Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss Zavvi....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Firetrap wrote: »
    Really? I'm not surprised to be honest. How any of those places manage to stay open is beyond me.

Yes. It was even closed today. I actually thought Quigleys would be the first to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Quigleys serve something resembling food so they might last that bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

just seen on the kilkenny borough web site that mac donagh junction have been granted permission for fastfood/pizza restraunt to open beside the bowling alley, anyone know what it might be
    That's EXACTLY what we need. Frankly, I really don't think that there is anywhere near enough selection pizza-wise in this town.

With only Mizoni's, The Roma, Extreme Pizza, Domino's, Joe's, Milano, Del Papa, Uncle Sam's, Supermac's, PHQ, The one on Rose Inn Street, The Italian Connection, The one across from the Italian Connection, Key Largo.. Kilkenny is in Desperate need of somewhere else you can get a pizza.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I noticed Gloria Jean's was closed today.

The one in Athlone is still open......and looking for new staff :D

Here's a novel idea. What about somewhere where you can go in and sit down for a cavery meal of a lunchtime? There's nothing up that end of town really unless you like pizza or burger 'n chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Firetrap wrote: »
    Here's a novel idea. What about somewhere where you can go in and sit down for a cavery meal of a lunchtime? There's nothing up that end of town really unless you like pizza or burger 'n chips.

What I have been saying all along. Look at the Kilkenny Cafe/Bewleys in the Market Cross; good, fresh food and reasonable value. And they do offers now and then. The place is always busy any time I go in so that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Any time Ive gone to KK Ive dropped into the shopping centre and its always very quiet. Ill be surprised if more shops dont close in the coming months there. They defo need to get something fast food in there like Whitewater in Newbridge the food court there is much better. Problem is will it get the people.
    Also what is the story with Dunnes in KK? M and S would have been a better option there than another Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Any time Ive gone to KK Ive dropped into the shopping centre and its always very quiet. Ill be surprised if more shops dont close in the coming months there. They defo need to get something fast food in there like Whitewater in Newbridge the food court there is much better. Problem is will it get the people.
    Also what is the story with Dunnes in KK? M and S would have been a better option there than another Dunnes.

well doh!!:D,

the thing about whitewater is u actually have a choice of food - healthy or fast-food. mcdonagh just reckons everyone is on the special k waistline challenge.

For what its worth, i reckon a tesco would be more successful in kk than an m&s, but its not gonna happen in a hurry in that shopping centre anyhows cos i think dunnes own their unit there. if it did happen, its highly likely that a price war would result in town.

Yea Whitewater has BK, Abrakebra among others. The MacDonagh one is just bloody pretentious, typical Kilkenny effort, thinking it's a cut above yet doomed to failure!

The one in Athlone is still open......and looking for new staff :D

I'm amazed it closed [though they still haven't emptied the place yet] It seemed to be doing good business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

What is Weapons? I see they are taking up the ex-Zaavi unit in August.

Never of them in my life but seems a pretty stupid name..i'm hoping it's a C/DVD Store :p

Here's our answer; Arts Week Expo in the former Zavvi store :(...yawn;

http://www.macdonaghjunction.com/KILKENNY_ARTS_WEEK/KILKENNY_ARTS_WEEK.1146.html

I see the Bag store is gone, as is of course Tom Tailor. The Londis has moved to a smaller but better place outlet near the K-Bowl.

With the right mix of shops this place could do very well I think. They badly need somewhere with ordinary food- even McDonalds for gods sake. Not those pretentious coffee holes.

I like Eddie Rocketts but it's just too expensive; I just don't see the logic in spending €14 on chips, burger and a drink for one. Unless they did special offers which they don't seem to bother doing, so I won't bother going in. Can get a far better meal in Ripleys for around the same money. So go figure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mfitzy wrote: »
    I see the Bag store is gone, as is of course Tom Tailor. The Londis has moved to a smaller but better place outlet near the K-Bowl.

With the right mix of shops this place could do very well I think. They badly need somewhere with ordinary food- even McDonalds for gods sake. Not those pretentious coffee holes.

I like Eddie Rocketts but it's just too expensive; I just don't see the logic in spending €14 on chips, burger and a drink for one. Unless they did special offers which they don't seem to bother doing, so I won't bother going in. Can get a far better meal in Ripleys for around the same money. So go figure..
    Wow....definately going there this weekend before i start my diet again...I forgot how good that place is :D

They've been gone for awhile now. They closed up with a sign that said they were closed for stock taking and then a few days later everything in there was taken out.

Londis' move was smart because it will attract more people from the street.

It's all down to location, location, location.

Remember Phase II was supposed to incorporate a hotel...still think that would do well there. On ice obviously now.

Remember Phase II was supposed to incorporate a hotel...still think that would do well there. On ice obviously now.

LOL. I have a feeling there is plenty of vacant apartments up there as well. So opening a hotel will be a disaster for them.

Yeah your head would be melted if you'd bought one of the dear ones wouldnt it? They had a fire-sale not long after when they knocked tens of thousands off some of them.

Ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Has anyone seen the sign in Zaviis' window?

WEAPONS opening August 7th!

Very intresting eh, possibly a proper airsoft store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

greenfly wrote: »

Afraid not, it's an exhibition for the Arts Festival (which I'm all for supporting and all, but a suitable replacement for Zavvi would be welcome in that space).

Anyway, this is what will be on show:

BLAISE SMITH - WEAPONS
    Exhibition in former Zavvi Store 07/08/09 - 16/08/09 from 10:00am to 6:00pm
    Weapons obsess western society. They appear relentlessly on television and in the media. We are martial, whether we like it or not. As a painter, an observer, Kilkenny artist, Blaise Smith believes we have a duty to look closely at something that is central to society. He has done the looking for you. Blaise Smith was granted unprecedented access to the Army's weapons and made 14 paintings of different forms of weapon, including the soldiers themselves.

There will also be a sideshow of other current work.

Highly doubt it, especially as barely anyone down here knows what airsoft is, It's even less probable as the cost of rent is bleeding massive and the demand wouldn be here

Ollchailin wrote: »

BLAISE SMITH - WEAPONS
    Exhibition in former Zavvi Store 07/08/09 - 16/08/09 from 10:00am to 6:00pm
    Weapons obsess western society. They appear relentlessly on television and in the media. We are martial, whether we like it or not. As a painter, an observer, Kilkenny artist, Blaise Smith believes we have a duty to look closely at something that is central to society. He has done the looking for you. Blaise Smith was granted unprecedented access to the Army's weapons and made 14 paintings of different forms of weapon, including the soldiers themselves.

There will also be a sideshow of other current work.

Ah balls, thats the end of that happy thought then...

Thinking about it, why didnt HMV buy over the Zavii in Kilkenny? Didnt they buy over most other stores 19 if i remember correct all others except for Cork cos there is one down the road from the old Zavii or Virgin

Ah balls, thats the end of that happy thought then...

Thinking about it, why didnt HMV buy over the Zavii in Kilkenny? Didnt they buy over most other stores 19 if i remember correct all others except for Cork cos there is one down the road from the old Zavii or Virgin
    pretty sure they only bought 5 or 6, open to correction though

pretty sure they only bought 5 or 6, open to correction though

Wikipedia wrote:
    HMV purchased 19 Zavvi stores to be merged into the HMV chain. Former managing director Simon Douglas and business partner Les Whitfield purchased five of the stores to form Head Entertainment.[5] On 2 March 2009, The Hut Group relaunched the Zavvi website.[6]
    Link

Seems it was 19 in all think you right doh most of those were in the UK so there was probably only 5 bought up here

That exhibition looks interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Yeah your head would be melted if you'd bought one of the dear ones wouldnt it? They had a fire-sale not long after when they knocked tens of thousands off some of them.

Ah well!

They were throwing in free parking spaces a few months back too, I think they used to charge about 20k for one of those!

fabbydabby wrote: »

Ah well!

You would feel like a right fool that's for sure. Where those apartnents rentals or ones you buy by any chance?

• Advertisement

I am not sure I follow... they were all for sale originally if that's what you mean, with car parking extra.

Then in the second half of last year if my memory serves me correctly they slashed the prices to get rid of them, but not before some had been sold at a premium.

Negative equity-alicious!

Advertisement