Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance with HN

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Is it hard to get finance with Harvey Norman. Just thinking of purchasing a few things up to 800euro with their interest free for 13 months finance. Deposit is 80euros and then Il be paying about 55 a month if i'm approved. Im on a regular income and the only bills ive been paying is an o2 bill and I havent paid that off late at any stage and I've never had a loan to pay off either. Any comments would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

This thread caught my eye. We just bought a fridge with Harvey Norman and got finance for it. Its in NZ though so probably won't be relevant for you.

I found the whole thing a bit strange. We got approved on the spot for an amount that is our combined weekly salary. We signed all the paperwork and took the fridge home with us. Then, today we got a type of credit card from the finance company with a limit the same amount we had been approved for and they had added the cost of the fridge on to it. The fridge was half the cost of our combined weekly salary so we could use the finance card a lot more. I only wanted finance for the fridge and the extended no interest period so we wouldn't pay any extra for it because we'd pay it off well within this. Now I have this finance company credit card thing and a letter encouraging me to go buy more things with it. Neddless to say we won't be doing this, it's been put away in a drawer and we'll be paying the fridge off ASAP (although we have 30 months). I only wanted to be approved for the cost of the fridge, not over it. We have credit cards, we would have put the fridge on that only we wanted an interest fee period in case it took us longer to pay. The finance company admin fee is minimal so it made more sense to get finance for it.

Is it any wonder the world is in a recession? It's complete madness. I was astounded that finance companies were still encouraging people to spend like that. I thought those days were over. Also - the finance company card can be spent in a few places but has a big Harvey Norman stamp on it so I guess they'd like you to spend the money there!

If HN at home is anything like here youll certainly have no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In my experience, yes it is.

Tried getting a camera there at the start of the year when they had the 36 interest free payments option, and their credit approval software turned me down. It would have worked out about €22 a month.... After it happened, I ordered a credit report from ICB.ie just to see what it said, and it was clean as a whistle.

Banks just aren't giving money out these days.

Always worth a shot though... let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

me and the misses have a couple of other loans, but had no trouble getting finance with them,
    Even further to our surprice they turned around and said delightfully "you are acutally approved for €4k - € 4.5k or something around that, so you can spend that in the store today"

Yeah right, I took the item I went in for @ 24 months Interest Free and that was that.

On another note, I find this ridiculous, the day we went in,
    The terms were " spend min €1000 in store and you will get 24 months interest free"

Heres the catch, most of you probably know, HN is split into 3 or 4 different departments, but they don't want anything to do with each other.
    They treat each other like its a different company:confused:
    1) Computers
    2) Electrical
    3) Furniture
    So, you can only take the finance per dept. (in otherwords spend €1000 per deptartment to take avail of the finance offer), therefore was unable to spend a mix of €1000 between Furniture & electrical

Anyway I argued enough with them and was able to get my €650 piece of furniture interest free for 24 months @ €31 a month withouth having to buy anything else :D

Advertisement