Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshwater Tropical fish advice wanted!

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I am about to set up my very first tropical aquarium (within the week hopefully)
    I have done all my research, learned all about letting the tank go through its cycle, heaters, filters, etc, so in the regard I do feel that I am ready for the responsibility.

So the advice I am mostly looking for is about the fish themselves, to be honest I have no idea what fish to get! I love the saltwater tropical fish but I do not feel ready just yet to care for a saltwater environment, so any advice on nice freshwater fish that could be described as 'flashy' (I love colours!)

I would only start with a 30 litre tank, as I do not want something too out of my comfort zone, so also advice on available to buy fish that do not grow so big, or do not need a lot of other fish for company. (I would get maybe 2 or 3 different types if compatible and are small)

So any advice on nice freshwater tropical fish to get? I do like the Betta, but they might just be too aggressive for me to start off with.

Remember flashy haha!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

if your looking for flashy, and with the tank been only 30 litre,s, you could set up with a good few guppys, they have got lots of colours, or endlers live bearers, and put in a few corys, on the bottom,
    also another very colourfull fish which i have found to be very hardy are peacock gobys, really nice,
    or you can go for a few dif types of tetras, including cardinal tetra,

just remember to start of slow dont over stock the tank, and bring a wee sample of water to your local shop to test, before putting in any fish,

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The bigger the tank the more forgiving of water quality it will be.
    Larger amounts of water have greater buffering capabilities to hold waste products.
    I would recommend getting a 100l tank as a starter tank, a 30l tank will be very prone to getting spikes in concentrations of waste chemicals and be harder to keep as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

ok thanks to both of you! I will take your advice into consideration!

I was actually looking at tanks, and have found a bigger, 70ltr one that I might consider buying instead! I'll see what happens though!

And thanks for the species recommendations! I have basic knowledge on some of them, but of course I will brush up on my knowledge before I buy! Don't want to make any mistakes that could be easily avoided! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

best thing is ti good to a good shop and have a chat with the lads there,

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

I am about to set up my very first tropical aquarium (within the week hopefully)
    I have done all my research, learned all about letting the tank go through its cycle, heaters, filters, etc, so in the regard I do feel that I am ready for the responsibility.

So the advice I am mostly looking for is about the fish themselves, to be honest I have no idea what fish to get! I love the saltwater tropical fish but I do not feel ready just yet to care for a saltwater environment, so any advice on nice freshwater fish that could be described as 'flashy' (I love colours!)

I would only start with a 30 litre tank, as I do not want something too out of my comfort zone, so also advice on available to buy fish that do not grow so big, or do not need a lot of other fish for company. (I would get maybe 2 or 3 different types if compatible and are small)

So any advice on nice freshwater tropical fish to get? I do like the Betta, but they might just be too aggressive for me to start off with.

Remember flashy haha!

Lots of different tetras out there.....some with great colours....plus the added benefit that if your tank isnt very big theyre small

• Advertisement
Advertisement