Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tories form new anti-Federalist Group

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

The Conservative Party in the Uk led by David Cameron recently left the EPP group and there have been speculation on what their next move would be .Apparently they have decided to form a new anti-federalist group joined by other members from Poland,Finland,Hungary,Netherlands,Czech Republic etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8112581.stm

I wonder how viable this new group would be.

Thoughts/Opinion welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

anti federalist and pro eu still i would imagine?

i think its a great idea - as it will diminish the anti eu votes in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I think the idea...is to reiterate their position that the EU should be more economically inclined as opposed to the current attempt to turn it into a Political institution ...where the end goal is to have a central European state.

yes - but the uk is turning more and more anti eu at the mo, and for quite some time, so in doing this they will gain votes and help keep the uk in the eu

clever clever moves by the conservatives (along with garunteeing a ref on lisbon knowing fairly confidently that they wont have to give it as it will be passed and decided by the time they hold an election and form a govt)

Just curious...are there any possibilities after ...(lets assume) Ireland passes the Lisbon treaty and the tories subsequently get into power next year ... then decide reject the treaty due to technalities and call for a referendum in the UK.

they stated that if the issue was not resolved before they get into power they would hold a referendum

so i doubt if it is solved and passed before then they would hold it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

so i doubt if it is solved and passed before then they would hold it

which would be political suicide for Cameron - party split likely with mass defections to UKIP a certainty. The political chaos caused would be incredible.

he only garunteed a vote if he was in power before it is passed by all members

as in it is currently passed in the uk(?) and if ireland passes it so will poland and germany will probaly have a ruling by then. after that it is up to klaus and if that all goes well he will not go back on it as it will be passed at eu level

i think to go back on that and to put it to a vote would be impossible without causing the uk to be forced out of the eu - you cant have a country pass it, allow it to be passed as eu law and then go back on it

---
    if it did cause a split - then ukip would form a new uk govt - bye bye uk in the eu anyway

he only garunteed a vote if he was in power before it is passed by all members

as in it is currently passed in the uk(?) and if ireland passes it so will poland and germany will probaly have a ruling by then. after that it is up to klaus and if that all goes well he will not go back on it as it will be passed at eu level

i think to go back on that and to put it to a vote would be impossible without causing the uk to be forced out of the eu - you cant have a country pass it, allow it to be passed as eu law and then go back on it

---
    if it did cause a split - then ukip would form a new uk govt - bye bye uk in the eu anyway

How practical would it be for the UK to be forced out of the EU...that would result into very a chaotic situation.

-The UK after Germany are the largest contributors to the EU.

-That would cause a lot of disaffection that would probably be exploited the growing number of euroskeptics,which in my opinion would eventually lead to disintegration of the EU as we know it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

KINGVictor wrote: »
    How practical would it be for the UK to be forced out of the EU...that would result into very a chaotic situation.

-The UK after Germany are the largest contributors to the EU.

-That would cause a lot of disaffection that would probably be exploited the growing number of euroskeptics,which in my opinion would eventually lead to disintegration of the EU as we know it .

i would tend to disagree - the UK have always been a naturally eurosceptic lot , considering their history. (WW2 , battle of britain and all that)

the EU project would survive without them and would re-orientate along a Franco-German core.

Bear in mind that the French "no" vote to the EU Constitution was mostly a reaction against the perceived encroaching influence of the "Anglo American" sphere.

Advertisement