Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths playing chicken in Killester

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this has ever came up before but last night I was cycling home from my girlfriends house when some scumbags slow down in a car behind me.I knew from the second I heard it slow down that something was going to go down so I basically slowed down to a near stop and pulled in a bit and next thing I see the car beside me and an extended arm reaching out to push me.His fingers brushed down my arm as he couldn't get to me.

There was a car behind them and they sped off towards the clans from Collins Avenue East.As they did,I took the reg.I got the year,county,make and the first 3 digits of the 5 with the last two digits uncertain but I had two numbers that I could make out.

So I rang the guards and they come down.In the meantime,the woman who was behind them pulls up after trying to follow them but she couldn't get to them and she came back to see if I was alright.So we give statements after 15 minutes.

I couldn't believe the Guards asked me if I wanted them to give the cnuts "A Warning" or if "I wanted to take it further".Of course I am going to take it further if they are caught.This is attempted GBH and even attempted manslaughter.What if I couldn't walk again,broke a leg or my neck?....fcukers like these don't live off warnings until they seriously hurt somebody.

I didn't see them but the woman said she did and she reckons they were in their teens,probably have no license or insurance etc. Stupid cnuts couldn't even do me properly.I wasn't even shook up or anything.

Stupid cnuts.I won't hold my breath waiting for justice to prevail.This is the 2nd time in two weeks I have had to call the guards after witnessing 13 year old girls in Kilbarrack underage drinking in public and disturbing the peace and smashing bottles by the DART bridge near Naomh Barrog GAA Club.

So beware if you are cycling or minding your own business in these areas.I fully accept that these areas have decent peopleliving in them but their reputation is merited.Killester area (Collins Ave East,Clans and parts of Donneycarney) are a kip with teeny scumbags.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good for you for following it up.

We have a great city and we have excellent laws to keep order and ensure people can live their lives without interference, unfortunately we (a) do not bother reporting things and (b) when reported, this 'just a warning'/'go home now lads'/'ah stop the messing' attitude prevails.

Look at the poor man who was shot in East Wall, the garda injured with a bottle the other day in town - I can guarantee the gentlemen/ladies involved in those incidents had done smaller things beforehand.

Ah sure, they're only kids messing.

'WE' allow these people to destroy our areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 therogue

in the donnycarney/killester area there has been a lot of agro lately, walls being smashed, banging doors in the middle of the night. they reckon its a couple of youths. one of the neighbours is suggesting staking out the area to try and catch them seeeing as the guards will do feck all. if they are caught they are gonna get one hell of a hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Vigilantism is against the law. Please do not post about Vigilante activities here.

Also, Blackbelt, please tone down the language in Thread Titles, I've edited that.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i dont get this - you were stopped on the road and a guy brushed off you with his hand? manslaugter? what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i dont get this - you were stopped on the road and a guy brushed off you with his hand? manslaugter? what?

Cycling along relatively quickly, pushed by the person in the car, flies over handlebars in front of, and then under, the car. Splat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the kids in the car were driving past - attempting to hit the cyclist - while driving..... which could result in cyclist loosing control and in an extreme case falling over causing serious harm (vegatative state or even death)

Feckin' scumbags ....even if they get caught... the system wont do anything to them.....we NEED stronger laws to stop scum from committing crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you taking the piss or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

stovelid wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss or what?
    I do think Manslaughter is a bit extreme also, people fall off their bikes all the time and don't die.

I'm not saying the little scumbags should get away with it, but I do think manslaughter is a bit much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

no from his description it just doesn't sound like much. I'm surprised the garda even entertained it. I got knocked off a bike 2 weeks ago by a van that sped away afterwards and the Garda couldn't do anything as i had no witnesses, even though i had the reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I do think Manslaughter is a bit extreme also, people fall off their bikes all the time and don't die.

I'm not saying the little scumbags should get away with it, but I do think manslaughter is a bit much

People also fall off their bikes all the time and do die. Under a truck or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Alias G wrote: »
    People also fall off their bikes all the time and do die. Under a truck or car.
    No, people fall off their bikes all the time, people fall off their bikes and die sometimes.

This is ridiculous. I'll leave you all to your over reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP - disgarceful behaviour indeed and fantastic of you to follow it up. I will correct you on one minor detail though:
    blackbelt wrote: »
    Of course I am going to take it further if they are caught.This is attempted GBH and even attempted manslaughter.

Manslaughter is killing unlawfully, without the intent - you can't "attempt to kill someone without meaning to"...makes no sense :P

I'd go with attempted GBH tbh, if they actually touched you even a bit then at a stretch it's common assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

no from his description it just doesn't sound like much. I'm surprised the garda even entertained it. I got knocked off a bike 2 weeks ago by a van that sped away afterwards and the Garda couldn't do anything as i had no witnesses, even though i had the reg.

I think you ment to say "the Garda wouldn't do anything" :rolleyes:because I assure you he/she could do something, eg at least ask the driver if it was true?, check the van for marks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

No, people fall off their bikes all the time, people fall off their bikes and die sometimes.

On average, 3 cyclists per annum killed on Irish roads. I think that is a high enough frequency to warrent concern. One every few months ffs. It is happening all the time. And the scenario that the op describes is exactly the kind of situation that could result in a cyclist ending up under the wheels of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

This is ridiculous. Some people fall of their bike and die. Some who don't die suffer serious injuries and end up with paralysis. Some are unharmed. In the end, some asshole pushing you off your bike is something you don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Alias G wrote: »
    On average, 3 cyclists per annum killed on Irish roads. I think that is a high enough frequency to warrent concern. One every few months ffs. It is happening all the time. And the scenario that the op describes is exactly the kind of situation that could result in a cyclist ending up under the wheels of a car.

3 Cyclists a year are killed? Are you sure it's not much higher? 3 a year seems very low espeically considering our 'cycle lanes' are just a bit of paint on the road and buses, cars, vans and bikes are all competing for the same tiny space.

Not to mention cyclists complete disregard for any of the rules of the road. 3 a year seems very low. Are you sure it's not 3 a month? some cyclists cycle round the city like lemmings with a death wish.

There should be proper seperate cyle lanes so we're not all crammed in together on the same tiny space. It's safer and less hassle for eveyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

rcunning03 wrote: »
    There should be proper seperate cyle lanes so we're not all crammed in together on the same tiny space. It's safer and less hassle for eveyone.

They can't really do that in town, that's medieval planning for you!

Years ago I worked as a cycle courier and it amazed me when cyclists refused to use cycle paths. There is a path from East Wall along the Alfie Byrne road, along the coast almost to Howth, off the road, smooth as glass, perfect tarmac, nice and fast. I used it all the time. But other cyclists insist on cycling on the road! Also, ever see the joggers on the cycle lanes at night wearing dark colours? I'd say the cyclists don't like that at all.

lightening wrote: »
    They can't really do that in town, that's medieval planning for you!

Maybe if they put all the city centre roads underground and leave the streets free for pedestrians, cyclists and luas. That way drivers could drive hassle free and it would be generally safer for everyone.

I think they do something like that in Geneva or one of the Swiss cities. I'd be happy to pay a congestion charge if they were to build tunnel motorways under the city.

Any chance that will happen though?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

rcunning03 wrote: »
    Maybe if they put all the city centre roads underground and leave the streets free for pedestrians, cyclists and luas. That way drivers could drive hassle free and it would be generally safer for everyone.

I think they do something like that in Geneva or one of the Swiss cities. I'd be happy to pay a congestion charge if they were to build tunnel motorways under the city.

Any chance that will happen though?

With Tunneling costs currently running at c. Euro 70,000 per meter I dont think so, How much were you willing to pay? (based on a two lane single bore tunnel)

• Advertisement

whatnext wrote: »
    With Tunneling costs currently running at c. Euro 70,000 per meter I dont think so, How much were you willing to pay? (based on a two lane single bore tunnel)

I know it's never going to happen, that's something they can do in other countries but not here.

As long as we had proper public transport i.e. metro, luas etc. I would use the metro if we had one cause they are quick and easy. In a situation like that I would rarely drive into town but the odd time I would drive in, I wouldn't mind paying €20 for the underground motorways, metro's and luas along with more tax on petrol but only for a geuienly world class infrastructure but not to help pay for the bailouts to the bankers.

On sunny days I might even cycle in but not now. I honestly can't believe only 3 cyclists a year get killed on our roads.

Advertisement