Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Mills dog food?

• 22-06-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm just trying to switch my dog to adult food. He's just over a year old and he's been on Royal Canin Junior for the past six months. A dog trainer recommended Red Mills.

Firstly, is a year okay to start switching? The Royal Canin said up to a year and Red Mills didn't specify. However, he doesn't seem to like the switch. Do dogs normally take a while to get used to new food or is there a problem when a normally hungry dog doesn't seem interested?

Is it the brand or the fact that it's adult food?

Should I just go back to the Royal Canin (ie try an adult feed from there?) or has anyone experience with red mills?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Ulanzi wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm just trying to switch my dog to adult food. He's just over a year old and he's been on Royal Canin Junior for the past six months. A dog trainer recommended Red Mills.

Firstly, is a year okay to start switching? The Royal Canin said up to a year and Red Mills didn't specify. However, he doesn't seem to like the switch. Do dogs normally take a while to get used to new food or is there a problem when a normally hungry dog doesn't seem interested?

Is it the brand or the fact that it's adult food?

Should I just go back to the Royal Canin (ie try an adult feed from there?) or has anyone experience with red mills?

Thanks
    Whats happening here is basically the same as us eating marks&spencer food regularly and then eating lidl food.
    Obviously the Royal Canin food is far superior to the Red Mills(which is one on the cheapest dog foods on the market AFAIK)
    If it's a money issue then even maybe try get one of the mills variety similar to the one he's been eating, if money isn't an issue then i'd recommend you keep your dog on Royal Canin or even Hill's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you changing over gradually? It sould be done over a week or so, gradually increasing the amount of Redmills then decreasing the Royal Canin.

Red Mills is a good food and i know a lot of people who have their dogs on it and do very well.
    It prob just tastes a bit diff than the other food so he might just take a while to get used to it.

Which Redmills one is it as there are various different qualities, theres the leader and then the supreme. Think theres a really cheap one called Star.

Eyesofvenus, Red Mills isnt that cheap if you go for the Leader or Supreme, its actually a very good food compared to a lot of food. I personally would feed Red Mills over Rpyal Canin anyday as i think RC is way overpriced IMO.

Give the dog time and dont fuss, put the food down, if he doesnt eat after 15mins then take up the bowl and dont offer anything else until next mealtime. Hes prob just being fussy, so dont give in yet, dogs arent like people but they can be very clever and play you too when it comes to food.

But the main thing is to change over gradually so the dogs system gets used to the new food slowly and doesnt upset him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Good post andreac

A lot of people just can't afford the expensive brands, and tbh I myself often wonder if some of them are a bit of a scam. As you say, don't go for the cheapest version.

I changed from massbrook complete to the beefy crunch and trainer, bit dearer but better food.

I give a tiny bit of canned for the juices and I've started adding oil.

I think I'm actually starting to see a difference now in their coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Ulanzi

Thanks guys. I got the Winner Red Mills one. It's only that the trainer recommended it (over Royal Canin btw) that we figured we'd switch when we got to the end of what we'd been feeding him.
    She said that it'd help with shedding and so-on and that it was every bit as good if not better...

That's annoying. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

Ive tried my dog on the cheaper brands as well as red mills, hills and royal canine. I have noticed a remarkable difference in my dogs coat, weight, eyes and energy levels (shes 10) since ive put her on the royal canine. I know its more expensive but i will not go back onto another food after experiencing the dramatic physical results of the royal canine- her cataracts have shrank!

If i could go back in time id have put her on it alot earlier but im delighted ive switched as i see her quality of life has really improved with royal canine.

Plus- you feed them less of it as they are higher calorie content, so it lasts alot longer than normal food therefore by the time you've gone through two bags of normal food you're still 3/4 way through the royal canine- so its not actually that much more expensive.

• Advertisement

LauraLoo wrote: »
    Ive tried my dog on the cheaper brands as well as red mills, hills and royal canine. I have noticed a remarkable difference in my dogs coat, weight, eyes and energy levels (shes 10) since ive put her on the royal canine. I know its more expensive but i will not go back onto another food after experiencing the dramatic physical results of the royal canine- her cataracts have shrank!

If i could go back in time id have put her on it alot earlier but im delighted ive switched as i see her quality of life has really improved with royal canine.

Plus- you feed them less of it as they are higher calorie content, so it lasts alot longer than normal food therefore by the time you've gone through two bags of normal food you're still 3/4 way through the royal canine- so its not actually that much more expensive.
    Our cat is the same. She's 14 and is quickly becoming an indoor cat. She had been putting on a lot of weight and we were feeding her Red Mills cat food.
    We've since put her on Royal Canin Indoor Mature 27 and she looks much healthier and a 2kg bag will last over a month as opposed to the red mills which would only last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I agree with everything andrea said. I use the red mills supreme for my 3 and cant fault it. And its far from being the cheapest- 45-50 for 15kg. To say anything else would be repeating andrea's post but for my two cents- royal canin is way overpriced and no better than the red mills supreme but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Each animal is different and will react differently to foods. Some animals even have reactions or don't like the more expensive brands on the market.
    I switched from Burns to Red Mills (blue bag winner I think it is) it's half the price, now while I think Burns seemed to improve their skin and coat more than red mills, red mills actually improved the digestion of my smaller dog her poops are more solid and she's a sensative tum so was suprised that the red mills was better than the Burns in that respect.

Red mills is 24 euro for a 15 kg bag, Burns was 54 euro for a 15kg bag, feeding roughly the same amount.

I am giving the dogs some oily fish some days and on other days vitapet moult tonic at the moment, I am thinking of trying another brand of food like RC or something so that I can get the combination of the solid poop and the good skin shiney coat lol.

You can't win really sometimes, oh zooplus.co.uk do a lot of different dog foods and seem to be a couple of quid cheaper.

adser53 wrote: »
    I agree with everything andrea said. I use the red mills supreme for my 3 and cant fault it. And its far from being the cheapest- 45-50 for 15kg. To say anything else would be repeating andrea's post but for my two cents- royal canin is way overpriced and no better than the red mills supreme but thats just my opinion.
    You pay 45-50 for leader supreme? where do you buy it? A 15kg bag of leader supreme is €29 in petmania....

Ulanzi, the Redmills Leader or Supreme is better quality than the Winner if you wanted to stick with RedMills.

• Advertisement

You pay 45-50 for leader supreme? where do you buy it? A 15kg bag of leader supreme is €29 in petmania....

Are you sure its the Supreme one though thats €29? sounds very cheap if you ask me, anywhere ive seen it it has been def been at least 35 or more.

andreac wrote: »
    Are you sure its the Supreme one though thats €29? sounds very cheap if you ask me, anywhere ive seen it it has been def been at least 35 or more.
    Its the Leader Supreme one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Ulanzi

I thought I was getting the best one - oh dear. I think I'll just go back to what suited him and work from there. That's dead annoying.

Thanks for all your input. It's been a massive help.

No, winner wouldnt be the best in Redmills, the Supreme is, with Leader being next best to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

my lab was on royal canine for years but she stared moulting ALOT !! and her coat felt awfull and the vet said its because the royal canin is very high in protein?? and she wasnt buring it off !! so we had to give her cat food for a while and fish and rice to get her back to normal !! but now she is on the red mill adult and so far so good !! i was under the impression it is only cheaper becuase its made in ireland but it is of the same standard as royal canin !! i would recomend it any day !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 marles

My retriever is on redmills supreme for active dogs.
    He is in great condition and his coat is fanastic.
    I have my cat on redmills cat-adult and he is thriving,he is a long haired cat and his fur is so soft.
    Every Sunday I split a tin of sardines between them the dog gets 2/3 and the cat the rest.
    I have never had any issue with redmills.

One point to the OP,most vets recommend that you stay on the puppy version of whatever food you are feeding the dog until they are 18 months,it does depend on the breed but most dogs don't really stop growing until past 18 months as as such they need the extra nutrients in puppy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I get it in Petmania. It's defo around 45 quid for the leader supreme. I think it's €29 for the standard adult.

Here's a link to some random dog food sale site

http://www.pet-points.com/index.php?cPath=25_246_429

This site shows the price of leader supreme at £34 sterling = €40 euro + €5 or €10 quid cos the government are shafting us and.......we have €45 / €50 per bag :D

adser53 wrote: »
    I get it in Petmania. It's defo around 45 quid for the leader supreme. I think it's €29 for the standard adult.

Here's a link to some random dog food sale site

http://www.pet-points.com/index.php?cPath=25_246_429

This site shows the price of leader supreme at £34 sterling = €40 euro + €5 or €10 quid cos the government are shafting us and.......we have €45 / €50 per bag :D
    Apologies, must have been on promotion or something at the time i saw for €29, was in petmania the other day and it's either €38 or €42.

Just on a side note. To the poster who said his dog was moulting because of the RC, are you sure you were feeding him the correct one?

I noticed that on some of their food Protein is around 25% and fibre at 7% and then others had significantly lower/higher ratios(Leader Supreme is 22% protein 2.5% fibre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peterleonne

You would be better off to go buy wellness, blue buffalo, solid gold, or castor and pollux. All of those can be found at petstores. Wellness, solid gold, and blue have grain free options.

If you go to a feed store, you could get something like innova or Evo and mix it in.

The reason I am offering other suggestions is because the food you have chosen has corn in it. It has a few other ingredients that I wouldnt agree with.
    for info you can through this site:-http://www.wagsocial.com/

You would be better off to go buy wellness, blue buffalo, solid gold, or castor and pollux. All of those can be found at petstores. Wellness, solid gold, and blue have grain free options.

If you go to a feed store, you could get something like innova or Evo and mix it in.

The reason I am offering other suggestions is because the food you have chosen has corn in it. It has a few other ingredients that I wouldnt agree with.
    for info you can through this site:-http://www.wagsocial.com/

Is this in Ireland?? As ive never heard of any of those brnads of food at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

To be honest there's a load of various dog foods, it's starting to get confusing.
    Also it can be very hard to get certain ones or there's a delay in an order etc.
    I've had to put my little dog back on Burns again (they've a potatoe and pork flavour now) but she has always had a sensative tum keeping the collie on Red Mills for now until I figure out what's the best food to feed all the dogs and agrees with all the dogs, is easy to order and doesn't cost more than our own food bills.

In a short while when we get the 3rd pooch one will be on red mills, one on burns and the newby on royal canin lol. Bad enough I've to sometimes cook 3different meals for my fussy human family then 3 diff. feeds for the dogs and a bird and pig to feed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gilm1

Which is most sold off in Ireland !!
    That's your answer

Customers decide
    As for tread being old you read it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

gilm1 do not resurrect 5 year old threads. Your previous post was deleted for that reason.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement