Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter to the Insurance Company

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm renting a house out, I was told by the letting agent to let the insurance company know in writing that the house is rented. Why would he ask me to do this & what exactly should I tell them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

When you originally took out house insurance for the property you possibly were insured as an owner occupier. Not as your details have changed, this would be regarded as a material fact i.e critical information. Your present insurer may or may not insure rented accomodation so do check. The contents will be the responsibility of the rentor. I would call the insurance compnay and ask about the change of use to rented accomodation and see what they say. Write down the name of the person that you were talking to, what they said, date, time etc. You may then want to follow up a summary of the conversation in letter form, again keep a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

What would you need to say in the letter, do you have to give the names of the tenants & everything?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I doubt you'd need to give the tennants name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The insurers will want to know if the tenants are a family/couple or individuals sharing the house such as students. Expect a cold reception for the latter. If you are keeping some of your contents in the house, you can still cover them. However, a lot of standard covers such as accidental damage may be excluded. Also remember that theft by persons lawfully on the premises (tenants) will be excluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I'd probably be using a new insurer

• Advertisement
Advertisement