Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money will I need for Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Eating out is cheaper in Oz I think, but yes, Coles and Woolies don't compare to Tescos and Asda in terms of price.
    I would agree.

Wait till you get into

Car insurance
    Medi-bank
    Racv
    Water
    Gas
    Electricity
    Rent
    Mortgages
    Broadband
    Council rates

Australia is not cheap to live in, I love it but its not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I would agree.

Wait till you get into

Car insurance - 3rd party is cheaper. Who cares about the rest
    Medi-bank Whats this
    Racv And this too?
    Water LandLord pays below excess
    Gas Ditto
    Electricity LOL, I'm not putting it here, but there are ways around this :D
    Rent My rent is dear, but I don't think dublin is any cheaper, in fact dublin is prob dearer still
    Mortgages They're for suckers;)
    Broadband I haven't priced a wired router (any ideas) but they seem to push wireless 3G a lot, which is deer everyehere
    Council rates Landlord again

Australia is not cheap to live in, I love it but its not cheap.

I'm getting away with murder on costs I feel

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm getting away with murder on costs I feel

You are

A wired router and Phone was good with optus about 60 a Month

Now Virgin charges me 34 a month for wireless as I am in the sticks, no adsl.

RACV - Breakdown and Insurance. Believe me the way they drive here you need it. We had our first car destroyed by a hoon in the first three months.

Medibank is medical insurance us older farts need it to keep us alive. Its like VHI.

Mortgages are not for suckers. Suckers are the ones paying My mortgage in Ireland in rent. Well their actually not but you get my piont.

was

You are

A wired router and Phone was good with optus about 60 a Month

Now Virgin charges me 34 a month for wireless as I am in the sticks, no adsl.
    TBH, thats about the same as ireland (which is also ridic for internet)
    Luckily I have decent internet in work for free.
    Medibank is medical insurance us older farts need it to keep us alive. Its like VHI.
    Ah, I'll worry when i'm older.
    Mortgages are not for suckers. Suckers are the ones paying My mortgage in Ireland in rent. Well their actually not but you get my piont.
    I group them with credit cards, in all a terrible way to manage money.
    I will never have a credit (i hope at least)
    If I can avoid a mortgage I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I group them with credit cards, in all a terrible way to manage money.
    I will never have a credit (i hope at least)

I disagree, I've had a credit card for over 8 years and Its never costed me a a cent bar the irish government levy, I pay it off every month (the banks hate the like of me)

I need it for stuff like internet purchases, etc,etc. I use it alot less in oz as I've eftpos and the CC is a euro one so that doesn't help but certainly if you've self control a CC shouldn't be a problem, after a isit to the US last year the CC was essential in most hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

A bottle of coke and crisps is $5.

I keep reading that Australia has one of the best standards of living in the world but the more I hear about it from people living there the less I believe this. It seems to be an incredibly expensive place to live, with rent and food costs being much higher than even Dublin. How do people survive in Australia- are salaries much higher than the likes that you would get in Dublin?

I keep reading that Australia has one of the best standards of living in the world but the more I hear about it from people living there the less I believe this. It seems to be an incredibly expensive place to live, with rent and food costs being much higher than even Dublin. How do people survive in Australia- are salaries much higher than the likes that you would get in Dublin?

It is but a good standard of living is not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I need it for stuff like internet purchases, etc,etc. I use it alot less in oz as I've eftpos and the CC is a euro one so that doesn't help but certainly if you've self control a CC shouldn't be a problem, after a isit to the US last year the CC was essential in most hotels.

Visa/Mastercard Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

TBH, thats about the same as ireland (which is also ridic for internet)
    Ireland has great broadband compared to Oz

You pay for your speed, and thats it, none of this on/off peak, data allowance, slow down, over charge crap like here

I miss thee NTL :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

It is but a good standard of living is not free.

but are salaries in aus cities generally higher than those you would expect in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

but are salaries in aus cities generally higher than those you would expect in Dublin?

They were. Exchange rate has dropped now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Rent is skyrocketing due to housing shortages. People generally live in the outskirt suburbs and train or bus into their workplace. Public transport is cheaper than Limerick (not sure about Dublin not having lived there)
    Food was much cheaper than Limerick when I flew back at the start of the year. It really depends what you buy though. Fresh food seems to be cheaper than the frozen stuff which is the opposite of Ireland. It might be the comparisons of those that make the food seem very expensive.

Dont go for brands you know in Ireland and buy from the counters rather than the racks.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Visa/Mastercard Debit.

If you want to pay an extra $6 a month for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jumpy wrote: »
    Fresh food seems to be cheaper than the frozen stuff which is the opposite of Ireland.
    Fresh fruit is ridiculously expensive for a country which supposedly grows so much of it. There was a survey recently which revealed that Aussie grocery prices have risen more than any other developed nation.

But anyway the sun is splitting the stones outside and the beach is packed with beautiful people......what am I whinging about?:cool:

Jumpy wrote: »
    They were. Exchange rate has dropped now though.

I think you should think about that for a second. The rate has dropped, which makes the aussie salaries better, not worse. In a relative sense.

6 months ago my wages were slightly less than what I was gettign in Ireland last year. Although, I wouldn't be able to get those wages anymore in Ireland, even if I found a job.

Now, they are slightly more than I was getting, due to the exchange rate changing.

I disagree, I've had a credit card for over 8 years and Its never costed me a a cent bar the irish government levy, I pay it off every month (the banks hate the like of me)

LOL, this is nonsense.
    It's a terrbile way to manage money. (This was publicly stated by the head of a major CC company a few years ago).

I won't buy something if I don't have the money in my account.

I don't have a credit card, yet I have never had a problem with online purchases, flights, hotels etc.
    I have 3 bank accounts, in 3 countries, each with a debit card accepted everywhere a credit card is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

If you want to pay an extra $6 a month for it

I have a Visa Debit card with ANZ. I closed my other account with them when I got it so it only costs me $1 more a month for it not $6 as there was no point in effectively having 2 current accounts. I think you would be mad to use an Irish Credit card here to buy things if you’re going to stay for any long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

LOL, this is nonsense.
    It's a terrbile way to manage money. (This was publicly stated by the head of a major CC company a few years ago).

I'll disagree, I put everything on my CC, I always have money for it, I get paid monthly and my CC bill is the first thing I pay for, I could easily out everything on my efpos card, but I use my cash in a high interest savings account so that is earning interest if everything was taken from my cash then I would not earn this.

If you time certain things correctly you can get 56days interest on it.
    E.g if I was to buy flights home on the first day of my bill for 2500 I have 56 days to day it off, I stick it in a high savings account at 5.5% PA I can earn $21 interest on this for the 56 days.
    or else I can get my flights paid for in cash and earn nothing.

The interest I earn on my cash before I pay my bill > cc yearly charge. so I make money in reality.

LOL, this is nonsense.

I won't buy something if I don't have the money in my account.

I don't have a credit card, yet I have never had a problem with online purchases, flights, hotels etc.
    I have 3 bank accounts, in 3 countries, each with a debit card accepted everywhere a credit card is.

I DON'T buy anything I can't afford. I have my credit card over 8 years and I've never once owed the bank money.

hussey wrote: »
    I'll disagree, I put everything on my CC, I always have money for it, I get paid monthly and my CC bill is the first thing I pay for, I could easily out everything on my efpos card, but I use my cash in a high interest savings account so that is earning interest if everything was taken from my cash then I would not earn this.

If you time certain things correctly you can get 56days interest on it.
    E.g if I was to buy flights home on the first day of my bill for 2500 I have 56 days to day it off, I stick it in a high savings account at 5.5% PA I can earn $21 interest on this for the 56 days.
    or else I can get my flights paid for in cash and earn nothing.

The interest I earn on my cash before I pay my bill > cc yearly charge. so I make money in reality.

That's actually a very good way of approaching it. I keep most of my money in a long term savings (30 day withdrawl notice). The rest is in a current.
    I DON'T buy anything I can't afford. I have my credit card over 8 years and I've never once owed the bank money.
    That's good. You are obviously sensible with your money.
    But, I never said that everyone owes the bank money. I said they are a bad way to manage your money. The majority of people do owe the bank money. Lets be honest, the average person is a bit of a moron, esp in money matters. And certainly isn't as good with it as Hussey or yourself

I also said that there is nothing that you need a CC for anymore. (I'm not sure if it was you, but somebody said you need one)

• Advertisement

That's good. You are obviously sensible with your money.
    But, I never said that everyone owes the bank money. I said they are a bad way to manage your money. The majority of people do owe the bank money. Lets be honest, the average person is a bit of a moron, esp in money matters. And certainly isn't as good with it as Hussey or yourself

I also said that there is nothing that you need a CC for anymore. (I'm not sure if it was you, but somebody said you need one)

Granted there are debit cards now, but they weren't quite as common (as far as I know) when I first got my CC.

And I know exactly what your saying about morons, one of my best mates back home has a €5000 debt at home on his CC.

Also was talking to an american lad that works with my missus was telling me how he got his car here, the car was $18000 and he only had $2000 in his savings account, his solution: Got 2 credit cards and maxed them to the tune of $8000 each... Genius :rolleyes:

Advertisement