Most didnt know. One guy in dublin gave a rough date of end of July. Most were busy and couldnt come to the phone.
    I dont think they will hold back the new model for too long just to clear stock. Its kinda shooting yourself in the foot as people are aware of the new models and are more than capable of going to uk for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I saw a couple of the new model E-Class when I was over in Italy and didn't like them any more in the flesh. I just couldn't find one angle on the car that I found appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Saw a navy W212 E220 this afternoon, while passing through Goatstown.
    First impression? Looks like a compact S class. Looked ugly in navy / dark blue.

Damn, I was thinking that they may just look the part in the flesh. The odd design of the rear wheel arch area might work if the wheels really fill out the arch. High spec models look good I think but will have to see them in reality to get a proper idea

Saw a navy w212 E220 this afternoon, while passing through Goatstown.
    First impression? Looks like a compact S class. Colour was hideous

Are they in ireland?

i agree, it needs a body kit to stand out.

yes, i saw one also in Blackrock, brown metallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Found this on autotrade.ie :

Pretty agressive pricing....
    New Mercedes-Benz E-Class arrives

The much-anticipated new Mercedes-Benz E-Class saloon - a car which the Stuttgart manufacturer claims will become the benchmark in its segment in terms of comfort, safety and environmental compatibility - has now arrived on the Irish market.

In a move which underlines the determination of Mercedes-Benz to recapture market share in the luxury car segment, the first model to arrive here is the four-cylinder, 170bhp E220 CDI which comes on the market at €43,600 (ex works) - a price which chief executive in Ireland, Stephen Byrne describes as stunningly competitive, especially in view of its vastly enhanced level of specifications.

Two further models will arrive in September - the E200 CDI and E200 CGI Kompressor, for which similarly attractive prices are expected to be announced shortly. A feature of note for Irish motorists is that all manual transmission E-Class diesels fall into Band B with annual road tax of €156 with all automatic versions coming in Band C with road tax of €302 per annum.

The E220 CDI is powered by a 2.2-litre, bi-turbo, common rail direct injection engine which delivers 400Nm of torque with a top speed of 229kms and a 0 – 100km/h time of 8.0 seconds. It has fuel consumption of 6.9 litres/100km (urban cycle) and a CO2 rating of 139g/km.

With its more powerful styling and impressive detailing, the new E-Class is distinctly more modern than the model it replaces. Amongst its most significant features is a distinctive new V-shaped grille and new twin-lens headlight design. Adding a sporty touch are front daytime running lights positioned low beside the air ducts under the bumper line.

Looked at from the side, its wedge-shaped profile rises towards the rear to give the car a pronounced shoulder line which combines with a muscular rear section to create a strong, confident appearance.

As always, comfort and interior refinement are central to the E-Class experience with every detail formed to convey that sense of security that has been a feature of the E-Class for many years. Long-distance comfort has been improved even further thanks to intelligent body-shell technology that boosts rigidity by up to 30 percent. Seating too has been improved and a newly developed suspension fitted with shock absorbers that automatically adjust to driving conditions.

In true Mercedes-Benz tradition, safety remains a major element. The E-Class reputation as a trend-setter in this field is one that has been recognised for more than 50 years.

In the new version, an array of standard safety features includes a mix of the very latest assistance and protection systems. One item is a drowsiness detection system that uses feedback from over 70 sensors to monitor behaviour and alert the driver when the time to take a break becomes evident.

Another first-in-the-world option are headlamps that dim automatically to avoid dazzling on coming traffic, a new proximity control feature, parking assist guidance and reversing camera, improved pedestrian protection and the full array of driver and passenger airbags, including a new pelvis airbag.

Outstanding safety and comfort features are matched by advanced environmental compatibility and economy. With a drag coefficient of only 0.25, the new E-Class is the world's most aerodynamically efficient luxury saloon. All models consume less fuel - with consumption down by up to 20% - and have emissions within strict Euro 5 guidelines.

In all, there are twelve models in the new E-Class range - six diesel and six petrol versions of which eight boast BlueEfficiency credentials. Engines offered consist of 4, 6 and 8-cylinder units with outputs from 136 bhp to 525 bhp. Other right-hand drive diesel models in addition to those already announced are the E250 CDI and E 350 CDI - all with Blue Efficiency. Other petrol versions are the E 250 CGI, E 350 CGI, all with Blue Efficiency.

Through direct injection and turbo charging, newly developed 4-cylinder engines deliver higher output and torque than the comparable V6 engines of the preceding series, despite a smaller displacement. In 6-cylinder units, fuel consumption is 23 percent lower than before. In diesels, common rail technology works to deliver impressive fuel economy/performance.

All new E-Class models come in a choice of three design and equipment lines that include higher-spec Elegance and Avantgarde versions. Visual highlights on standard versions include a 3-louvre grille, 9-spoke alloy wheels and interior appointments that include steering wheel and gearshift in leather and eucalyptus wood trim elements.

Elegance versions have chrome trim features and upholstery in three discreet and stylish colour combinations. The Avantgarde package emphasises the agility of the new E-Class with its distinctive front bumper design, bi-xenon headlamps and sporty alloy wheels. A wide range of optional features includes Airmatic air suspension with adaptive damper tuning and a direct steer system for even more reduced steering effort.

Commenting, Mercedes-Benz sales manager in Ireland, Ciaran Allen said: “Another item of good news for owners comes in a study by German researchers Bahr & Fess which predicts that the new E-Class will retain its value better than any other car in the luxury segment.”

“In their report, they predicted that the new E-Class E250 CDi version will be worth 62.5% of its current value in three years,” he said.

E-Class%20Mercedes-Benz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/mercedes-gambles-on-future-1794636.html
    Mercedes claimed that while at the beginning of 2008 prices against the BMW 520d and Audi A6 would have read: E-Class €61k, BMW €54k and A6 €46k; they would now read Merc €43k, BMW €47k and Audi €42k. A massive turnaround in anyone's books

Whatever is the world coming to? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

wouldnt want to have bought one beginning of 2008!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was told yesterday that the E class Coupe was due in next week. I'll let ye all know more if I see it in the local showroom.

Wossack wrote: »
    wouldnt want to have bought one beginning of 2008!

Wouldn't want to be selling any used ones :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

All we need now is the banks to dole out some finance.
    I've got a E220 cdi thats taking root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Did anyone see Merc's new ad? The one where the pensioner is waiting for his daughter and her new bf to arrive? The ad couldn't possibly do any better at reinforcing the message that it's older peeps that drive Mercs*

*says the guy with the Rover 75 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

The banks who financed previous merc sales through HP will be getting worried about the 'Half Rule'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

All we need now is the banks to dole out some finance.
    I've got a E220 cdi thats taking root.

In fairness now, some banks are. Took me all of 5 minutes to arrange a loan last week. I'm almost beginning to wonder what all the fuss is about.

Great strategy from Merc on this one, I'm sure the Bavarian boys will sit up and take notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Threads merged.

And yes that is savage pricing on the E-Class, but it'll DESTROY residual values for existing customers...

Anyone know prices for the different spec levels on E220 cdi saloon and is the 250cdi coming soon.
    From the photos, the entry model (spec) doesnt appear to work from any angle really but others look quite good.

-Chris- wrote: »
    And yes that is savage pricing on the E-Class, but it'll DESTROY residual values for existing customers...

Dealers who have existing stock of unsold E-Class will be hit hard - we understand that. But there are more consumers than dealers and the one-off drop in residual values is not necessarily a bad thing for the consumer. Here's Eddie Cunningham's take on this...
    For anyone thinking of a new E-Class there is a psychological as well as financial leap. The new car may be considerably less expensive but the value of your two or three-year-old E-Class is also substantially lower.
    However, you should not have to pay any more (and probably no less) to change than you would a year ago. The cost of change is the central sum to chase down and quantify. You may not like the trade-in quote but the item to focus on is the amount of money you have to hand over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Threads merged.

Yep, i wonder what an owner of a January 2008 E220CDI would be offered from a dealer in part-ex for a new E220?:)

Seriously, Under 30K?(:eek:)

Dealer would surely be looking for 15k to 20k + to change to new model from an 08 im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A drag of 0.25, 0-100 in 8s and 139g/km CO2 and a list price of €43k are very impressive figures indeed for the E220 CDI. Bring on the competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

I'm not too gone on the styling. Along with the W211, it does have more than a whiff of large Kia or Daewoo look to the front to it initially.
    However, i wasnt overly keen or wowed by the current S-class when it appeared first, but the design grew on me, and i think the new E will follow suit. A poster here who has seen it in the flesh compared it to a shrunken S class in looks, so maybe there's hope for it yet.
    The pricing is very competitive though, definitely given the sector a shake-up

tc20 wrote: »
    The pricing is very competitive though, definitely given the sector a shake-up

I don't really think they're shaking up the sector, more like being the last ones to the party.

Audi advertise the A6 for under €40k, and you can get a 5-Series for €47k - both of those prices are before haggling.

I think either Merc came in at this price point or they may as well hang up their boots.

Anyone know a price of a new E220 cdi imported from uk?
    There are also alot of them listed on Autotrader with very small miles and a few thousand off list. Mostly basic spec though

I wonder what an old model e220 is worth right now new on dealer forecourt. Wouldnt dream of it although some will be delighted with a bargain

• Advertisement

I don't really think they're shaking up the sector, more like being the last ones to the party.

Audi advertise the A6 for under €40k, and you can get a 5-Series for €47k - both of those prices are before haggling.

I think either Merc came in at this price point or they may as well hang up their boots.

Ya mercedes were nowhere with emissions etc until now. However they really have put it to bmw & audi with this. I thought we woud see a creep back up with the prices as each new model was introduced by the manufacturers. Seems not. If the ecomony was good, I think it would have happened.
    BMW will have to be competitive with the next 5 series now.
    Audi I think have fallen behind with the minor changes to the A6 although it is well priced now

I think that Quote by Eddie Cuningham is what we keep trying to reiterate on here. And I'm sure if you'll do a search it's been said many a time.

Who are affected now are those who want to sell up their Merc and get out of the finance they owe. Most people who bought on in the last 1-2years are in negative equity. Fair enough the cost to change is the same, but you owe a hell of a lot more than what your sitting in.

They're the last of the big three to the party alright, but they are arriving with a bang. Merc was always more expensive compared to similar Audi but the difference has now disappeared almost completely. No offense, but a RWD merc is going to win over a FWD Audi with a Skoda engine. Unless Audi slide down the prices. Is that sub 40k a 170bhp A6? It will need to be...

unkel wrote: »
    Is that sub 40k a 170bhp A6?

2.0TDi 170 is €43,680.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

For the record, AFAIK, the 140 bhp 2.0 CR TDI in the basic A6 isn't in any Skoda yet!:D. They have the PD engines yet!

Still though, whens the next A6 due Chris?

• Advertisement

2.0TDi 170 is €43,680.

So more expensive than the Merc then! That's not looking good for Audi, I'm afraid. I can also see Merc taking away sales from BMW here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

How is the A6 being mentioned in the same sentence as a E Class Merc & BMW 5?
    Disgusting creature of a car.
    Just personal opinion of course.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Still though, whens the next A6 due Chris?

AFAIK 2012
    unkel wrote: »
    So more expensive than the Merc then! That's not looking good for Audi, I'm afraid. I can also see Merc taking away sales from BMW here.

I can see Merc reclaiming the sales they lost from BMW & Audi, but they're hardly going to corner the market.

In terms of the price comparison - in all honesty, most of my customers don't ask for 170BHP, and don't want/need/see the benefit of RWD. It's only the petrolheads (like us) that would pay the extra for the extra BHP.

I really think it's going to come down to trade-in value. I think the Merc market will be flat because the depreciation Merc drivers suffered will stop them from changing.
    You'll see A6/5-Series/Lexus GS trade-ins against the new E-Class because it's good value and apparantly a lovely car.
    I think anyone trading in an E-Class anywhere is going to be having a very depressing conversation that will probably put them off changing for a while...

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    How is the A6 being mentioned in the same sentence as a E Class Merc & BMW 5?
    Disgusting creature of a car.
    Just personal opinion of course.

And you're entitled to it.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I'd be choosing between the 5-Series and the A6, the Merc or Lexus (or Jag) wouldn't get a second glance.

If we all liked the same things, life would get boring pretty quickly!

The current 5 series BMW is by far a superior car than the new Mercedes E class will ever be. The Merc is already an old mans car just looking at it.

If new merc is inferior to current 5 series then merc are in trouble. After all, 5 series is about to bow out at this stage. Will be interesting to drive the merc.
    Im sure this new one will be miles ahead of the old E class in terms of dynamics, certainly they did wonders with the 2006 S Class in comparison to the old one re driving dynamics imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

2010-mercedes-e-class-14_460x0w.jpg

1393837_1.jpg

Oh dear :o

mickdw wrote: »
    Anyone know a price of a new E220 cdi imported from uk?
    There are also alot of them listed on Autotrader with very small miles and a few thousand off list. Mostly basic spec though

"the first model to arrive here is the four-cylinder, 170bhp E220 CDI which comes on the market at €43,600 (ex works)"

Hmm, so how does this stack up with the UK prices?

It's difficult to do a like for like comparison because the above is for the manual version and the UK only have the automatic E220 CDI. Merc's website hasn't been updated with the Irish prices yet and apparently the above model will be the only one available in Ireland until September.

But we can still have a good stab at this.

The OMSP of a brand new car is usually 90% of the list price. Therefore the VRT payable on the manual E220 CDI would be €43,600 × 90% × 16% = €6,278.40

UK Prices...

Source: E-Class Saloon price list. Effective from 1 March 2009

Recommended on-the-road price (£)¹
    MODEL Technical data Transmission SE Avantgarde Sport
    E 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Diesel – 2,143 cc, 4-cylinder, 170 hp 5-speed automatic² 28,863.30 – –
    E 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Diesel – 2,143 cc, 4-cylinder, 204 hp 6-speed manual³ 28,925.00 31,425.00 32,925.00
    Diesel – 2,143 cc, 4-cylinder, 204 hp 5-speed automatic² 30,413.30 – –
    E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Diesel – 2,987 cc, 6-cylinder, 231 hp 7G-Tronic 7-speed automatic4 – 34,430.00 35,970.00
    E 350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY Petrol – 3,498 cc, 6-cylinder, 292 hp 7G-Tronic 7-speed automatic4 – 36,320.00 37,820.00
    E 500 Petrol – 5,461 cc, 8-cylinder, 387 hp 7G-Tronic 7-speed automatic4 – 45,510.00 47,010.00
    ¹ Recommended on-the-road price: these prices reflect the Road Fund Licence applicable to the standard model plus £613.93 additional costs necessary to put your car on the road.
    Included are a standard UK delivery charge (£489.36 incl. VAT), new vehicle registration fee (£55.00), number plates (£19.57 incl. VAT) and fuel (£50.00 incl. VAT). VAT is calculated at the standard rate of 15%
    ² With Tipfunction and Speedtronic cruise control ³ With Speedtronic cruise control and hold function 4 With Direct Select and Speedtronic cruise control

Looking at the E250 prices we see that the manual is £1,488.30 cheaper than the automatic. Let's reduce the price of the UK E220 auto (£28,863.30) by less than £1,400 to £27,500 as a starting point to compare.

Today's €/£ rate 0.851
    E 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY UK manual £ 27,500 est.
    Less UK 15% VAT £ 23,913.04
    Euro price (plus 0.7% commission) € 28,296.63
    plus 21.5% VAT € 34,380.40
    plus VRT (€ 6,278.40) € 40,658.80
    plus 12 months motor tax (€ 156) € 40,814.80

In theory you can have a brand new UK E 220 CDI manual on the road in Ireland for the price of a ferry ticket plus less than €41k. The Irish price of €43,600 is an ex-works price so you can add on the price of delivery and dealer options. I need to ring tomorrow to find out how much that will be! TBH, that markup is far less than that of BMW but still it shows that there's room for even lower prices. Bring on the cheap Mercs!

Volvoboy wrote: »
    2010-mercedes-e-class-14_460x0w.jpg

1393837_1.jpg

Oh dear :o

The Kia looks nicer tbh, more reliable and probably half the price. I really think people buy Mercs because of the status thing. The only proper Merc starts with the S class, all the small ones just don't hit the spot as regards value for money or quality. The same goes for BMW, buy the poverty spec one and you'll live to regret it in so many ways.

Ah get real, the merc looks v good in that pic and the kia is sh1te.
    I would always have said that proper mercs start with the E Class & I doubt that will change with this E Class as it should do everything very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement