Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Cooker Wall switch

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Probably need to get an electric for this but I thought I'd see if anyone here can give some advise.

I have an electric cooker where you have to flick a switch on the wall and then work the cooker. On Friday I went to switch it back off after using the cooker but it was stuck on the 'on' position. I noticed as well that the switch was quite warm which I hadnt noticed before.

Its not actually a switch like a light switch- more like one that you kind of slide upwards and downwards- and it just seemed jammed. I tried to force it but it was stuck and then a couple of minutes later the light went out on it and now the cooker doesnt work.

My boyfriend tried to fix it by turning off the elctricity and then unscrewing it from the wall to see if he could push the switch back into position, but there is a black box at the back of it holding all the wires and stuff- so he couldnt get at it at all.

Is there any way we can fix this ourselves or is it something we should get an electrition for? Also, if we get one, should we try to source a new switch yoke beforehand to save money? How much might (should) this kind of job cost? Based in Portmarnock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you will need an electrician to investigate what caused the current required to fuse a 40 Amp isolator, it might have just been a bad connection, but the damage is done now and it needs investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks Stoner? Is that what would have caused it to get jammed- the fuse going? I thought we must have just banged something against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hey_hey

Thumpette wrote: »
    Thanks Stoner? Is that what would have caused it to get jammed- the fuse going? I thought we must have just banged something against it.

No, i dont think stoner is talking about the fuse going, he means that that the high temperature caused by excessive current may have "fused" or "welded" the switch closed....which shouldnt really happen if you have the correct mcb and correct double pole switch installed. Thats why he said get a sparks 2 investigate it.

On the other hand it might just be a cheap switch, that the mechanism has just jammed.

If you decide to change the switch yourself, your looking for a 40amp double pole cooker switch....and make sure power is off and connections r good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Getting an electrician round tonight! Better safe than fried! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hey_hey

Yeap.. ur dead right. best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you can source a 'quality' switch beforehand.no harm in that.MK or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jono1989

Hi did you find out the cause of your problem?

Jono1989 wrote: »

It's always a loose connection.
    Just hope you have enough clean undamaged cable to fit a new one without much pricking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭GIMP

Jono1989 wrote: »

Eleven years ago!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zombie thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement