Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking bike in NUIG

Options
  • 22-06-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I've just joined the new gym in NUIG and I'm just wondering is it safe to lock a bike outside??? I've got a top of the range lock (if i'm to believe all the reviews on the internet , even the top NYC bike thiefs couldn't get past this thing) but it's a nice bike and I'm still worried.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

A friend of mine had both her old bike and subsequent new bike stolen at NUIG...but she left it there overnight on both occasions! :rolleyes:

Leave it locked somewhere visible and should be grand, still lots of people around for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi

Thanks P.

I was going to lock it right infront of the Gym, that looks public enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

heh, I sold you that lock and told you I got thru one before :) Right infront of the gym will be perfect. Sure there are normally guys there climbing the wall and they have a view right out to the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Ha, your the guy from the shop on Sat, cool.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

Park the bike outside of the gym(there should be bike spaces there) it will be completly safe there.

NUIG is safe for leaving your bike there during the day, but night time more then likely it will get stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Stealing bikes from the college is a cottage industry - I work there and I have seen scobes with bolt croppers wandering around (I report them to Security whenever I see them). Outside the gym is safe because its got CCTV and plenty of passers-by, and it sounds like you have a decent lock. Make sure your wheels and saddle are secure too - quick release items tend to get whipped.

Never leave a bike locked outside overnight, and never, ever in the city centre unless you don't want it anymore.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Have had my saddle and saddle post stolen outside the GYM about 3 months ago, was stolen in the middle of the day. Always bring it with me and put in the lockers now. Bike was only left unattended for about 2 hours. Was a sunny Sunday afternoon. Security had nothin on the camera's.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Have had my saddle and saddle post stolen outside the GYM about 3 months ago, was stolen in the middle of the day. Always bring it with me and put in the lockers now. Bike was only left unattended for about 2 hours. Was a sunny Sunday afternoon. Security had nothin on the camera's.

Was it quick release?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ya it was quick release saddle. on the plus side: have been locking the same bike in Galway city and NUIG the odd time for 3 years without incident. re the CCTV outside the GYM - the first 4 stands are not captured by the security camera view. Had it locked to one of them

Advertisement