Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get a bicycle to Germany cheaply!?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey gnag

hope yer all well

jsut moved over to germany, and i got a job so im looking to get my bicycle shipped over here

i am not in any rush to get it shipped over here, i just want it to arrive in one piece, without costing too much!

its an expensive bike, spent 1000e on it, so i want it to be taken care of !

any ideas

i rang dhl and they only offer a next day delivery and that costs 1000e! wtf?!

talk soon
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I think you can check it in the hold of the plane, like you can with skis. You just have to pay extra for it (I think it's €25 with Ryanair) and you take it to the special oversized luggage place and check it in.

Im pretty sure I saw cyclists doing this on a flight to Austria once because we also had skis to check in. Although I think they were fancy bikes that folded down and has cases - racing bikes or something. Would be worth checking out anyway,

Although, I'm presuming here you're flying to Germany from Ireland again at some stage soon though, or someone is coming to visit you.

DHL are always very expensive because it is an express service. You could also try these guys http://www.shippingpersonaleffects.com/door-to-door.html

I used them to ship 30kg to NZ and it was about €300. The service was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Cheap way .

Step 1 - Get family to bring bike to airport.
    Step 2 - Fly to dublin in Morning time
    Step 3 - pick up bike
    Step 4 - Check in bike . ( For €1000 in sure is light )
    step 5 - Fly back to Germany the same day

Im only saying this because I did the same thing but My bike was in Germany . Booked the cheap fights and did it all for less then €100

Advertisement