Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league 1st and 2nd round draw today

• 22-06-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

On at 11am. Is this live anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Bohs given a tough time would love to see an irish team make a little run for themselves especially with the state of Setanta at the moment The Loi needs some good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

We've got 'Red Bull' Salzburg. Not easy, but not impossible either.

Thank god we stole Trap from them haha it was a pre-emptive strike on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SectionF wrote: »
    We've got 'Red Bull' Salzburg. Not easy, but not impossible either.

Who's we?

Do you know who Arsenal got?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bohs to go out, no chance of beating Salzburg
    Pats got a decent draw (Trip to Malta or Iceland), but probably will still go out (hope not)
    Sligo might get through their first round vs the Albanians, but no chance against Rapid Vienna
    Derry the best hope vs FC Skonto Riga

Linfield and Crusaders got decent draws too, fairly winnable if they approach the games with any kind of serious intent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rhyl FC got a quality draw, Partizan Belgrade although they'll lose will be a great trip I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Pats will probably end up playing Valletta out of the two, they have a few Maltese internationals in their squad but the most interesting players for me have to be Luke Dimech, once of Shamrock Rovers and Jordi Cruyff, he of Man Utd, Barcelona and being Johan's son fame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Seems an unusually low amount of interest in the draw(considering the low amount of comments I see here and on Foot.ie).

But the transfer threads for the top English teams in this forum are buzzing, I suppose it's the way football has gone. If it's not Man Uted, Liverpool, Chelsea or Real Madrid then it doesn't matter.

Overall it's an okay draw for the Irish sides, far from the best they could of gotten but far from the worse too.
    Sligo should be able to get through to see all 4 LOI sides in the 2nd round, but I can only see 2 of the 4 progressing after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Big Ears wrote: »
    Seems an unusually low amount of interest in the draw(considering the low amount of comments I see here and on Foot.ie).

That's because they've more important matters over there; was the attendence at the UCD match on Friday 251 or 252!?:rolleyes:

:D

That's because they've more important matters over there; was the attendence at the UCD match on Friday 251 or 252!?:rolleyes:

:D

It was 257, there with a few people in the toilets while everyone else was counting.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Bohs to go out, no chance of beating Salzburg

Disagree. We are definitely underdogs by some distance, but that's no harm. We have a better team than Pats and Drogs in their recent European exploits , and we are solid (most of the time) in defence, with Shelley and Powell in form and McGuinness back from suspension, all in front of a keeper who the dogs in the street know should be in the Ireland squad.

If we can keep the tie alive in Austria and get them back to Dalymount, we could nick it.

Disagree. We are definitely underdogs by some distance, but that's no harm. We have a better team than Pats and Drogs in their recent European exploits , and we are solid (most of the time) in defence, with Shelley and Powell in form and McGuinness back from suspension, all in front of a keeper who the dogs in the street know should be in the Ireland squad.

If we can keep the tie alive in Austria and get them back to Dalymount, we could nick it.

From watching Salzburg i reckon keeping the tie alive could be a tricky ask but if they do i agree have a chance of nicking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hello Big Ears, where the hell have you been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

You don't have a better team than drogs, or shels when they were in CL. You're right about having the best keeper in the league though..................but Drogs had the second best.

At least its an easy place to get to. Are u heading over? Club running a trip maybe?

Des wrote: »
    Hello Big Ears, where the hell have you been?

Middlesbrough..........or in internet terms mainly on the boxing forum.

I still watch loads of soccer but the modern game just frustrates me to the point I can't be arsed talking about it much.
    I pretty much restrict myself to discussing Junior football on Foot.ie now, a sad state of affairs indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Arse of a draw in terms of getting there 500 for either iceland or malta.

On paper we should beat either of those teams but our manager likes to take that paper scrunch it up and pee on it. Not optimistic we will get tru.

Sligos small squad could get them thumped. Derry have a tough one too. Bohs have the best chance i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

fh041205 wrote: »
    You don't have a better team than drogs, or shels when they were in CL. You're right about having the best keeper in the league though..................but Drogs had the second best.

At least its an easy place to get to. Are u heading over? Club running a trip maybe?

He had it right to be honest, better than the Drogs and Pats teams, not better than that Shels team, that Shels team will not be overtaken for at least 10 years by the looks of things.

DSB wrote: »
    He had it right to be honest, better than the Drogs and Pats teams, not better than that Shels team, that Shels team will not be overtaken for at least 10 years by the looks of things.

Don't agree about Drogs. As a drogs fan i obviously knew the team quite well, and they were set up far better than bohs particularly at the back. I've only seen bohs live twice this year against Drogs (apart from MNS) and they were muck on both occasions. Bohs are too adventurous for Europe I think. They'll get caught on the counter attack a lot. The one thing Bohs have better than Drogs is Conor Powell, much better than our left back. You can forget about Pats, they haven't been in CL for an age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Don't agree about Drogs. As a drogs fan i obviously knew the team quite well

And would also obviously be quite biased towards them, I hate both clubs equally, the Bohs team is oceans better. From the back to the front. Bohs also actually look like being able to defend their title, as opposed to being a one season wonder like Drogs.

Don't agree about Drogs. As a drogs fan i obviously knew the team quite well, and they were set up far better than bohs particularly at the back. I've only seen bohs live twice this year against Drogs (apart from MNS) and they were muck on both occasions. Bohs are too adventurous for Europe I think. They'll get caught on the counter attack a lot. The one thing Bohs have better than Drogs is Conor Powell, much better than our left back. You can forget about Pats, they haven't been in CL for an age.

Is this the Drogs team that was 5th in the league at the time it actually competed in the Champions League ?, the one well behind a certain Bohemians side ?

Don't think I'll get to it, as I wouldn't be let travel without young 'uns and that would be prohibitive. But I might sneak one!

Surprised at the comment here that Bohs are too adventurous. We have a distinctly cautious midfield, though Deegan has brought some serious forward-looking edge there, and a defence that certainly goes well beyond Conor Powell! Heary needs no introduction; McGuinness has been near faultless apart from his stupidity in Sligo, Shelley has been superb of late -- one of the best players in the team; and Powell has settled.
    If anything, our main worry is our inability to turn clear chances into goals.
    Firing on all cylinders, this Bohs team is superb, but there has been a tendency to switch off. I don't think that will apply in the CL.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Is this the Drogs team that was 5th in the league at the time it actually competed in the Champions League ?, the one well behind a certain Bohemians side ?

If you want to argue that Bohs would have done better against Kiev then make that arguement. I honestly don't think they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bohemians could not have got a tougher tie than Salzburg. Out of all the teams in the second round, they are probably the strongest in nearly all respects (professional outfit, decent finances, lots of internationals).

If they manage to get a draw in one tie, they'll have done excellently.

Advertisement