Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is using the term "Retard" deemed okay?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

I find it really offensive. I would consider it up there with "spastic" and "******". Considering the no personal abuse rule, I don't understand how this one gets through.

So, I guess I'm asking, does Boards.ie think this is an acceptable term to be used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Lol. The stars are meant to say n*gg*r.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If someone calls someone else a retard, they'll be banned for personal abuse.

Have you links to instances of personal abuse that haven't been reported, or have you reported posts that were not dealt with?

I think you can see the posts I reported? The mod of the forum I reported them on, said the term is offensive only "in my opinion". It was not used towards another member, but as a general insult.

Some Boards members will be retarded, in the true sense of the word. It just makes me cringe when I see it used so casually. As I said, other derogatory words are not acceptable, why is this one?

There are plenty of other words to convey the same insult that is intended, without making light of a disability.

I can see every reported post off the entire site. In order to find yours, I've got to search for your username by post within the forum and then read each report because the preview doesn't supply enough information to include the reason for the report. And I've gone back as far as March this year and can't see you reporting a specific post where someone uses the word 'retarded', so can you let me know what you've reported, on what forum please?

This is the initial post, I think I reported four in total from the same forum, all using the same term.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60777415&postcount=2

• Advertisement

I'll give you this - Shellyboo's use of the term is particularly cruel in that context, I'll make no bones about it. But can we legislate for a no-cruelty policy?

The Ranting and Raving forum is different to boards.ie generally in that it's a place for people to be rude and angry about other people, basically. It is undergoing a more strict overhaul but things are still a-changing over there.

My own feeling on this is that we wouldn't 'swear filter' the words retard, retards, retarded or retardation - because they're valid words in the English language. I would expect moderators of most forums to display some empathy when the term is used in an offensive context - but then I have a basic expectation of posters that would extend to not mocking the afflicted in the first place, especially not so casually.

The bottom line is that I doubt we can introduce site-wide legislation that would ban the use of the term, but I do accept that on most forums the moderators could be nudged to remind them to remind their users that such terminology, in such context, is childish at best and offensive at worst.

However in the context of the Ranting and Raving forum, given what that forum is for, you can probably expect there to be such offensive terminology - and worse.

Saying that, I will run it by the R&R forum moderators, as their own charter states "Keep it angry but keep it polite, respectful and fun" - but to clarify, I'm not about to tell them they have to do something about it, I'm just opening a dialogue with them.

Thanks for your help MAJD. :)

Okay, the upshot is this: the Ranting & Raving moderators have added a sort of 'health warning' to the R&R forum. It's been added as a forum announcement as opposed to just a sticky, making it even more obvious, and it basically warns users that given the nature of the forum, there may be offensive language and terminology.

All forums on boards.ie are not equal - and even threads within forums may not all be handled in the exact same way. Suffice to say that I for one admin find the intended offensive use of 'retard', in the context of a noun to describe a person who has mental retardation, as a childish comment unworthy of normally intelligent users. However that doesn't mean I will seek to ban the use of the term across these forums.

The announcement on R&R to me is a step in the right direction and I appreciate the cooperation and suggestion of the R&R moderators in adding that announcement to their forum. Other than that, I would recommend that you continue to report any post you find inappropriate, and each one will be decided on a case by case basis, as with all reported posts.

With regard to users throwing about the term 'retard', it's safe to say that by avoiding some forums, you should successfully manage to avoid the use of such terminology - and worst case scenario, you can always put repeat offenders on 'ignore'.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Just another forum to avoid then.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement