Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it risky for the "yes" side putting celebrities out there?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

I would suggest that the political parties PR machines are advising them that any celebrity endorsement for a yes vote can only be a good thing, but I am not so sure after seeing the very public rolling out of Robbie Keane and The Edge yesterday.

Essentially this is another group of multi millionaires telling the electorate what to do. I am just thinking back to the tara protests and the general ill feeling towards the celebrities who affiliated themselves with it despite never really having to deal with any of the issues at stake. Money insulates. A few years ago the public were generally admiring of those who had by hook or by crook (probably an unfortunate phrase!) made themselves independently wealthy and aspired to be like them. Now we all know how that played out, and I would argue that the public are currently mistrustful of those who pretty much live on another planet to them.

Could this be a miscalculation by the yes side???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

population wrote: »
    Essentially this is another group of multi millionaires telling the electorate what to do.

The electorate love being told what do do by celebrities. For many people their vote will not be shaped by any tangible reasons, so you may as well give them some "stupid" reasons.

Think of all the young adults who love soccer - then to hear Robbie Keane wants you to vote Yes. That will be a big factor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In the current political climate, a high profile, non-political supporter for either side, as long as they are carefully chosen, can only be good. Providing Keane is not asked any "hard" questions, he'll help deliver the "football" vote. Of more importance is Pat Cox, who knows how Europe works and communicates it well. As an ex-politician he is likely to campaign up until polling day.

The only real risk is the type of gaffes they make and whether anyone of "credibility" on the opposite side can exploit them. That said there are far less don't knows and in theory far less voters to be persuaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I would suggest that the political parties PR machines are advising them that any celebrity endorsement for a yes vote can only be a good thing, but I am not so sure after seeing the very public rolling out of Robbie Keane and The Edge yesterday.

Essentially this is another group of multi millionaires telling the electorate what to do. I am just thinking back to the tara protests and the general ill feeling towards the celebrities who affiliated themselves with it despite never really having to deal with any of the issues at stake. Money insulates. A few years ago the public were generally admiring of those who had by hook or by crook (probably an unfortunate phrase!) made themselves independently wealthy and aspired to be like them. Now we all know how that played out, and I would argue that the public are currently mistrustful of those who pretty much live on another planet to them.

Could this be a miscalculation by the yes side???

Hm. Was it a miscalculation by the No side last time? I seem to remember something about multi-millionaires telling the electorate what to do...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

It's a non political organisation called "Ireland for Europe" who are putting forward celebrities in their campaign. The government have not started theirs yet as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

20goto10 wrote: »
    It's a non political organisation called "Ireland for Europe" who are putting forward celebrities in their campaign. The government have not started theirs yet as far as I am aware.

Well they are advocating a yes vote in a highly politicised treaty so therefore to say they are non political is a bit of a contradiction in terms

• Advertisement

Not really. How is the treaty "highly politicised"?

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Hm. Was it a miscalculation by the No side last time? I seem to remember something about multi-millionaires telling the electorate what to do...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Good point, I am not saying it is or it isnt, I am just wondering if the copper fastened guarenteed celebrity vote winning formula is as set in stone as they may think particularly with current circumstances in mind.

turgon wrote: »
    Not really. How is the treaty "highly politicised"?

Well there are two sides going head to head on this believing their way to be the right political direction for Europe to go in.

I am saying if the message from Robbie etc was "get out and vote" as opposed to "get out and vote yes" which takes a side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Good point, I am not saying it is or it isnt, I am just wondering if the copper fastened guarenteed celebrity vote winning formula is as set in stone as they may think particularly with current circumstances in mind.
    The problem is they have picked the wrong celebrities. What they need is a well respected business man who knows what he is talking about and can explain why a No vote is damaging to Irish business. But Robbie Keane?? Come on, he's a complete muppet and besides that he doesn't even live in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bad move by the 'Yes' side. Looks like exactly what it is...rolling out some celebs to tell the gobshite electorate what to do.

"Sure, if you don't believe your politicians, here's Robbie Keane"

"Oh well, if Robbie says it's ok, then where do I sign?"

Anybody with an ounce of sense will see through this, no matter which side of the fence they're on.

Other than a slight damage to the 'Yes' campaign's credibility (given that the Irish public's distain for celebs is only slightly lower than it is for politicians), it's rather meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

20goto10 wrote: »
    The problem is they have picked the wrong celebrities. What they need is a well respected business man who knows what he is talking about and can explain why a No vote is damaging to Irish business. But Robbie Keane?? Come on, he's a complete muppet and besides that he doesn't even live in Ireland.

They have also got Pat Cox, Jim O'Hara (general Manager of Intel Ireland), Harry Crosbie, David Byrne (former EU Commissioner and now Chancellor of DCU), Alan Gillis, Garrett Fitzgerald, Peter Sutherland, Brighid Laffan, Mary Davis, Paul McGuinness.

The media chose to focus attention on Robbie Keane and The Edge. Rugby player Denis Hickey must feel neglected.

Robbie Keane is no more a muppet than many of those who post here as if they were authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

Its a great move. Any positive publicity is a good thing. We need to vote yes - the no campaign was won last time due to a badly run yes campaign.

Well there are two sides going head to head on this believing their way to be the right political direction for Europe to go in.

Well be that definition every discussion from the best flavour of tea etc is highly political.

I think one of the problems with the debate is it seen as being solely political. No one can really see it outside of the party/interest group politics. The quality of debate suffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It stinks of desperation and is an insult to the electorate.

Rb wrote: »
    It is an insult to the electorate.

As is trying to cajole them into voting for issues that will not be in any way whatsoever effected by the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

A little desperation would have done the Yes campaigns some good last time...as for the electorate, I'm sure they're capable of making up their own minds.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Are you describing the Libertas and Cóir campaigns in Lisbon 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What are the chances of Robbie signing some anti-Lisbon promotional material.......

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

I think it highlights the importance. Something that the yes campaign missed on the last outing.

And it is a much better waste of our money v's the mug shot on poster approach (which no doubt will make an appearance in some form...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Instead of celebrities, the yes side should make an effort to get some of the high-profile economists on their side. If someone like David McWilliams or Moore McDowell came out firmly behind the treaty and gave the economy as the reason for their support then that would do far greater damage to the no side than anything else.

The most effective thing the Ireland for Europe people could do would be to write a short four or five line statement laying out clearly why it's so important for Ireland's economy that we vote yes in the second referendum. All they would need to do is get a half-dozen of the leading economists in the country (excluding George Lee) to sign the statement and then publish it as a full page advertisement in the main newspapers. If they did that the yes side could just sit back and donate the rest of their campaign budget to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

turgon wrote: »
    As is trying to cajole them into voting for issues that will not be in any way whatsoever effected by the outcome.
    Both sides are guilty of this in the run up to (now) but referenda, however I think trotting out Robbie Keane & Co is a little bit thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

They have also got Pat Cox, Jim O'Hara (general Manager of Intel Ireland), Harry Crosbie, David Byrne (former EU Commissioner and now Chancellor of DCU), Alan Gillis, Garrett Fitzgerald, PETER SUTHERLAND, Brighid Laffan, Mary Davis, Paul McGuinness.

The media chose to focus attention on Robbie Keane and The Edge. Rugby player Denis Hickey must feel neglected.

Robbie Keane is no more a muppet than many of those who post here as if they were authorities.

so i take it that Robbie Keane has read the Lisbon Treaty in depth and based on reading it , he is in favour of it?

Yeah right. And they accused the No campaign of telling lies.

Well, thats a good start for the Yes campaign - tell more lies.

O'Morris wrote: »
    Instead of celebrities, the yes side should make an effort to get some of the high-profile economists on their side. If someone like David McWilliams or Moore McDowell came out firmly behind the treaty and gave the economy as the reason for their support then that would do far greater damage to the no side than anything else.

The most effective thing the Ireland for Europe people could do would be to write a short four or five line statement laying out clearly why it's so important for Ireland's economy that we vote yes in the second referendum. All they would need to do is get a half-dozen of the leading economists in the country (excluding George Lee) to sign the statement and then publish it as a full page advertisement in the main newspapers. If they did that the yes side could just sit back and donate the rest of their campaign budget to charity.

Would be interesting to hear what David MacWilliams has to say.

But based on what he has written previously, i would guess he would say No.

He is against the Euro for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

and we all know if your against the euro you are aginst the lisbon treaty? anti eu and a damn nationalist.........

ireland for europes vids on youtube are a disgrace and their lack of accepting comments farcicle

tá mé ag vótáil yes mar is maith liom an europe.... (paraphrase but that is essentialy the qoute) and crap like this which is bad irish and nothing to do with lisbon

netron wrote: »
    so i take it that Robbie Keane has read the Lisbon Treaty in depth and based on reading it , he is in favour of it?

Yeah right. And they accused the No campaign of telling lies.

Well, thats a good start for the Yes campaign - tell more lies.

Why this nastiness directed against Robbie Keane? Most people who campaigned or made public comment on the treaty have not read it, and some of those who claim to have read it seem not to understand what they claim to have read.

Your contention that somebody is telling lies is preposterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

question mark and ''so i take it'' - yes that statement was purported to be fact....

Why this nastiness directed against Robbie Keane? Most people who campaigned or made public comment on the treaty have not read it, and some of those who claim to have read it seem not to understand what they claim to have read.

matt cooper had an interesting interview with robbie keane on his show this afternoon.

however, Mr Keane seemed to be talking about football tactics all the time, so maybe Mr Cooper was pulling a fast one on us.

ok. lets roll back a bit.

we have Robbie Keane endorsing a Yes vote - and yet he has not read or understood the Lisbon Treaty?

If that is the case, then thats a pretty good reason to vote No.

"Look over here at the shiny celeb - isnt he great - vote Yes - just forget about WHAT yer voting on , but vote Yes!"

ireland for europes vids on youtube are a disgrace and their lack of accepting comments farcicle

that speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

netron wrote: »
    we have Robbie Keane endorsing a Yes vote - and yet he has not read or understood the Lisbon Treaty?

If that is the case, then thats a pretty good reason to vote No.

Given that there are many people who have not read the treaty, and who very obviously do not understand it, urging us to vote no, it seems you should have a dilemma.

Advertisement