Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unemployed to get college places.

Options
  • 22-06-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0622/education.html

The Minister for Education has announced 2,500 new places on part-time college courses for unemployed workers.
    Batt O'Keeffe says the initiative is aimed at giving people skills appropriate for jobs in the sectors of the economy considered key to tackling the recession and driving economic growth.
    These new places on undergraduate and postgraduate courses will come on stream in September.
    Advertisement

The Minister says they will be on courses that support the goals of the Government's 'smart economy' plan.
    They will include sectors such as medical devices, biopharmaceuticals, international financial services and the food sector.
    Mr O'Keeffe says part-time courses are more suited to the circumstances of people who are unemployed and want to be able to re-enter the labour force as soon as possible.
    The Minister says fees will not be charged for the courses, although post-graduate students may be required to pay what he describes as a nominal charge.

seems like a good idea anyhow
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

2,500 for 400,000 isn't much.... but I guess it's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Xiney wrote: »
    2,500 for 400,000 isn't much.... but I guess it's something.

no it isn't but it's a step in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 12 blackpaddy

patrickc wrote: »
    no it isn't but it's a step in the right direction

many have taken the step already anyway,atleast it a positive plan,i have got aa fulltime place in college myself,my job is barely existing,my surviving of d JA,so am going to better myself,and i hope many people in my position ll do same to get ourself out of this gloomy situation.God bless all.

Advertisement