Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting meat eaters???!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Anyone try to convert me or preach to me to stop eating meat I would tie them to a chair and feed them a steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

You horrible fellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

If I cook for my friends I'll usually try something fancy and extra nice to show them how good veggie food is :) so maybe little bit of cocerison there ;) My bf eats veggie most of the time, I didn't convert him, he just genuinely loved vegetables, lentils and tofu and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I don't try and convert people, I don't even bring it up in conversation. But, if somebody asks me about it I'll explain my reasons, and if somebody expresses an interest in moving towards a meat free existence I'll offer advice if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I happened to have some of the massaman curry i got in Cornucopia left over from the forum picnic so took it some, let my bro and mam try it...they finished it off even eating the tofu and saying it was lovely:D

This coming from people who only realised a few months ago to stop asking if i want chicken/chops/sausages etc with dinner:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

That's bull and it is the other way around! That person obviously lives in Opposite Land! Meatheads are always trying to convert vegetarians!! ALL THE FRICKING TIME! I have never tried, consciously!, to convert someone. When meaties ask me a question about why I'm vegan I will answer it, sometimes they get all defensive and a) tell me to stop shoving my beliefs on them, b) tell me how they love animals and actually don't eat that much meat or c) go into great detail about how much they love meat, "juicy" and "tender" are words that get mentioned in this conversation.... *sigh*

Omnis can't accept someone who has made a choice to be vegetarian, they can't get it into their meat clogged brain, too many hormones and cholesterol blocking their senses perhaps. Some take it as a personal insult that you don't eat meat. Whereas, I HATE that they do eat meat but I never mention it, I never bring it up but I'm the bad guy...make sense of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Have to hold my hands up and say that when my little teenager turned veggie, i did cook all her favourite meaty dinners. But there was no swaying her. Now most of the veggie stuff i make for her, i also eat and enjoy.But could never give up meat for good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eviecus wrote: »
    That's bull and it is the other way around! That person obviously lives in Opposite Land! Meatheads are always trying to convert vegetarians!! ALL THE FRICKING TIME! I have never tried, consciously!, to convert someone. When meaties ask me a question about why I'm vegan I will answer it, sometimes they get all defensive and a) tell me to stop shoving my beliefs on them, b) tell me how they love animals and actually don't eat that much meat or c) go into great detail about how much they love meat, "juicy" and "tender" are words that get mentioned in this conversation.... *sigh*

Omnis can't accept someone who has made a choice to be vegetarian, they can't get it into their meat clogged brain, too many hormones and cholesterol blocking their senses perhaps. Some take it as a personal insult that you don't eat meat. Whereas, I HATE that they do eat meat but I never mention it, I never bring it up but I'm the bad guy...make sense of that.

Whoa whoa, calm down on meat clogged brain talk, you are new here, hi, yes it can get annoying but let's be civil to each other. Have a read of the charter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Whoa whoa, calm down on meat clogged brain talk, you are new here, hi, yes it can get annoying but let's be civil to each other. Have a read of the charter. :)

Sorry, I didn't read the charter. Will have a look now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eviecus wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't read the charter. Will have a look now.

I suppose the only rule is be nice really, well as nice as we can. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Anyone try to convert me or preach to me to stop eating meat I would tie them to a chair and feed them a steak.

Excellent. I have a few meater* friends. I'll point them your way, tell them the trick and then they'll owe me for a free steak dinner!

* I LOVE that abbreviation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Original.

Guess those billion or so Indians have never tasted proper food then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

gosplan wrote: »
    Original.

Guess those billion or so Indians have never tasted proper food then.

Also original :p s/he didn't actually say anything in that post about meat being proper food, just said he doesn't want people to try and convert him, which is perfectly understandable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

I'm a veggie. I don't try and convert people, to be honest I never mention it unless it naturally comes up. I have had people plafully teasing me when they eat meat shoving it under my nose and to be honest I have no issue with it, I have no problem handling raw meat or cooked. And have had to cook {when minding children}

But what I have encountered alot is people who notice I'm a veggie and preceed to rant about how I rant and bully meateaters. :confused: without me having ever mentioned meat eating. WTF??!

I have also had vegans enquire when I intend to "complete the process". I polietly respond never, they demand why and lecture. It does make me want to slaughter an animal and eatit right infront of them, not the outcome they were hoping for I assume.

I generally live by the mantra "eating meat is an instinct, not eating meat is a choice" I don't think lecturing or attacking their choices will convert them to your views, informing people can be the only positive step and allowing them to make an informed decision which they feel is right for them.

But meh, just my crazzy rambling:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Fugly wrote: »
    But what I have encountered alot is people who notice I'm a veggie and preceed to rant about how I rant and bully meateaters. :confused: without me having ever mentioned meat eating. WTF??!

This.

ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

ok, so it's not just me! :P yay

The amount of times I've been with strangers who started ranting at me, maybe I just look the brainwashing type:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭digiology

Theres no point in trying to convert people but showing them why their justifications are inconsistent is very important.

I avoid meat because its the rational consistent thing to do.

Meat eaters usually have decided to approach the issue in an emotionally detached way which is fine but those arguments are SO easy to win which is a first step.

Advertisement