Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Walkman suggestion

• 22-06-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should go here or in the radio section, but here goes...

I currently have a Sony FM Walkman - http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRFM97-SRF-M97-Radio-Walkman/dp/B0007RA6NW

And it's doing my nut in. The reception on it is ****e. No matter where I am in the country, it doesn't seem to improve any.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good, radio only, walkman type device?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mick_irl wrote: »
    And it's doing my nut in. The reception on it is ****e. No matter where I am in the country

Walkmans (walkmen ?) as a rule tend to have poor reception

Sometimes switching to mono can improve reception slightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Unfortunately there's no option to switch between mono and stereo.

I have changed the headphones which seems to have improved the reception slightly, but it's still far from perfect :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Try looking for Pure or Roberts. Little more expensive but they have a good reputation and have some features like DAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An obsolete DAB. Also those are NOT portable.

IF DAB happens here at all beyond the test sites then it may upgrade to DAB+

If you want portable a Nokia phone with built in FM radio may work best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Have you tried a mobile phone or a MP3 player with radio receiver?

That is one expesive Radio Walkman!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I got a small pocket 2" QVGA screen media player / Radio from Hong Kong and the radio is very good, About 20 EUro.

Sadly brand name radio only portables these days are about €4 worth of junk electronics. You really only get decent pocket sized FM radio built into a phone or PMP.

Moved to PMPs as they can be inexpensive (if you avoid the Apple tax).

I have an iPod with the radio attachment, but I don't like lugging it around on the bus or to matches just for the radio.

I just want something simple, just FM reception. Lightweight, with good reception and that I won't be cheesed off if i lose it, so cheap!

I paid a bit extra for the Sony Walkman, thinking more money MUST mean its good. How wrong i was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mick_irl wrote: »
    I have an iPod with the radio attachment, but I don't like lugging it around on the bus or to matches just for the radio.

I just want something simple, just FM reception. Lightweight, with good reception and that I won't be cheesed off if i lose it, so cheap!

I paid a bit extra for the Sony Walkman, thinking more money MUST mean its good. How wrong i was!

Have IPOD started to provided Radios internally, a new IPOD or a Creative Zen of somekind or a phone. Get a new phone is the cheapest option.

Nah, you have to stick an extra bit onto the headphones to get the radio working:

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MA070G/D

• Advertisement
Advertisement