Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Budgie died, 1 left should I get a new partner?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

One of my budgies died and the partner is left and seems quite stressed which is to be expected. The bird that is left has always been very panicky despite my attempts to tame it so I'm more worried about getting another bird. I presume I should get another one to keep it company? I'm not sure the cause of death of the budgie I got worried a few months ago when it started acting bit different brought it to the vet twice but he sad he couldnt find anything, tbh vets seem to have limited knowledge about birds although I've read it's very hard to diagnose illness in birds. Any advice on a new partner would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

center15 wrote: »
    One of my budgies died and the partner is left and seems quite stressed which is to be expected. The bird that is left has always been very panicky despite my attempts to tame it so I'm more worried about getting another bird. I presume I should get another one to keep it company? I'm not sure the cause of death of the budgie I got worried a few months ago when it started acting bit different brought it to the vet twice but he sad he couldnt find anything, tbh vets seem to have limited knowledge about birds although I've read it's very hard to diagnose illness in birds. Any advice on a new partner would be welcome.
    It is best for you to get another bird. Budgies are very social animals and are always happier with a companion to preen and chirp to. A bird that has suffered a loss to a companion will gladly accept another bird. One Budgie is less likely to try new things such as food, however, when there are about 2 or 3 budgies, once one tries it they all want to!

So yeah IMO get another one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the remaining budgie is in good health, then I'd get another one asap.
    Ensure you have the new budgie in quaratine for a while esp. if from an unknown source (eg a pet shop that's not sure where the bird came from and the budgie would of been in close contact with lots of other birds so to be on the safe side).

Perhaps someone on here can recommend an avian vet in your area, or if you can get a vet that also works in fota sometimes, they usually have more experience with exotics.

We were down to our last budgie and were debating wether or not to get another one she was very lonley and like yours wasn't the most people oreintated bird but she was a character. We deceided not to get any more birds, it took me a while to deceide wether or not to rehome her or not to someone with another lonley budgie. The idea of sending her off was torture because we've had her so long but we found a lovely home for her and the minute she saw the other bird it was love at first sight and it made the decision so much easier. She usually takes a while to get used to a new bird, very fussy about her men, but she took to him and vice versa straight away it was so sweet, almost made you shed a tear.

So I would deffo. get your bird another friend you'll see yourself how happy they will be.

Sometimes birds die though and it's hard to figure out why esp. when vet knowledge is limited. All you can do really is try and find a more experienced vet and in the mean time keep the area clean, change poop soiled paper daily (newspaper is better than anything) ensure no scented candles or teflon etc. is used around them and a good diet with safe fruit and veg if you can get them to eat it.

If you get another bird buddy post some piccies if you can not enough bird photos on here

In regards Vets, not sure if there are any that specialize in Exotics in cork.
    There are two in Dublin, Barbara O'Malley based in Bray(wicklow) and John Bainbridge based in Rathmines, Stillorgan and Dundrum

That's where there's a problem in Ireland not enough exotic vets, Cork to Bray is a fierce distance grand if you can travel it and it's something minor but in an emergency or if the lenght of travel is too stressful for the animal it would be a nightmare trying to get there.

Even where I am in Tipp it's over 2 hours to Bray 2 and a half at least if I don't go the motorway.

That's where there's a problem in Ireland not enough exotic vets, Cork to Bray is a fierce distance grand if you can travel it and it's something minor but in an emergency or if the lenght of travel is too stressful for the animal it would be a nightmare trying to get there.

Even where I am in Tipp it's over 2 hours to Bray 2 and a half at least if I don't go the motorway.
    I agree, it is a bit ridiculous with the lack of exotic vets in Ireland considering the large amount of people who keep exotics as pets(we've 2 bearded dragons, 1 tortoise and 4 ferrets and are based in Kilkenny :mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've decided to go with a new partner. The one thats left is a male (blue cera) should should I go with a male or female partner?

Either should be fine, all the boys I've had over the years got on great together but the female was always picky but she was fine once it was just one boy, two or three was a crowd.

If you can get the budgie from somewhere where you can return him/her if they don't get on well that would be great but I would say they'd both be glad of the company shouldn't be any problems.

Advertisement