Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Medicine

• 21-06-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi would anyone have a sample timetable for 1st year med in UCC?

What are the hours like in general?

And if you would have the assessment structure for 1st yr too, that would be great thanks! :)

rgnmb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

look up the book of modules on the ucc website. it'll have all the details you require. the timetable could be found on the site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

That timetable can be pretty hard to figure out if you're not used to it...

What you'd be looking at is around 20 hours or so a week between lectures, labs (not many of these), tutorials, clinical sessions and dissection sessions. There are 5 medical modules and there is some form of continuous assessment for all of these. For the FM modules you do an exam consisting of MCQs and essays worth 50% of each module a few weeks after finishing covering the material in lectures etc. For CP you might have a small essay or MCQ but when I was in first year we had 2 OSCEs (don't ask me what it stands for - basically you'll be taking histories, being examined on surface anatomy, taking BP, pulses, heart and chest sounds etc.). For BH then you have to do learning logs but these are a bit pointless and are a formality.

Then in summer you have a written exam in every subject...

Oh yeah... Last year the first years had spot exams for anatomy but I don't think this years first years will...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

Check out:

http://www.ucc.ie/medstud/

It has loads of information and gives the inside track in studying med at UCC. Written for students, by students! 'Tis well handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rgnmb

Thanks for all the replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

yerayeah wrote: »
    OSCEs (don't ask me what it stands for

Objective Structured Clinical Examination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Oh make sure you understand the physiology very well. Demonstrate this in your answers. Even practice writing answers before the exam that demonstrate your understanding.

Don't regurgitate the textbook. This is not well received. And don't make the answers too long. Or too short. And don't BS.

That said, the course is brilliant. I honestly find it hard to imagine anyone not loving it!:) But I'm a little biased. It's hard graft but it's great.

Best of luck with CAO day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

First Med Timetable up here,

To figure it out subject-wise go here.

Hope this helps.

Thats great! Thanks! ;)

Hardest subject in first year med?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'd say physiology. It's easy to understand and learn, but it's hard to do well in the written questions. MCQs aren't too bad, though and on the plus side, it's fascinating.

Biochemistry seems harder but people seem to do very well in it.

Social science is a thorn in our sides but it doesn't require much effort.

Anatomy and clinical are brilliant!!!

If you have any questions or need any help in first med feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

rgnmb wrote: »
    Hardest subject in first year med?

For definite physiology, I just think there is so much of it to try and get through!

Although I did find anatomy painfully boring...which made studying it hard but the subject itself is alright!

There is more physiology than anything else which is what makes it the most challenging to revise for, it is very interesting though:)

Hey if there is any mature students starting medicine in UCC in Sept gimme a pm! Cheers! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmer08

question for anyone whos done 1st med in UCC, hopin to go skiin the first week in january wit friends,:cool: been scrimpin and savin for twelve months to finance it, but have found out that were back to college the 4th o january, conundrum!:confused::confused::eek::eek:
    Is it advisable/possible/acceptable/practical in any way, shape or form to miss the first week back after christmas of 1st med???:confused::confused:

you only live once...

we'll save the notes for you :pac:

Any other 2009 meds out there?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GingerNut!

Yeah i am! Can't wait...though i'm a bit nervous, it all sounds very hardcore!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

pharmer08 wrote: »
    question for anyone whos done 1st med in UCC, hopin to go skiin the first week in january wit friends,:cool: been scrimpin and savin for twelve months to finance it, but have found out that were back to college the 4th o january, conundrum!:confused::confused::eek::eek:
    Is it advisable/possible/acceptable/practical in any way, shape or form to miss the first week back after christmas of 1st med???:confused::confused:

ah yeah id say so "pharmer08" lol....sure we knew em last year...they didnt have any exams straight after xmas anyway..dont think they were on again til the monday of freshers wk....defo went out alot the first week back anyway!though how would u get out of DR and that?i presume attendance is compulsory like our labs were....cud pull a sicky though i guess....;)it goes without saying id give you the notes after haha...pharmacy 2012 and all that:)

GingerNut! wrote: »
    Yeah i am! Can't wait...though i'm a bit nervous, it all sounds very hardcore!:o

same here gingernut..where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GingerNut!

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    same here gingernut..where are you from?

Limerick! I'm really looking forward to Cork...i love the city! How about yourself?

• Advertisement

GingerNut! wrote: »
    Limerick! I'm really looking forward to Cork...i love the city! How about yourself?

haha again same here...Limerick lol!from what i have heard there are plenty of limerick medheads this year!whereabouts in lim are you from?private mail for that one i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 raver22

question for anyone whos done 1st med in UCC, hopin to go skiin the first week in january wit friends, been scrimpin and savin for twelve months to finance it, but have found out that were back to college the 4th o january, conundrum!
    Is it advisable/possible/acceptable/practical in any way, shape or form to miss the first week back after christmas of 1st med???

Definitely go skiing, you'll only miss like two DR sessions and possibly a clinical tutorial so its no big deal, its only if you were missing alot of the time that the med school would contact you afaik, work wise you not going to miss much, but thats just my 2cents, so go enjoy yourself ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    ah yeah id say so "pharmer08" lol....sure we knew em last year...they didnt have any exams straight after xmas anyway..dont think they were on again til the monday of freshers wk....defo went out alot the first week back anyway!though how would u get out of DR and that?i presume attendance is compulsory like our labs were....cud pull a sicky though i guess....;)it goes without saying id give you the notes after haha...pharmacy 2012 and all that:)

Am i to believe theres some of the 2012 class after changing to med then ??? Just a passing interest of course :pac::pac:
    Yell come crawling back to pharmacy practice in the end!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Question for you med heads: Would you guys have interest in joining a political society? We'll be at some orientation days, but generally we'd stick to the "target audience" of Arts/Comm/Law etc... What do you think take up would be like if we hit the sciencey courses?

Fuascailt wrote: »
    Question for you med heads: Would you guys have interest in joining a political society? We'll be at some orientation days, but generally we'd stick to the "target audience" of Arts/Comm/Law etc... What do you think take up would be like if we hit the sciencey courses?

im not into politics myself but id imagine the class itself could be worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GruesomeTwosome

Does anyone know what date we start and/or got anything from UCC yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Lectures generally begin the 21st September, Orientation and Registration for 1st years normally in the two weeks prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GruesomeTwosome

Thank you kindly:)

One week I think it is. For medicine anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Fuascailt wrote: »

HAHA I'll covert half of pharmacy 1st years to FG!;)

Advertisement