Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colorectal Cancer

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

My Dad was diagnosed with rectal cancer last wednesday. I'm still in shock but learing to cope with the elephant in the room. He's going to a scan on lungs and chest, a procedure to ensure it hasn't spread. I'm terrified.

Has anyone had similar experience with a happy ending???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had a different cancer to your dad (oesophageal) which was diagnosed at the age of 32 but am still here 28.5 months later (after the surgery).

I know all about the scans to see if it has spread, they are scary, there is no other way of putting it, but at least you will know.

Of relevance to you though is that I have an uncle who is 78 now and had your dads cancer when he was only 36 - yes, he is getting old now but who would not be - he was very helpful when I was diagnosed but with cancer you try and put it in the past which is understandable.

It is natural to be scared - there is no point in saying that the next while will be easy, it wont but you will find the strength to get through it...you need to know what you are fighting first.

From experience of being in your dads place I found that getting away from cancer for a while was wonderful - is there anything that you can do together that will be fun for your dad? It will hopefully also make you feel a bit better too.

The Irish Cancer Society are great - when a relative had cancer I used to ring them up and they were wonderful - they will be great for your dad too. You will be suprised how wonderful friends can be also. I joined some cancer help groups - some of them had a daily digest which I ended up finding depressing - I would recomend looking at ones that you have to look at rather than having them in your face if that makes any sense. I did make some good friends though.

Big hugs to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My mum had the same cancer as your dad.
    She was diagnosed 7 years ago.
    She went to St. Lukes first for 6 weeks for treatment and then had surgery.
    She is now a spritely 73 year old with more energy then I have.
    Best of luck to your dad....and of course to you, it's not an easy place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chocciebutton

My Dad has terminal cancer, he is in hospital, on the drip, not eating, just fading away before our eyes. we don't know how long we have left with him. It is the hardest thing in the world to see him like that. He is in no pain, which is a little consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm sorry to read about your dad.
    It is very hard watching someone fading in front of you.

Advertisement