Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the gym, what makes you cringe??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

g'em wrote: »
    Is this the gym I think it is?? If so, WOOO!! And does this mean that as a paid employee you're not eligible to partake in deathmatches anymore? :pac:

It's only reading this thread that I realise just how much my "must haves" for a gym are different to the norm:

1. Two ladies' Eleiko bars (Werksan is tolerable as a second choice)
    2. 200kg+ of bumper plates with a good range of shrapnel (.5 - 2kg cookies)
    3. A solid platform with non-slip wood and a decent wire brush to clean up the chalk
    4. A loo

:o

Oh you know it. Were working on making alot of changes and I am flat out helping Mickk too but its a excellent complaint to have in this climate. As for deathmatch fitness challenges yeh no sweat sucka........ :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

gabgab wrote: »
    Oh you know it. Were working on making alot of changes and I am flat out helping Mickk too but its a excellent complaint to have in this climate. As for deathmatch fitness challenges yeh no sweat sucka........ :P:P
    Delighted to hear it, on all counts :D

At the risk of sounding shill-tastic I can personally vouch for how much fun this gym is. I'll be clear though - it's different; it doesn't have lots of creature comforts like some of your Commercial Gym-come-Nightclub kind of places, but it's HEAPS of fun and full of bang-on sound people. If any of my girlfriends (or guy friends or family for that matter) came to me to ask my opinion on this place I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone. You'll get fit, you'll change your shape, you'll get confident and you'll meet some really, really fab people doing it.

Best of luck with the venture gabgab ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm really shocked by this thread. I've been to two gyms, one was an equal gender mix and the other was prob 80% men with bodybuilders.

I just don't believe this stereotype of BBs staring others out of it actually exists. I am male but I have small arms and used weights far lower than those guys and never felt they were looking down at me.

I think people just see others with great bodies and assume they feel superior, which never seems to be the case in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

At the risk of sounding shill-tastic I can personally vouch for how much fun this gym is. I'll be clear though - it's different; it doesn't have lots of creature comforts like some of your Commercial Gym-come-Nightclub kind of places, but it's HEAPS of fun and full of bang-on sound people. If any of my girlfriends (or guy friends or family for that matter) came to me to ask my opinion on this place I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone. You'll get fit, you'll change your shape, you'll get confident and you'll meet some really, really fab people doing it.

IF its in Dublin can someone PM me where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

IF its in Dublin can someone PM me where it is?
    me too, please!

• Advertisement

I'm really shocked by this thread. I've been to two gyms, one was an equal gender mix and the other was prob 80% men with bodybuilders.

I just don't believe this stereotype of BBs staring others out of it actually exists. I am male but I have small arms and used weights far lower than those guys and never felt they were looking down at me.

I think people just see others with great bodies and assume they feel superior, which never seems to be the case in my experience.

Unfortunately this is a feature of some gyms.
    I don't how how serious about their body building, these people are when they have time to loiter, perve and sneer at other gym users.
    Something tells me they likely have peewee pee pee issues.

Ah you are too kind. Thanks so much for the kudo's, as you know we have some great success stories of what people have achieved and I really really want more girls in the gym.

You smell nicer, are tidier and far far easier for the coaches to train so its a winner on all sides

PM's sent to everyone that asked,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Trinity wrote: »
    The biggest thing for me is the staff.

Its nice to have someone on hand esp if you dont know what you're doing and have to look around for half an hour to find someone to show you how to use a machine

I 2nd this - was in gym last night and needed help with a machine - there's always a few instructors hanging around reception talking so went out to get some help - none of them seemed in a rush to come in and help me out, more interested in looking good:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Victor wrote: »
    Honestly folks, relax about the communal showers, we're all adults, aren't we?Be careful with this as **cough** people **cough** may spend an excessive amount of time doing their hair, thereby alienating other paying customers.

Put the vanity mirrors, etc. in a common area. :D Nobody hogs the dryer / mirror.
    TCD goes with two sizes - normal and tall, if you have sport or work equipment with you.

If you want to use the straightners you are just going to have to wait outside the ladies until they let you in
    tough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Clean, fresh smelling, no cloth towels but rather paper (frequently emptied and not overflowing onto the floor), or hot air. More space in sink area of womens for makeup after shower, adjustable temperature hot air hair dryers, and more stalls in W/C.

Allowing choice...
    • Scheduled times set aside for women's free weights and exercise programmes. Some women like to mix with men, others don't while working out.
    • Both male and female athletic assistants... once again choice.
    • Variety of telly stations to watch while doing repetitive exercise (treadmill, cyclotron, etc.).
    • Ask them! Survey your female members to see if sufficient numbers exist to justify one or more of these exercise programmes: yoga, pilates, aerobics, dance-aerobics, kickboxing-aerobics, Tia Che, self-defense, and kickboxing. While surveying, inquire if mixed or women-only are important choices to include? And if you survey, make sure to give them feedback of the survey results, stating numbers and if they are sufficient to justify programming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Where is this gym? Can't you just say in the thread? G'em won't mind. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is a feature of some gyms.
    I don't how how serious about their body building, these people are when they have time to loiter, perve and sneer at other gym users.
    Something tells me they likely have peewee pee pee issues.

Just ignore them, they're idiots. Usually the very same guys you see with rounded back doing deadlifts, hear giving birth doing the bench press and almost going blind looking at themselves in the mirror. I don't think a split section for women is much use. My old gym had this and there was never any women in it at all. The gym had a pretty high number of female users also, I'd prob say greater than half. Why should a gym owner invest space in a gym for a certain type of member when they won't even use it? Best gym I'd ever been to was in Toronto, loved it there especially when some of the women could outlift the arseholes, was always a great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Interesting thread. I'm moving back to Dublin shortly so could you please also PM me the name of this uber-responsive gym?

Thinks I like to see in a gym (and when choosing a gym!):

Transparent pricing - I hate nothing more than contacting gyms to ask their rates, which they then refuse to give out unless I come in for a 30-minute walk-around. If the price is too high for me to afford, then I am not going to join, no matter how persuasive the walk-through.

The possibility of shorter-term or casual membership.

As almost everyone else has said, cleanliness.

Obviously the range of equipment and classes is a big factor.

Good powerful hairdryers would be a big plus for me; personally I wouldn't use a "public" hair straightner so the GHD not an issue. I would much prefer individual showers to communal ones - even if these were only separated by curtains, which could make cleaning easier for the staff?

Good instructors are important, I think approachable instructors even more so. Some can be somewhat intimidating or patronising when you ask a question - I know it's hard to find a balance between the two but please try! Also, instructors offering advice if I'm obviously doing something wrong is great; instructors sticking their noses in every two seconds for completely random reasons, less so.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but for me, ecology is a big element. I would much rather fresh air and daylight from windows to air conditioning and fleuroscent bulbs in the morning. Have a spray bottle of disinfectant at the machines so that each person can give a quick wipe if they like with their own towel, rather than those disposible wipes. Have proper glasses (ok, maybe breakage issues) or hard plastic beakers for use at the water machine, which can be popped into the dishwasher, or better yet encourage people to bring their own container - I absolutely abhor the waste from those little paper cups. Have showers where the user can adjust the temperature - not everyone needs or wants their showers at 100 degrees! It could be a niche market for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Please pm me too!!!!! As I said before, I am scared to go to the gym. I don't know what all the mad machines are-need someone to hold my hand and show me how to do it ! Am loving the idea of women/girls like me together rather than flabby scared little me in a room full of Ms/Mr Universes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Wow... I always kinda wondered why i paid a bit more than the other rates around but jesus reading this thread i can see where my money goes!
    My gym is kick ass!
    The staff are lovely,helpful,informative and encouraging. Its super clean, they provide two clean fluffy towels and a locker key at the desk when you sign in, there are plenty of water coolers for me to refill my water bottle up at.

Always wipes to wipe down the machines. range of classes are amazing and of course free.
    Great pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and outdoor hot tub!
    Clean showers with hooks for your towels, a little rack for your razor etc, free shower gel shampoo and conditioner. Free parking for three hours and a good percentage off beauty treatments in their spa!
    I <3 my gym!
    my only teensy complaints are sometimes they have stupid sports on the tvs! or the music channels dont sync up with whats coming through the speakers its some other music!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Can you pm me this gym? Sounds too good to be true!!

Why are we pming gym names instead of just putting them in the thread? We regularly mention names of gyms in the fitness forum when good or bad things are said about them. :confused:

You are more than welcome to come up and try us out for free and see how you get on or find it,

Regarding pricing ours could not be simpler. We dont feel the need to put in place year long contracts as we find that people come back to us either way and the onus should be upon us to make sure you are happy. Not to have you locked into a legal contract,

When did contracts become a part of being fit, healthy and having a laugh anyway??

I will happily put the name up of the gym but Irony Maiden expilicity told me that we may not advertise and I have to agree with her. If she or the other moderators allow it then I will gladly put it up,

(must get a new first page pic if this goes ahead, I look like I'm grumpy in it but I'm really just trying to eat something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

oh and i would just like to add that i dont work for any gym!
    after re reading back over my post i know it sounds like i do but believe me i dont! and if ya saw me youd agree! :D

Thank you very much to all the moderators who PM'd me and said they are happy to have me put up the name:

www.crossfit.ie

Please let me know of any suggestions you have or questions,

I have replied to all PM's. I would like to get back immediately but am up to my eyes :D:D Great complaint to have :p

• Advertisement

Please let me know of any suggestions you have or questions,

Move it cloesr to me.

I will do my best to move it closer to you, we have some plans in mind but like the gym we are looking long term and building upon what we have.

Thanks for the kind words,

I will do my best to move it closer to you, we have some plans in mind but like the gym we are looking long term and building upon what we have.

Thanks for the kind words,

I have a big back garden. :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Dear People that use the gym

Please. How hard is it to keep the place clean. I know i'm not the fittest person here, however i am entitled to use the gym and expect it to be clean.

Also, I mis-steped, and fell off the Treadmill, ala a comedy sketch. rather sore!

So guys any thoughts on the website?

Does it come across as somewhere lady friendly, the sort of place that might spark a bit of interest? We dont have loads of money to do ads like curves etc so have to rely on the first impression the site gives.

What could we change that would impress you guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rt. Hon.

I'm not a big fan of the women-only areas myself. We'd give out if there were men only area's so not fair to expect the reverse.

Do you mind my asking why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would not give out if there was a guys only section but as long as the equipment in there was replicated elsewhere for women to use. Too often the weigths and free weigths become the 'mens' section of the the gym and tbh thats not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would not give out if there was a guys only section but as long as the equipment in there was replicated elsewhere for women to use.

Which means the gym is half the size or twice as expensive.,..you cant have it both ways.
    Too often the weigths and free weigths become the 'mens' section of the the gym and tbh thats not on.
    Its there to be claimed back by the women just as much as it was there to by claimed by the men in the first place.

Perhaps have specific equipment for ladies would help? Most men wouldnt use the coloured dumbbells for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Easier said then done tbh.
    yes cos the coloured ones are usually crap and far to light to be worth using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I would not give out if there was a guys only section but as long as the equipment in there was replicated elsewhere for women to use. Too often the weigths and free weigths become the 'mens' section of the the gym and tbh thats not on.

In all fairness it's generally because the majority of the lifting public are guys..... its not some conspiracy like!!

Advertisement