Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devastation 2009 Final Videos

• 22-06-2009 7:47am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Devestation 2009 has just finished up State side a few hours back.

Here are the vids of the finals.

Street Fighter 4
    John Choi (Ryu) Vs Justin Wong (Rufus/Abel)
    Part 1

Part 2

Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
    Mike Watson (Boxer Set 1, Ryu Set 2) Vs John Choi (Boxer Set 1, Ryu 2 Set 2)
    Part 1 (Set 1)

Part 2 (Set 2)

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
    3v3 Teams Final
    Ken I Vs Empire Arcadia

Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Justin Wong Vs Chunksta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Choi is gonna clean up at Evo if he keeps playing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thanks for linking that stuff. Enjoyed watching it.

tbh the lack of respect some of the american players show is shocking....really bad. I mean, some of the jap and korean players can be a bit too stoic at times but they nearly always show respect.

The kind of, no hand shake, chin thrust, walk away crap is just way out of order. People keep saying Wong is a nice guy in person but he never shows it in a video so here-say doesn't hold much water for me. Get excited, pump up the crowd, jump around. Thats all good and great fun. but shake the guys hand, slap him on the back or something. Wong won't even look at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Remember what he did at the US National finals, getting all in Mike Ross' face?

Yeah... then Daigo swept him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This was a good hd remix fight too

Devastation 2009 HDR Justin Wong vs Mega Man Lower Bracket Finals

Hondas represent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Kirby wrote: »
    Thanks for linking that stuff. Enjoyed watching it.

tbh the lack of respect some of the american players show is shocking....really bad.

Its the same with a lot of american players online too. Treat you as if you've insulted them and their family deeply just for wanting play a game of streetfighter with them.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Remember what he did at the US National finals, getting all in Mike Ross' face?

You got a vid of this? **edit** ah you mean in US finals, here indeed, he's asking for a swift loaf to the face there alright hehehe.

Wong vs Megaman - easily match of the tourney. Perfect use of HDR Honda, amazing patience, gg.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I don't think people should be quick to judge players for their attitudes and sportsmanship to other players. It's quite possible that players have a good reason for showing no respect to some players, because online gaming is breeding a lot of armchair warrior/twats and you see them in every competitive game. Personally I prefer to ignore the arrogance of players rather than parody their self-inflated opinion of themselves. As for Wong and Ross, I've seen Wong do the very same thing to Ross at Final Round this year and Ross just produced a wry smile.

If Wong used the fact that Rufus is a bad match-up against Ryu and he didn't want to stop the hype for Rufus's ultra as an excuse for his loss to Umehara at the Gamestop tournament, why did he use Rufus, again, against Choi's Ryu? It'd be interesting to know how long Choi was playing SFIV because if he had utilized Dragon Punches to the maximum from the start, he'd had a good chance of winning (though, Wong would have probably changed his character earlier than he did later). It looked as though he [Choi] just learned in the middle of the match that Dragon Punches were punishing Rufus more often than not. Good match as opposed to the dire HDRemix final with two Balrogs.

On an related note, an equally boring final:

The only entertaining thing about that video is the wave of 'Tiger's at the start.

tbh I think if Choi had played as much SF4 as Wong has at the current time, then if Choi stopped playing now, Wong wouldn't be able to beat him in 5 years time. :pac:

As I said, if Choi keeps it up on SF4, he's an easy pick to win Evo.

edit: As for Ross vs Wong at the Nationals, I'm sure they've played each other hundreds/thousands of times in the past and respect each other. They shook hands and Wong patted Ross on the back afterwards, no need to speculate there imo.

edit 2: NeoKubrick, dunno how much you're into ST/HDR, but I thought those were great finals, despite being Boxer v Boxer. Some amazing reversal super prediction, as well as solid execution, and tight matches all the way through. No idea how you could call them "dire" at any rate.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its all kiddies stuff compared to the super high skill level at the XGC meet ups! :D

Why do you think Choi, Valle, Watson, Wong and Umehara never show up....they know they would stand no chance. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

bush wrote: »
    This was a good hd remix fight too

Devastation 2009 HDR Justin Wong vs Mega Man Lower Bracket Finals

That was a fantastic match,Megaman has a great Honda,I've been in rooms in HD Remix with him and Mad Possum witnessing some epic Honda mirrors.

Wong really messed up at the end of the second round of the first game,could have taken that if he got the reversal right between the hits of hondas super.

The HD Remix finals were the highlight of the event for me.Especially the Balrog matches,ST creates tension that I don't think SFIV will ever be able to recreate.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    edit: As for Ross vs Wong at the Nationals, I'm sure they've played each other hundreds/thousands of times in the past and respect each other. They shook hands and Wong patted Ross on the back afterwards, no need to speculate there imo.

edit 2: NeoKubrick, dunno how much you're into ST/HDR, but I thought those were great finals, despite being Boxer v Boxer. Some amazing reversal super prediction, as well as solid execution, and tight matches all the way through. No idea how you could call them "dire" at any rate.

If you're referring to me, I didn't speculate about Wong or Ross.

I don't know much about HDR, but from a pure spectator point-of-view, seeing that punch/tactic a bajillion times wasn't entertaining; it was boring to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

It's all about the win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Jesus that first video has 3 lots of commentary!! In-game, in-tournament, and in-video. Head hurts...

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    If you're referring to me, I didn't speculate about Wong or Ross.

I don't know much about HDR, but from a pure spectator point-of-view, seeing that punch/tactic a bajillion times wasn't entertaining; it was boring to watch.

Nah I was just replying to the general "bad form from the Americans" posts.

Fair enough about your view on HDR/ST - I'd advise you to pick it up (or even get into ST), it's still one of the most intense, fun fighters around today imo.

As for Ross vs Wong at the Nationals, I'm sure they've played each other hundreds/thousands of times in the past and respect each other. They shook hands and Wong patted Ross on the back afterwards, no need to speculate there imo.

There is no speculation though....its clear to see from the video. Wong was trying to "show him up" in front of the crowd, and the inevitable millions he knew would be watching on the internet. Its bad form. People can say they are pally when they play low key....but infront of everyone when it matters, he acted like a dick.

Not saying they should be robots...where is the fun in that? I'm partial to the odd showboating myself :D. But don't try to embarrass your opponent. How would he have liked it if Diago had laughed in his face in the final? There is a reason Wong high-tailed it off the stage like a bat out of hell. Hopefully he learned some humility out of that.

Just saying, some of those guys seem like complete asshats to me.

Actually, upon reviewing the US Nationals, Jwong DID actually give Mike a proper manhug.
    So, he's excused for douchebaggery during the match (srsly, even I do that sometimes*).

(*a lot of times, if I'm winning)

Oh yeah, they're definitely asshats Kirby, and personally I'm not into showboating or anything, but really, it comes with the territory of fighting games. At least it's not as bad as MVC2 players. :pac:

Oh yeah, they're definitely asshats Kirby, and personally I'm not into showboating or anything, but really, it comes with the territory of fighting games. At least it's not as bad as MVC2 players. :pac:

Yup. :pac:

Nah I was just replying to the general "bad form from the Americans" posts.

Fair enough about your view on HDR/ST - I'd advise you to pick it up (or even get into ST), it's still one of the most intense, fun fighters around today imo.

Yeah, I definitely want to get into fighting games, but I'll have to wait until the start of Uni.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Isn't Dark Prince a douche, though? That's allowed if the guy is a douche. :P

Interview with the man:

• Advertisement

:D

Got to admit, it IS flippin beautiful when a guy who talks smack like that gets bloody perfected.

Ah so thats the famous rage quit. Pity the camera didnt capture the guy himself running off or whatever he did once he re-set the game. Jesus I never played MvC , gameplay footage just looks so crazy and random lol.

Oh yeah, they're definitely asshats Kirby, and personally I'm not into showboating or anything, but really, it comes with the territory of fighting games.

This seems to be the case alright, with the americans anyway. You just gotta try and post on Srk and you'll see. Although the french 3rd strikers on 2df seem to go out of their way to be assholes to you too.

Well screw that I say, no need to bring aggro to a game we both enjoy, have some fights, and say GG, thats my moto. :D + those few americans that seem to treat the game/scene like its some gangsta rappers territory war...well.. its just really cringy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Anyone see the gootecks vs mike watson fight? When gootecks lost he went to shake watsons hand and watson just shouts in his face, lol.

No? You got a link?

Advertisement