Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams

Options
  • 22-06-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Had the privilage of going Cork Airport on Saturday and because the flight was delayed we went to Mahon Point. My OH suggested that she would buy me a t-shirt for Fathers day in Debenhams.

I was wearing an "Animal" brand tee which I got in Killarney for €27.99, The exact same product was priced €39 in Debenhams . Now this is a Fcuking Rip Off :mad::(:mad::(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

newman10 wrote: »
    Had the privilage of going Cork Airport on Saturday and because the flight was delayed we went to Mahon Point. My OH suggested that she would buy me a t-shirt for Fathers day in Debenhams.

I was wearing an "Animal" brand tee which I got in Killarney for €27.99, The exact same product was priced €39 in Debenhams . Now this is a Fcuking Rip Off :mad::(:mad::(

Debenhams are one of the most expensive stores in Ireland - there's no doubt about that.

I know a local independent store in carlow has signs up stating that they are up to 37% lower than debenhams for the exact same products. They had a list of about 30 products that they & debenhams stocked average differece was about 25%.

The local store is a small independent store and certainly would dwarf debenhams buying power by mulitple amounts - so basically Debenhams are WAY over priced. (They're known to be expensive in the UK too!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Two years ago in an English Debenhams I found a hot water bottle I had bought the week before here in a small chemists locally was 10 euro here, 15 sterling there. Probably 25 euro when it was in Debenhams here, a lot of the hot water bottles/heated warmers are around 31 euro mark at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

I was online yesterday and i saw a beautiful dress on the debenhams website it was £150.00 (€175.00) so i went into Limerick to debenhams to see if they had the same dress, they had, i looked at the price and was disgusted to see that it was €232.00. I asked the manager why there was a substantial difference in the price and she said that all stock was bought six months in advance and they were working on bringing the prices inline but she was not willing to give me the dress for the internet price. So i am definitely not impressed with them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Usual BS about a lag in the exchange rates ... 6 months ago the Euro was even stronger against the pound so actually the dress should have been cheaper.

There are however loads of other reasons why apparently this price difference happens which have been explored ad nausim on this forum . ( which incidentally I don't fully believe )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Davidth88 wrote: »
    There are however loads of other reasons why apparently this price difference happens which have been explored ad nausim on this forum . ( which incidentally I don't fully believe )
    Do you at least believe one of the reasons? that a company's main goal is to make a profit? and so will charge what the market will bear? I have seen 8 year old girls with little "shops" in their front gardens who seem to understand this business practise perfectly well.

They would be complete and utter fools not to maximise their profits. I really wish staff would just come out straight and say it to shut people up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

No I fully believe what you say Rubadub.

This country became totally bloated , you saw that every day where people just ' had to have ' solid wood floors that were at least x mm thick , and made of very rare wood from the jungles of Brazil , or ' had to have ' 42 inch plasma screen TV with surround sound blah blah blah , just after moving into their hugly overinflated shoe box 50 miles from their work.

Stores saw this , and of course took advantage.

Well the shoe is well and truly on the other foot now !

Advertisement