Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou McDonald - The Week in Politics

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Unless I am mistaken, Mary Lou McDonald no longer has a position of power. She is neither a TD, Local Councillor or MEP.

She is a president of the Sinn Fein political party. Why is she still on TV speaking on Political matters which should be for elected representatives? She is not representing anybody. Shes just there to waffle on behalf of her party - but surely that should be the job of a TD/MEP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Didn't Declan Ganley get lots of air time on various TV shows. Surely he isn't representing anyone either (except his own self interest). So what is the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

I was thinking the same myself. She has no mandate, so she only speaks for herself. I want my spot on the week in politics now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

I think that woman is a glove of Gerry Adams and has no voice of her own. She blurts in the same voice and tone as Gerry except in a Dublin accent. She has no mandate, no power, no figure and certainly no passion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Didn't Declan Ganley get lots of air time on various TV shows. Surely he isn't representing anyone either (except his own self interest). So what is the difference?

He was running for election, was a party leader and lead the Lisbon No Campaign. Obviouslly he is going to attract media attention. As should Mary Lou prior to an election but she was voted out by the people and no longer has a position of power. Her opinions are worthless as she cant do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

well she did get thousands of first preference votes in her constituency - obviously some people still want to listen to her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Max Power1 wrote: »
    well she did get thousands of first preference votes in her constituency - obviously some people still want to listen to her.

What about all the other candidates who got thousands of first preference votes, yet failed to meet the quota. Should they be allowed speak on political programmes? I am specifically refering to candidates who are neither a TD, Local Councillor or MEP. There nothing, bar a member of a party.

Sully wrote: »
    What about all the other candidates who got thousands of first preference votes, yet failed to meet the quota. Should they be allowed speak on political programmes? I am specifically refering to candidates who are neither a TD, Local Councillor or MEP. There nothing, bar a member of a party.
    But she's not speaking as a TD, she's speaking in her own capacity, as an unelected member of a political party. (And a recognisable member of the party at that)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

She's vice president of a party that had TDs and councillors, 4th biggest party in the state. She's kind of seen as the "down south" sinn fein leader so I think its fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So Libertas (if they were still in existence) would only have been allowed airtime before a European election in your view?

Would they not find it virtually impossible to create an understanding of their policies (if they had any) if only given a window of a month or so every five years.

Isn't this just a plan for maintaining a status quo of the old guard in Irish politics?

Politicians don't just worry about their profile in the two or three months before an election, in this media age, every day is needed to get your face (and policies if you have any) onto the television,radio,net,papers etc. Just because they have failed once does not exclude them from trying again.

Did Mary Lou McDonald only lose her seat in Dublin because they were reduced from 4 to 3? (genuine question. this is how I understand it, but I may be misinformed)

Did Mary Lou McDonald only lose her seat in Dublin because they were reduced from 4 to 3? (genuine question. this is how I understand it, but I may be misinformed)

As far as im aware she polled 4th so if there were 4 seats she woudl have got one.

Also, who decides who is allowed to speak on a political programme? Its a private radio station so they can have whoever they want on. Freedom of speech anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The Provos can send anyone they wish to represent them. RTE can invite anyone they wish to have on their shows. Wouldnt worry too much about it. Shes a fitting mouthpiece for them. All talk, no clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

She's vice president of a party that had TDs and councillors, 4th biggest party in the state. She's kind of seen as the "down south" sinn fein leader so I think its fair enough

Isn't that Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin's job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

She was filmed in front of Leinster House for the news, would she have access to the premises at all at this point, or does she have to be invited by an elected member inside?

What does her current 'title' permit her to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Folks this is really really stupid. Fair enough she is not a TD but neither is Gerry Adams for that matter. She is however party vice president and as the dublin MEP canidate for sinn fein you are going to hear her a lot now that Nice 2 has been re presented.

Surely this is political discussion like. Why is Mary Lou argueing against nice again

Surely this is not all we have to say about mary lou?

ps I know its lisbon 2 and not nice 2 but I figured while we are having a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Seems a little too big for her boots, time she steps up to the reality that she wasnt wanted in the european parliament and retreats like all the other failed candidates.

To me, she has forgotten herself! cant she swallow her pride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Nope, she was eliminated prior to Eoin Ryan, so any blaming of the decrease to 3 seats cant be!

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/european/dublin_counts.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Nope, she was eliminated prior to Eoin Ryan, so any blaming of the decrease to 3 seats cant be!

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/european/dublin_counts.html

Either way though, it was her or Higgins who was going to take the seat. They were in the top five, with Ryan seeking surplus votes from De Rossa (Small Amount), and Mitchell (the FG Europhiles who would set aside party politics for another Pro EU head in power). Save for Ebhiln Byrne's pathetic showing, which didnt even properly transfer to Ryan anyway, both MLM and Higgins were going to get transfers from all sides. Most notibly Higgins, who was picking them from everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Look, there was only one reason why she was on the programme. It was due to the feature that they were doing about Sinn Feins identity crisis. Simple as that. Dont think we will see that much of her from now on in.....except for maybe Lisbon 2 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm of the opinion that the end of her political career has begun, if she had gotten elected in Dublin (which I thought she would) then she may have hung in there but now I'd be very surprised to see her take a seat in Leinster House. They should have ran Nicky Keogh in Dublin Central in 2007 (he'd have walked in) and put her in underneath him as a councillor, she could have then used that position to build a profile and a reputation for work on the ground; the most important factor in a Sinn Féin candidates chances of electoral success. Instead they jumped the gun, did a complete 180 on their policies and political philosophy nationally, and parachuted her into the constituancy where she got a cool reception. And rightfully so, it was cynicism of the highest degree.

Sinn Féin have invested heavily in this one person, part and parcel of their policy of creating a party of friendly faces and centrist, populist platitudes as opposed to the solid graft and radicalism that made them popular in the first place. Mary Lou, and the southern Sinn Féin project are currently in deep crisis, and they have a lot of things they need to iron out. Personally I view that project as having too many inherent contradictions to fix though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Unless I am mistaken, Mary Lou McDonald no longer has a position of power. She is neither a TD, Local Councillor or MEP.

She is a president of the Sinn Fein political party. Why is she still on TV speaking on Political matters which should be for elected representatives? She is not representing anybody. Shes just there to waffle on behalf of her party - but surely that should be the job of a TD/MEP?

Well shes one of SFs main spokespersons on the Lisbon treaty for one, and Vice President of the party. Of course she should be entitled to be on TV shows discussing Lisbon or other political matters. This is a stupid thread!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think we've seen the last of Mary Lou. She's going to want to keep her profile high between now and the next general election. But if she fails to win a seat again that probably will be the end of her alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Sinn Fein have lost the southern people. People can't understand them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's up to any party to nominate anyone they want to speak on their behalf. OF course, they run the risk of people asking questions like yours, sully, and also of the spokesperson themselves being confronted with the fact during debates, but I guess they feel it's just a risk worth taking.

Now Gerry Adams, on the other hand, is a feckin MP! but that's another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I was thinking the very same thing myself!

Not only was she on TV debates since her Euro defeat, but she has also been on several radio shows in recent days spouting off as if she had got the job, surely the victors should be in the limelight & not MLM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is there some rule that only elected politicians can be on tv or should we also ban male gynaecologists?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Camelot wrote: »
    I was thinking the very same thing myself!

Not only was she on TV debates since her Euro defeat, but she has also been on several radio shows in recent days spouting off as if she had got the job, surely the victors should be in the limelight & not MLM ?

Yeah I agree only elected people should be allowed to speak :rolleyes:

I commend her really for keeping herself in the limelight even though she lost

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

RTE ask SF for someone from the party to speak and they pick McDonald. Where is the mystery?

eoinbn wrote: »
    RTE ask SF for someone from the party to speak and they pick McDonald. Where is the mystery?

That they pick someone who the public said no to?! Or perhaps that she is the only good candidate that can speak on behalf of her party. Either or.

I can see why she would have been chosen but you would have thought SF would send an elected representative to such discussions. I personally would prefer to see elected representatives of party's on these discussion rather then those who tried and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I can see why she would have been chosen but you would have thought SF would send an elected representative to such discussions. I personally would prefer to see elected representatives of party's on these discussion rather then those who tried and failed.

Among the factors that parties consider when deciding who should represent them is the promotion of candidates or prospective candidates. Sinn Féin seem to give more weight to that than do other parties. That's why MLM gets so much exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was asking the same question when I saw Patricia McKenna on with Vincent Browne last week. Spose they have to try to keep their profile for when they run for office the next time.

Advertisement