Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone sent me a cheque out of the blue!

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Not that I'm complaining but I am confused :confused:

I am a Vodafone pre-pay customer not a bill customer so I never really have any correspondence with Vodafone. However, this morning I recieved a cheque in the post from them for €64. As I say, I was pleasantly surprised but I can't figure out what it's for.

The weird thing is that I don't even know where they got my address from. When I registered a few years ago I was living at a different address. I logged into my account online today (which I normally log into to top up) and I went to 'View Personal Details' where I could see that my old address is still the one listed.

Also, they've spelled my name on the cheque slightly wrong, although it's spelled correctly according to my account details as shown online.

This leads me to believe that they got my name and address for the cheque somewhere OTHER than the registered details which I gave first day.

I've lodged the cheque to my bank account but I'm just totally confused as to
    a) Where they got my name and address from (as the details are not the ones I registered with.
    b) Why they sent me a cheque at all?

Any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

have you thought about asking vodafone.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

i'd ring them, but thats just me....im a crazy mo fo !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

I don't want to draw their attention to it in case it's a mistake and they ask for it back!!!

do you own Voda shares ?

gaz wac wrote: »
    do you own Voda shares ?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you bought credit in the past couple of weeks?
    I believe they are giving 6 euro credit with every 30 purchased or something like that. Maybe you were due some free credit.......
    Have you changed tarriffs recently?
    Perhaps they messed up the changeover and owe you money?

You wont know till you ring them in fairness.

kippy wrote: »
    Have you bought credit in the past couple of weeks?
    I believe they are giving 6 euro credit with every 30 purchased or something like that. Maybe you were due some free credit.......
    Have you changed tarriffs recently?
    Perhaps they messed up the changeover and owe you money?

You wont know till you ring them in fairness.

I did top up with the €30 and got the €6 straight away in the credit.

Haven't changed tarrifs.

Hmm, still reluctant to ring them as am sure it's a mistake.

Oh well....maybe I'll just take it as a piece of good luck.

It's funny though because I got two items in the post this morning - one being the cheque, the other a letter from Bord Gais saying that my details were on the stolen laptop! Talk about Good news / Bad news :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

ever think you might be a victim of identity theft? Maybe somebody took out a bill phone or some such in your name and signed up for electronic billing (not sure if this is possible on your network)? This could be some random amount of money they are "owed". I would definitely ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did you have eircom shares, they turned into vodafone shares a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Tupins wrote: »
    I don't want to draw their attention to it in case it's a mistake and they ask for it back!!!
    That's theft! :eek:

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »

Ok ok I'll ring them.

Actually I did buy eircom shares that time years ago - but again that was a different address.

I'll let ye know what I find out. Probably something boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ring them, it takes just one tosser with a few discarded bills\paperwork to 'become you' to the phone companies.

PeteK* wrote: »

cant see how its theft :confused: it will depend on the outcome...if its Eircom shares he is due it, if its a mistake and then he keep quiet....then he is a thief :p

Just ask OP, you never know it could be good news...could be comming monthly :D

Ok I just rang them there and they didn't seem to know what it was about either!

So I have to fax the remittance advice to them so they can check it out.

FYP

So I have to fax the remittance advice to them so they can check cheque it out.[/quote] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Ok mystery solved - just got a call back from Vodafone.

Vodafone have taken over Perlico. I used to be a customer of Perlico but was utterly disgusted with their excuse for customer service and after a lenghthy battle to get back money that they owed me I obviously left and went somewhere else!

Anyway, apparently they still owed me €64 (it went on for so long that I lost track in the end) and so hence the cheque from Vodafone!

Anyway, just thought I'd let ye know. (I know ye were awake all night wondering ;))

That's alright then. At least you know it's yours.

In similar situations in future, always let them know, though. They'll always find out and demand the money back, usually at a time when you're completely broke.

Advertisement