Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Face book - scam ?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

okay, I know this is not right place for this one. But what do you think of this. got a facebook email notification, as follows.

xxxxxxxx,Your Help Is Needed,

I am Barrister Bukky Onyeowa, a solicitor at law, personal attorney to your late uncle Mr.x.xxxx, A national Of your country,who used to work as a contractor in Lome Togo. Here in after shall be referred to as my client. On the 30th of April 2003, my client, were involved in a car accident along Kpalime express Road.

All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost there lives. Since then I have made several enquiries here to locate any of my clients extended relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful attempts,I decided to search through with his name which motivated me to contact you, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you. I have contacted you to assist in repartrating the fund valued at US$10.5 million left behind by my client before it gets confisicated or declared unserviceable by the Security Finance Firm(bank) where this huge amount were deposited.

The said bank has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have his account confisicated within the next twenty one official working days Since I have been unsuccesfull in locating the relatives for over 2 years now, I seek the consent to present you as the next of kin to the deceased since you have the same last names, so that the proceeds of this account can be paid to you.

Therefore, on receipt of your positive response, we shall then discuss the sharing ratio and modalities for transfer.. I have all necessary information and legal documents needed to back you up for claim.

All I require from you is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction goes through and for more details.

KINDLY GIVE ME A SHORT CALL AFTER GOING THROUGH THIS MAIL. TELEPHONE NUMBER. 00228-0429660.

Full Name..........................
    Marrital status....................
    Age....................................
    Phone number.. ................
    Fax number........................
    Private E:mail......................

Best regards.

Barrister Bukky Silver-Onyeowa.
    Bukky Onyeowa-Silver's Charmber's.
    Lome-Togo. West Africa.
    Telephone: 00228-0429660.
    E:mail: ( bbsochambers@hotmail.com ).

Like of course I'm not treating it serious, has anyone else had one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I get them all the time and usually reply with a fake name and pretend that i have loads of money but need more to buy my dream house!
    i act all stupid and lead them on for a few mails then kindly tell them to **** off trying to scam people, this has to really annoy them when they think there scam has worked..

a lad rang me a few times winding me up so i send his number to them, i bet he gets at least 1 call a week off some nigerian who thinks he's going to make a fortune!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

ha ha, well done. TBH I don't have the time, or energy at the mo to play games with them. It's so annoying. I will report it to facebook. Just fancy some innocent soul who wouldn't realise it's a scam. But oh, wouldn't it be nice if it were true, all that money, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zednanrefnomar

cloudy day wrote: »
    ... The said bank has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have his account confisicated within the next twenty one official working days Since I have been unsuccesfull in locating the relatives for over 2 years now, I seek the consent to present you as the next of kin to the deceased since you have the same last names, so that the proceeds of this account can be paid to you. ...

Do you actually have the same last name as the "uncle"?
    I'm just curious as to whether they were careful to use the correct surnames for the recipients.

Oh yes, same surname. Actually, now you mention surnames. Lastnight I joined the family tree thing on it, my neice wanted it. maybe that's where they get the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

spoof them along as far as you can...

they waste enough of our time deleting spam..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

A lot of these are computer generated, or no reply on other end.
    TBH i never even read em, gmail sends them straight to my spam box where they in turn get deleted

[edit]Posted in wrong section
    Can a mod move this thread to the appropriate section

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Never reply to these emails, you are only verifying your email address by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Yup, agree, you're just showing them your account is active by replying.

The temptation to string them along is strong though - if you have 15 minutes, you should check this out:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=363 - just skip the bit at the start about hockey - story starts at about 5min 30 secs.

A lot of these are computer generated, or no reply on other end.
    TBH i never even read em, gmail sends them straight to my spam box where they in turn get deleted

[edit]Posted in wrong section
    Can a mod move this thread to the appropriate section

Oh i didn't explain it well enough i guess, but it's through FACEBOOK. and the reason i put it here and not the computers section. was to discuss it with the animal guys who are on here all the time so they know about it. but thanks for asking them to move it.!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm actually shocked that somebody has to check something like that is a scam, these have been going for years everybody gets atleast 10 a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coppernlucy

God yes that is a scam , sad to say but some vunerable people might fall for these , genuinely thinking there helping but realy lineing the pockets of some mean person hideing in the backround , and if they are sending so many out it must mean that they are makeing something out of it otherwise they would have quit ages ago. Contact Facebook and report them!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked that somebody has to check something like that is a scam, these have been going for years everybody gets atleast 10 a month

Obviously it's a scam. Didn't i say I'm not taking it serious. It was posted as a warning to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

forward the email address to abuse@hotmail.com

They'll shut the account down, nothing major, but at least it's a pain in the ass for the scammer.

Advertisement