Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the gym, what makes you cringe??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

To be fair Greebo,

I have used this approach with lads before. Get dressed and head down to whatever is the mainstream shopping location. I will use Marks and Spencers for ease of example,

Head straight into the lingerie section:
    Say hello to the person behind the counter,
    Say hello to fellow shoppers, politely
    Then pick up a few bits and pieces in the shop, have a look at them, see if they are the sort of thing you went in looking for,
    Then proceed to walk in between a group of women who are shopping together. Lets say they are getting wedding underwear or something,

If at that stage you are feeling brave ask them to help you pick some things out and for some help.

Gyms and in particular weight rooms can be extremely daunting places. Some of this may be in our heads, some of it may be in fact true. Either way its sometimes not so easy to stroll in and just go about your business,

I wish it was'nt the case but for some gyms it is :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its there to be claimed back by the women just as much as it was there to by claimed by the men in the first place.

Perhaps have specific equipment for ladies would help? Most men wouldnt use the coloured dumbbells for example?

I usually use the womens part in my gym(mostly because it's the closest to the stairs and it's bright, why are there no lights on in the other parts of the weights room?:confused: however, the womens section only has dumbbells though and they only go up to 10kg sets. Walked into the non-women specific section the other day - plonked my stuff down beside a bench, picked up a set of weights and could feel about 10 pairs of eyes boring into me, I looked up, and sure enough all the 'howayas' were staring at me in a very territorial sort of way, I stared back - sat on the bench and got to work. They weren't well impressed :confused:

Men use 'our' section too which doesn't bother me as I'm the only woman I've ever seen using free weights anyway. However, both the benches in the womens section are broken, they are both inclined slightly(not enough to do incline exercises etc and too much to lie down) and there is no way to adjust them as the part is snapped off on both of them, there are about 18/20 other benches in the non-women specific section, each one works perfectly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

g'em wrote: »
    Delighted to hear it, on all counts :D

At the risk of sounding shill-tastic I can personally vouch for how much fun this gym is. I'll be clear though - it's different; it doesn't have lots of creature comforts like some of your Commercial Gym-come-Nightclub kind of places, but it's HEAPS of fun and full of bang-on sound people. If any of my girlfriends (or guy friends or family for that matter) came to me to ask my opinion on this place I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone. You'll get fit, you'll change your shape, you'll get confident and you'll meet some really, really fab people doing it.

Best of luck with the venture gabgab ;)

Ye can someone let me know the name of this place and location!!

ah its ok found it as i read on

Advertisement