Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting meat eaters???!!!!

Options
  • 22-06-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

did anyone read the metro mail today?
    some guy called Shaun T wrote in this :

Why is it that meat-eaters do not try to convert vegetarians but vegetarians try to make us meat-eaters abstain?

WHAT?!
    if anything i find it the other way round! im constantly being told to eat meat by meat eaters!!! but id never say ALL meat-eaters try convert me!
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The metro mail section is like an unmoderated troll-fest, they really encourage stuff like this, I suspect they make up half the letters themselves to get a rise out of people. Just like this one did. Don't feed the trolls, be it meat or vegetables ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

maameeo wrote: »

Why is it that meat-eaters do not try to convert vegetarians but vegetarians try to make us meat-eaters abstain?

WHAT?!
    if anything i find it the other way round! im constantly being told to eat meat by meat eaters!!! but id never say ALL meat-eaters try convert me!

It's only the metro, you're not meant to take it seriously!

But yes, I agree - I've never tried to convert anyone, but most of the omnivorous population have tried to convert me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Lies lies, It's all lies. I know of one vegetarain who wouldn't let her boyfriend use the same utensils as her if he wanted to eat meat. He ended up going veggie for the remainder of their relationship except when he went out somewhere without her.

Lies lies, It's all lies. I know of one vegetarain who wouldn't let her boyfriend use the same utensils as her if he wanted to eat meat.

Well that sounds fair enough, I don't see why she would let him use the same utensils for meat.
    He ended up going veggie for the remainder of their relationship except when he went out somewhere without her.

Sounds like it was his choice. Surely he could have used different utensils if he wanted to eat meat? Greenmachine, what makes you think this vegetarian was trying to "convert" her boyfriend? It really doesn't sound like it at all. And anyway, if he still ate meat without her, that makes him an omnivore, so even if she was trying to "convert" him, she didn't do a very good job of it!

Lies lies, It's all lies. I know of one vegetarain who wouldn't let her boyfriend use the same utensils as her if he wanted to eat meat. He ended up going veggie for the remainder of their relationship except when he went out somewhere without her.

What is wrong with that. Who wants bits of rotting dead animal carcas on their kitchen utensils.
    Buy your own if you want to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Because eating meat is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

WHAT?!

I dunno, I signed up for something in the freebie thread in bargain alerts forum, and it came with a full vegetarian and vegan magazine with most of the articles being about how to convert your family, and how to trick your partner/children into thinking they were eating meat when they weren't, and the using this to try make them become vegetarian. Was very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

-lala- wrote: »
    It's only the metro, you're not meant to take it seriously!

i know, i shudnt have really, just got so worked up when i read it, im ok now! :)
    lol

banjopaul wrote: »
    I dunno, I signed up for something in the freebie thread in bargain alerts forum, and it came with a full vegetarian and vegan magazine with most of the articles being about how to convert your family, and how to trick your partner/children into thinking they were eating meat when they weren't, and the using this to try make them become vegetarian. Was very strange.

that is strange!
    iv never heard of anything like that before. might have veggies calling at the door next to convert people to our 'religion'! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

that is strange!
    iv never heard of anything like that before. might have veggies calling at the door next to convert people to our 'religion'! lol

Yep, I know its completely not the norm, but it is out there i guess!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

someone called 'Tofu' has replied to Shaun T... the debate is officially open...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anything to avoid washing up, eh?

Paper never refused ink.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've never even heard of the metro.

You lucky thing.

hah, were do u live?!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

That would be great to check out - not just for the obvious "veg*ns take over the world by stealth - a guide" (tee hee) but t'would be handy for the real-life cases of having meat-eaters (in my life, anyhoo) having to suddenly turn (semi) veggie, due to heart attacks or cancer/chemotherapy. Damn handy to have.

Pritti plz?

Kaythxbai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

If people are interested, genuinely I tell them all of the reasons why I like being a vegetarian, and how environmentally positive it is. I just say my bit...but like 5 people I've talked to have become vegetarians.

Not by forcing or 'conversion'. :p

siobhanher wrote: »
    If people are interested, genuinely I tell them all of the reasons why I like being a vegetarian, and how environmentally positive it is. I just say my bit...but like 5 people I've talked to have become vegetarians.

Not by forcing or 'conversion'. :p

LOL, u must be very convincing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What is wrong with that. Who wants bits of rotting dead animal carcas on their kitchen utensils.
    Buy your own if you want to do that.

Dont people wash their dishes after dinner? Its a bit extreme to have a problem with using utensils that have been used to cook meat. How does a vegetarian get over this when they are eating out?

Kind of reminds me of my Mum always getting bottled water for fear of whatever nasties might be in the tap water in a resturant. One day I asked her what she thought they made the ice cudes from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

raptorman wrote: »
    Dont people wash their dishes after dinner? Its a bit extreme to have a problem with using utensils that have been used to cook meat. How does a vegetarian get over this when they are eating out?

Kind of reminds me of my Mum always getting bottled water for fear of whatever nasties might be in the tap water in a resturant. One day I asked her what she thought they made the ice cudes from.

It's quite common, get over it.

raptorman wrote: »

Well I assume Greenmachine was referring to unwashed utensils that were also being used for meat.

i know id be bit freaked out about using utensils or plates etc after they wer used for meat,
    if i saw the meat on the plate, then watched someone scrub the plate, i could not eat off it, even though id know its clean it would freak me out, it would never be clean!
    but yet id eat off plates in my parents and they meat eaters, its just coz i didnt see the meat on the plate directly before i use it.

i have no idea if im making sense here! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

It's quite common, get over it.

I'm not saying I have a major problem with it, just that it seems a bit extreme to me. It's not something I have to "get over" as such.

i know id be bit freaked out about using utensils or plates etc after they wer used for meat,
    if i saw the meat on the plate, then watched someone scrub the plate, i could not eat off it, even though id know its clean it would freak me out, it would never be clean!
    but yet id eat off plates in my parents and they meat eaters, its just coz i didnt see the meat on the plate directly before i use it.

i have no idea if im making sense here! :rolleyes:

Ah, you're making sense to me.

But then again I don't make sense to most people!

Ah, you're making sense to me.

But then again I don't make sense to most people!

me neither! lil bit strange is always good :)

Well I assume Greenmachine was referring to unwashed utensils that were also being used for meat.

That is where you are wrong. It was my bro actually, a good few years back and basically she didn't want meat in the house. In the end she decided if there was different saucepans, frying pans, plate, knifes
    etc and he didn't eat it in front of her it would be okay. Realising the craziness of the situation he just ate what she did.

He lost a massive amount of weight in a short period of time and when ever he gave home his appetite was collosal. Put the weight back on very quickly. Realise that his case is not very typical and was on the extreme end. Just throwing it out there because you do geniunely get people trying to convert people to the way of the veg.

He lost a massive amount of weight in a short period of time and when ever he gave home his appetite was collosal. Put the weight back on very quickly. Realise that his case is not very typical and was on the extreme end. Just throwing it out there because you do geniunely get people trying to convert people to the way of the veg.

I'm sorry but there is no way that just being vegetarian makes you lose lots of weight - he can't have been eating enough, which could happen with an omnivorous diet too. It's easy to be completely full and have a nutritionally balanced diet on vegetarian/vegan food.

I'm sorry but there is no way that just being vegetarian makes you lose lots of weight - he can't have been eating enough, which could happen with an omnivorous diet too. It's easy to be completely full and have a nutritionally balanced diet on vegetarian/vegan food.

I wasn't living with him. Maybe what ever his bird was cooking wasn't too his tastes. Never said you can't have a nutritionally complete diet without meat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rather_not

To be brutally honest, I experience it in both directions: sometimes I try to take influence on meateaters by explaining them my point of view (I am almost vegan out of conscience by way) and on the other side I had half of my family back in Germany trying to convince me to eat meat(and eat eggs and cheese and honey again) again, which had like in most other cases the opposite effect.
    I do try to convince meat eaters, not radically, but I try it, because I think it is right.

Advertisement