Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wet Olive

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

I have been fishing this fly at the weekend and to some success although i have only caught tiny little fellas on it. Should i be fishing this fly when there is not rise on and sticking on the dry when the rise starts.

Also does anyone else here think that the wet fly is reliable on the rivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Hey Stevoman,

I know a very experienced river angler in my local club who only fishes wet all year round! He will even cover rising trout with a wet fly with great success.

It depends I suppose on if the trout is taking the natural off the surface or not. I know that sounds obvious but seeing rises might not mean a "dry fly" Sometimes a trout is chasing insects sub-surface and its momentum just carries it up to break the surface. This for me is very fustrating! I would keep bashing the wet or semi wet untill you actually see naturals getting gobbled right on the surface then switch to a dry..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

premiercad wrote: »
    Hey Stevoman,

I know a very experienced river angler in my local club who only fishes wet all year round! He will even cover rising trout with a wet fly with great success.

It depends I suppose on if the trout is taking the natural off the surface or not. I know that sounds obvious but seeing rises might not mean a "dry fly" Sometimes a trout is chasing insects sub-surface and its momentum just carries it up to break the surface. This for me is very fustrating! I would keep bashing the wet or semi wet untill you actually see naturals getting gobbled right on the surface then switch to a dry..
    Thanks for the info. yeah im going to keep at the wets. As a beginner fly fisherman i fing that the wet seems to suit me personally.

Advertisement