Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who's gonna be picking up marvel vs capcom 2?

• 22-06-2009 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So one of the best fighting games ever is being rereleased this wednesday on xbl and psn, who's gonna pick it up?

i definately will but i don't really like how all characters are unlocked from the start instead of unlocking them yourself:(but mostly i can't wait...i'm gonna take you for a ride...:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'll be buying it, though I have no idea why you wouldn't want all the characters unlocked from the start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ashtony

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'll be buying it, though I have no idea why you wouldn't want all the characters unlocked from the start...

Kinda takes the fun out of it, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I will be picking it up. I remember kickin ass on xmen vs street fighter.

The fun out of leaving training mode running overnight to unlock everything, which is what most people I know did? :pac:

Imo having to unlock things adds nothing substantial and can screw you over (as in the SF4 tournaments in town, where we can't use the unlockable characters because they weren't saved every console).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

The fun out of leaving training mode running overnight to unlock everything, which is what most people I know did? :pac:

Imo having to unlock things adds nothing substantial and can screw you over (as in the SF4 tournaments in town, where we can't use the unlockable characters because they weren't saved every console).

I agree,unlocking means usually playing single player which outside of training mode is tedious to say the least,I still haven't unlocked Seth in SF4,one of these days....

I'll probably get it but it's not a game I've ever taken the time to play seriously and probably never will.

I didn't ever realise a date had been confirmed for this release either.Do you have a link to confirm?

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Hate to break it to you but its been delayed till at least late July

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-SF-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m6d21-Marvel-vs-Capcom-2-delayed

Not too interested myself. Too messy looking for my taste.

Oh and Blag fancy a few games on GGPO now that I spot you online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Meh already have it on ps2. Should have sold it while it was worth a fortune...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I love seeing MAHVEL BAYBEE!! vids, but jesus that game has too much going on for my puny brain to comprehend.
    Plus, to be really great at it, they recommend super-stiff sticks like the Happ P360... and I'd rather chop off my hands than buy a Happ stick! :pac:

I don't think that execution difference would matter to anyone on here really - that said I'd never want to batter my buttons like Marvel players do either. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

MvC2 was my game for several years. Dunno if I'll bother with it though, I already own 2 copies.

None that'll let you play online like this though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 beefygrandmole

ign still have it up for release on the 22nd of june but it looks like it won't be released until next month:( still looking forward to it though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ashtony wrote: »
    Kinda takes the fun out of it, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Unlocking characters, taunts and colours in sf4 was soul destroying so they did the right thing here in my opinion.

Can you imagine if you had to play 3S multiple times to unlock Chun's SA2 or Yun's SA3?
    wait, that wouldn't be such a bad thing after all! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

Have never played this so might pick it up to see what all the fuss is about. From what I've seen it does look a bit crazy though.

Davey909 wrote: »
    Have never played this so might pick it up to see what all the fuss is about. From what I've seen it does look a bit crazy though.

The crazyness is the fun. It's all about pressure and reaction time.

None that'll let you play online like this though!

I will wait and see how the online goes. :)

It's using the HD Remix GGPOesque netcode, so it should be as good as has been released for console fighters thusfar. Can't wait!

If HD Remix is so great, how come it always messes up for me when playing charge characters?
    cos I'm on PS3?

No idea, my Guile works fine on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

My Honda is fine HD remix too.

On topic, looking forward to this, the massive pace increase
    from SFIV will be a welcome diversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Always seemed more style over substance to me. Lots of spam...even in high level play. Don't think ill be picking it up.

July 29th for 360, and according to Kotaku (though I know they aren't the most reliable source of information), August 13th for PSN.

Review are starting to come in

Eurogamer - Score :
    9/10
    !

Oh and I love this quote:
    Such phenomenal depth comes at a price, however, and novice players unsure of taking the plunge should certainly be warned that this is a ferociously tough game. Even the single-player campaign, on Easy, is a stiff challenge and anyone thinking of jumping straight into an online confrontation should be prepared to be pulped in less than a minute. The hardcore have been waiting for this re-release, and they're already out there, waiting for fresh blood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've 800 points waiting for mothership zeta but I think I'd rather blow the points on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I purchased it but I wont get a go on it until tonight :(.

Anyways my tag is in the Xbox Tag thread so give me a shout if you want a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Are there any balance changes? at all?

Kirby wrote: »
    Are there any balance changes? at all?
    Glitch fixes, that's it (so Gambit should be playable now).

re: Balance changes:
    The game has 52 characters, each with 3 different assist types. It took pros YEARS to figure out the best teams/strategies/exploits, and when you consider that it took Sirlin's team 1-2yrs to do SF2HDRemix (a game some morons still aren't happy with), can you imagine how long it would take for a game that's about 10x the complexity?

And who would they ask? Justin Wong?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've 800 points waiting for mothership zeta but I think I'd rather blow the points on this.

Do it.

I've happily clicked yes. The beatings online I'll get will be epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think I've been sold. I really liked MvsC 1 and Xmen Cota and this seems right up my street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm gonna pick grab this later.. tho Ive never played and MvsC game. Im fully prepared to get hammered online, so long as I can beat the bro in private matches!

this rules

Agreed. Forgot how much fun this was.
    Mental.

Oh and there's an xbox achievement called 'I Am Doom.' Seems pretty simple - just beat an oppenent within 15 seconds in ranked.

So SDoom, all you have to do is, sell the PS3, buy an xbox, give up job 'till you can beat someone within 15secs.
    It's your destiny.

I heard the backgrounds are 3D in this? Are they 3D in the arcade version? I'd much prefer 2D backdrops.

I heard the backgrounds are 3D in this? Are they 3D in the arcade version? I'd much prefer 2D backdrops.

Originally on dremcast and arcade the backgrounds were in 2d.
    They've rendered all the backgrounds in 3D & HD. They don't interrupt one bit, so much so that I didn't even notice they were in 3d until I was a spectator on a player match.

I'm not joking, when you're playing you won't notice the backgrounds.

Oh and even if you do notice, you have the option to turn them back to 2d rendering as they were in the original.

Now but it and stop making excuses.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Yep.

I don't have a clue what A-Trak's talking about, myself.

• Advertisement

Yreval wrote: »
    Yep.

I don't have a clue what A-Trak's talking about, myself.

What are you agreeing to out of curiosity?

Originally the backgrounds were only in 2D.
    Now they're in 3D, but you can turn them back to the original should you wish.

Better?

A-Trak wrote: »
    Oh and even if you do notice, you have the option to turn them back to 2d rendering as they were in the original.

Sold. Turning on the xbox to buy this now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

A-Trak wrote: »
    What are you agreeing to out of curiosity?
    Are they 3D in the arcade version?

The following video is of the Dreamcast version of the game, which is graphically exactly the same as the arcade version. It's quite obvious that the background is 3D.

Didn't know it was a Naomi game, explains the 3D backgrounds.

Anyway:

It's MAHVEL Baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

i read that they finally have an option to turn off the music,
    so i bought it and low and behold i'm still being taken for a ride.....
    i think it mutes the stage music though, but its the menu music i wanted gone! what a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Didn't know this was out already.

*buys*

I think you actually have to download an update from the capcom website onto a disc and upload it to the xbox to get the custom soundtracks. Pretty silly.

meducation wrote: »
    i read that they finally have an option to turn off the music,
    so i bought it and low and behold i'm still being taken for a ride.....
    i think it mutes the stage music though, but its the menu music i wanted gone! what a shame

you can always just stream mp3s through your xbox over your network/plug an ipod into the USB port to have custom soundtracks as on any game...that said I love the menu music though!

edit: and yeah afaik the backgrounds were always weird 3D, but as stated you absolutely do not notice the backgrounds while playing at all

I've had the ****ing menu music in my head all day, it's driving me insane.

you can always just stream mp3s through your xbox over your network/plug an ipod into the USB port to have custom soundtracks as on any game...that said I love the menu music though

thats true but my mp3 player takes about 25/30 minutes ta even start playing on my xbox!

and i dont have myself any of dem der fancy connect it to your xbox edition windows either :D

All you need to do is download WMP 11 - you don't need XP Media Centre edition or whatever.

DL WMP11, add stuff to your media library, share it, and then your xbox will be able to see those folders on the Video Library/Music Library pages!

http://twitter.com/MarvelvsCapcom - To anyone who's on the fence about picking this up, this twitter page is occasionally releasing free XBLA codes for the game!

All you need to do is download WMP 11 - you don't need XP Media Centre edition

sweet!
    i did not know that, gonna try it now!

http://www.tu4ar.com/ - MVC2 stat-tracking site to see how terrible we all are!

Bloody hell this game makes me feel like a confused old man with thumbs for fingers. Had it on the dreamcast and had recollections of being ok at it.

How wrong I was. I fought a match last night and honestly I may well have left the stick down and made a cup of tea in a different room for all the good it did. Probably would have had a few combos more as well.

Its bloody great fun though, mental mental game. Really shows how slow SFIV is, and turtley too.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I genuinely can't get my head around some of the things you're expected to do, especially the launch moves that let you follow people into the air. 200 move combo? Clearly this game is far and above my non-1337 head :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement