Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxtail - and how best to cook it

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Got a full oxtail in the butchers, thinking of some slow braising method of cooking it, any good tips?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out Minder's recipe from the "Here's What I Had..." thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57422824&postcount=1181

Go to 'Search this Forum', enter 'oxtail' & select 'Show Posts'.

FWIW - I split the tail at the joints, brown gently in oil, add carrots, onions, celery, leeks & turnip (or whatever veg takes your fancy). Thrown in some thyme & a few bay leaves & almost cover with beef stock. Then simmer gently for 2 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Whatever way I cook it, I find that when I eat it I can happily go another six months without trying it again. It's extremely rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A friend did it , slow braised in a tomato and red wine base.
    Very rich and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Check out Minder's recipe from the "Here's What I Had..." thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57422824&postcount=1181

Go to 'Search this Forum', enter 'oxtail' & select 'Show Posts'.

FWIW - I split the tail at the joints, brown gently in oil, add carrots, onions, celery, leeks & turnip (or whatever veg takes your fancy). Thrown in some thyme & a few bay leaves & almost cover with beef stock. Then simmer gently for 2 hours or so.

Did this and added half a bottle of wine and boiled down to almost dry before adding the stock. no turnips though.

Was tasty alright, even mrs carrawaystick was well impressed and it wasn't the day for hearty food today though...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Did this and added half a bottle of wine and boiled down to almost dry before adding the stock. no turnips though.

Was tasty alright, even mrs carrawaystick was well impressed and it wasn't the day for hearty food today though...
    Excellent. Glad you & the missus enjoyed it. From what I hear it is not exactly 'stew weather' back home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Stupid question and I should know this, but is ox tail really cow tail?

:cool: Funny feeling that may be the dumbest question I ever asked in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Yup - cow as in cattle - but most meat animals are male, the females (cows) being kept for milk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I see. Thank you :)

And thanks for not being a smartass about it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

well they were male before an encounter with the burdizzo....

In Spain they eat the tails of bulls killed in the Corrida, probably wouldn't be allowed here....

Advertisement