Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much labelling do we need ?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 4:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I sort of missed this debate. There was an elaborate prop outside Dublin's City Hall for a few months but I never looked into and what it meant and the pro's and con's. I think the issue went awol during the referndum on the govt. there last month.

I think the debate was something like : "do you want loads of informative labels or no labels" on your food products.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I sort of missed this debate. There was an elaborate prop outside Dublin's City Hall for a few months but I never looked into and what it meant and the pro's and con's. I think the issue went awol during the referndum on the govt. there last month.

I think the debate was something like : "do you want loads of informative labels or no labels" on your food products.

Wut?

I missed the referendum on the government!? I would have relished the opportunity to vote them out! I also missed the debate on whether I wanted 'loads of informative labels or no labels' on my food products, was this a public vote? Do you have details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The referendum bit was a joke as the local/euro elections were used as a referendum on Fianna Fail's competence.

Anyway, no there wasn't a vote on labels but it was supposed to be an "election issue" I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I didn't hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Libertas (remember them; they used to be a pretend political party?) tried to make an issue of food labelling as being an instance of excessive EU regulation. They had phot-opps in a few places (Brussels is one that I can remember, and there was another somewhere in Poland) and produced a poster contrasting a heavily-labelled dead bird with an unlabelled one.

I don't know if that poster won them votes anywhere. I can't imagine Irish people being persuaded by it. While most of us probably don't read what's on the labels, I think people don't object to them being there. Some might actually like the fact that they are there, because they indicate the existence of a regulatory system designed to protect consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think the move to fewer or none labels would come from a particular Americanism corporate sensibility to remove the useful information needed. Hmm... I wonder for how long with Ganley and Libertas leave their lasting impression on us ? Say what you wish, he got no votes and looked like a bit of a tool once the game was up - well actually he had that "yep, I've been caught out" face - but I think what happened will have a lasting impression whether or not it's talked about.

There'll be some who won't forget it. Irish politics seems to have become much more grey in the last 2 years.

Anyway, I'm all for informative labels and aginist labels with faux-truths that are used for marketing purposes like "no added sugar, virtually fat free" et al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Libertas (remember them; they used to be a pretend political party?) tried to make an issue of food labelling as being an instance of excessive EU regulation. They had phot-opps in a few places (Brussels is one that I can remember, and there was another somewhere in Poland) and produced a poster contrasting a heavily-labelled dead bird with an unlabelled one.

Actually no.the advert was by the EU itself, what libertas did was when Caroline Simons was on Vincent Browne she was pushed heavily from Vincent to name a law (of the 80%) that libertas wanted removed. Course Caroline got stumped and wwas put under quite a bit of pressure and finally opted for *labels* which she pretty much got ripped apart for saying.

She tried to recover by later doing a youtube video using the above adverts stating that she wasnt against the EU's labeling but instead its excessive spending in advertising. which is a sort of pot kettle black situation.

Advertisement