Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ability to sell Campervan these days

• 21-06-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

I'm considering putting my campervan on the market and was wondering what effect the 'recession' has had on sales. Has anyone here bought or sold recently and if so how did they find it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Disclaimer: I have a vested interest in seeing lower prices as I am helping a friend source one.

We started by looking in Germany - lot of choice, good prices even this late in the season.
    However they will likely buy one from Ireland or UK as prices here have dropped dramatically. Of course there are those who are still asking "Irish" 2007 era prices - but they are asking, not actually getting the things sold. My friends have been doing a lot of laughing, not always after putting down the phone, at hopelessly optimistic sellers.
    Right now we are looking at a 6 berth up in Donegal that has dropped from €26K asking in Sept to €19,500 now - and it will have to go a bit further as my friend is finding he cannot unload the classic car and the 4 x 4 he hoped would fund part of it. Same model and year and mileage is available in NI for £14k which when VRT is added would be about the same as the Donegal option (the vehicle weight seems to be 2810kg ish - too far away from the magic 3000kg I think).
    We are seeing most activity on donedeal and autotrader (leisure - caravan section). Buy& Sell et al seem pretty hopeless.
    I know that information is not what you want to hear if selling - but that's my opinion anyway. It will have to be well priced (and unlike many Irish sellers give it a seriously good clean and polish first! the real decision maker will most likely be a woman)
    Good luck! db
    ps: if its a RHD, 4+ berth with U lounge and another seating area forward for about €17k send me a pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Out of curiosity whats the make model and age of the €19500 one in Donegal ?
    dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I have a vested interest in seeing lower prices as I am helping a friend source one.

We started by looking in Germany - lot of choice, good prices even this late in the season.
    However they will likely buy one from Ireland or UK as prices here have dropped dramatically. Of course there are those who are still asking "Irish" 2007 era prices - but they are asking, not actually getting the things sold. My friends have been doing a lot of laughing, not always after putting down the phone, at hopelessly optimistic sellers.
    Right now we are looking at a 6 berth up in Donegal that has dropped from €26K asking in Sept to €19,500 now - and it will have to go a bit further as my friend is finding he cannot unload the classic car and the 4 x 4 he hoped would fund part of it. Same model and year and mileage is available in NI for £14k which when VRT is added would be about the same as the Donegal option (the vehicle weight seems to be 2810kg ish - too far away from the magic 3000kg I think).
    We are seeing most activity on donedeal and autotrader (leisure - caravan section). Buy& Sell et al seem pretty hopeless.
    I know that information is not what you want to hear if selling - but that's my opinion anyway. It will have to be well priced (and unlike many Irish sellers give it a seriously good clean and polish first! the real decision maker will most likely be a woman)
    Good luck! db
    ps: if its a RHD, 4+ berth with U lounge and another seating area forward for about €17k send me a pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

coming from some who has just bought i would agree with dowtchaboy,some sellers paticularly dealers are still trying to sell at 07 prices but watching the market over the last few months the prices have dropped and the big savings that were available in germany are gone with the fall in Sterling it has made the uk the best option,their is also some good deals to be had from private seller here in ireland,so as a seller you may need to adjust your expectations and for some one considering buying it may be a good time to buy,but as the saying gos it only worth what somebody will pay for it

v10 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity whats the make model and age of the €19500 one in Donegal ?
    I'd be strung up if I told you before they went to see it or decided against it! As it happens this one seems to be an exception - they have found other vans (mid to late nineties) in Donegal are still unrealistically high - they are seeing much more movement around Dublin and surrounding counties.
    Another strange thing - they have called a number of the bigger dealers with their requirements and the actual hard cash they have ready - and are getting ho-hum/couldn't be arsed/ call us back sometime attitude - strange - the first things a sales guy is supposed to learn are:
    (a) find out how much money the customer has in their pocket (b) do whatever it takes to get ALL of it.
    These guys are about as busy right now as estate agents - so why aren't they biting my friends hands off?
    (joke: why don't estate agents look out the window before lunch?
    Answer: 'cos they'd have nothing left to do in the afternoon....)
    db.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Got this recently for under 19500
    its 02 70K 7 berth, and very tidy...most people were looking for that money for far inferior machines.
    Marty.

• Advertisement

martyc5674 wrote: »
    its 02 70K 7 berth, and very tidy...most people were looking for that money for far inferior machines.
    Marty.
    Fair dues! that's VERY good for an 02 - Irish, VRT paid and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Marty.

Ye seems very good value alright .. would have been looking for 10k more for mine so might be hanging on to it for another while so ! :p

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Fair dues! that's VERY good for an 02 - Irish, VRT paid and all?

Yes all done..was imported in 04 i think(have all that paperwork too and all the manuals for everything in it!)..the log book or whatever its called these days arrived today, came fully taxed too!!
    Everything works too bar the horn but ve that fixed now..needs a leisure battery..they seem expensive!!
    Im pretyy good @ finding bargains :pac:
    Marty.

Everything works too bar the horn but ve that fixed now..needs a leisure battery..they seem expensive!!
    Im pretyy good @ finding bargains :pac:
    Marty.
    Yes the leisure batteries are steep, especially at the caravan accessories shops. Worth checking out the trade suppliers though - there's a crowd in the Marina in Cork (O'Connell Brothers maybe?) - dunno who does them in Dumpland. (section deleted)
    If you are tempted by non-trade sellers or ads in the free ads papers (or car boot sales) be careful - if a battery is left for a long time without being charged it can become totally unuseable. Our neighbour used her brand new disability buggy a couple of times then left it for 6 months or more without plugging it in - and she had to pay the guts of €300 for a couple of replacement batteries. So before you buy agree "sale or return", or test it with some serious load.

Might be initerested in one of those batts...im limerick...where in cork are you??...the only thing is were heading off this weekend and id ideally like one before then.
    A bloke in town i just rang has one for €90 so im going to pop up to him @ lunch and if it suits ill prob go for it
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

Marty.

That's ridiculously cheap. What make/model is it?

SourKraut wrote: »
    That's ridiculously cheap. What make/model is it?

Its an adriatik 670 DK, its on a Fiat ducato chassis and cab..2.8JTD.

I put up a thread with adriatik 670 a few weeks back when i was buying...theres a few links there to layout etc.
    I wouldnt say ridiculously cheap..just value for money.
    Marty.

Advertisement