Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

Options
  • 22-06-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

256px-Rainbowsix3.jpg

That's right, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield for the PC. Before the franchise turned to mainstream ****e. No regenerating health here, it's based upon the "one shot, one kill" principle. If you get hit, you'll start to limp, which lowers your movement speed and accuracy as a whole, making it a lot harder to function. Also available was an in-depth mission planner, the ability to add multiple teams which could be controlled at will, a wide variety of weapons and gadgets and great multiplayer capability (Both adverserial and cooperative).

The problem is that it's an old enough game and the online population is starting to dwindle. Does anybody still play this spectacular gem of a game? I'm about to rebuy it today since my discs are gone to hell at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Rainbow 6 las vegas works off the one shot one kill thing unless its in the leg or arm etc... Better graphics aswell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It's still regenerating health regardless, as you could just be shot and hide in a corner for a while until you were ready to go again. You actually have to strive to not be hit in this game, as it can be detrimental to your squad's overall efficiency.

Better graphics don't necessarily make a game better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hogzy wrote: »
    Rainbow 6 las vegas works off the one shot one kill thing unless its in the leg or arm etc... Better graphics aswell!!!

I like Vegas on the xbox, but it's a completely different beast to R6 on the PC. Vegas is very much an arcade shooter, compared to the sim like Raven Shield or it predecessors. For example, most of your time on the pc games is spent devising a mission plan, and it was incredibly satisfying when it came together.

Box art above is of the American release if i'm not mistaken.

I like Vegas on the xbox, but it's a completely different beast to R6 on the PC. Vegas is very much an arcade shooter, compared to the sim like Raven Shield or it predecessors. For example, most of your time on the pc games is spent devising a mission plan, and it was incredibly satisfying when it came together.

Box art above is of the American release if i'm not mistaken.

One fun thing to do aswell was to plan out the mission beforehand and let the AI do it, while you just sat back in the ghost camera and watched it all go down. Very good indeed!

And yes, that's the North American box art. I just nabbed it from Wikipedia. :p

One thing I miss about playing this is the sniper servers that were set up, I stayed up until 7 in the morning playing them some days! Just total fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It all went downhill because of R6: dumbdown. I still like the Vegas games but R6 used to be a unique experience replaced now by a generic shooter, a good one but there's too many of them and not enough of the realistic tactical shooters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Raven shield was the last one I bought but I haven't played it in over 2 years. Kind of tempted to give it a run soon. I don't know why I stopped with them after that. The first 3 were great though

Krieg wrote: »
    Raven shield was the last one I bought but I haven't played it in over 2 years. Kind of tempted to give it a run soon. I don't know why I stopped with them after that. The first 3 were great though

If you're tempted to give it a lash online in the near future, drop me a message. Online community isn't what it used to be in terms of players, although there's still a large amount of servers still running, albeit empty ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm threatening to install both this and SWAT4 one of the days, have originals of both. I much prefer tactical shooters. You can pm me also

I installed Raven Shield again today and I'm already having issues with it. Intro's choppy and freezes, and in game it's as though the game's sped up, along with not being able to move.

Argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I have it too. I don't have a suitable net connection either, nor does it run as smooth as it should. Older games can be hassle, but I love this. Recently reinstalled OPF too, another gem:D. That runs smooth however. The R6 series went downhill from crapdown onwards. Vegas is pretty bad, I never liked health regen of the hugging wall 3rd person, magically looking around a corner without exposing yourself thing. R6V2 has the high stakes mode, which was a step in the right direction, nobody plays that though because is much more difficult (on 360), due to no regen or autoaim, and increased recoil.

edit: back on topic, R6RS had a tendency to move my desktop items around everytime I played it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've only played the first R6 and the Vegas games. The series is completely different now alright, they knew the new style would have more widespread appeal.

On another (but still related) note, I hate that so many games use regenerating health now. It made sense in Halo, but I can't work out how R6 and CoD characters do it! I liked carefully conserving Medkits and such...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It all went downhill because of R6: dumbdown. I still like the Vegas games but R6 used to be a unique experience replaced now by a generic shooter, a good one but there's too many of them and not enough of the realistic tactical shooters.

Couldn't agree with this more. In terms of generic shooters, the Vegas games are pretty good ones, but the franchise they co-opted was something unique and really special. I absolutely loved RvS, easily one of my favourite games ever, I'll have to reinstall it soon too. It's a real shame they had to junk the series like that, a modern game in the same vain would have been amazing, imagine playing with a Left4Dead-like director controlling the terrorists :)

For people who haven't seen yet Blackfoot Studios, who I think have some of the original devs who worked on R6 and the original Ghost Recon and some of the people who made the community mods for them, are working on two games: Sky Gods and Ground Force. Development looks to be coming along nicely, and they seem to be aiming for same ideals of realism and depth, as well as a concept called NORG (Natural Order of Gaming) which grew out of the R6/OGR communities.

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/projects.htm

I've been playing through the Athena Sword campaign all afternoon and I'm on the fourth mission. When I used to play the campaign I never planned it out beforehand, but setting waypoints for your different teams does save you a lot of time, and can even save your life at some points! Having a blast with it, forgot how much I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Rogue Spear FTW!!!

If anybody's up for playing later let me know. Been playing coop terrorist hunt all day. :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Closest thing i've played(i'm a console gamer, never really played any on the P.C) is Socom on the PS3, i used to like COD4 but after playing Socom i have a different view of shooters, by default the rooms are No Spawns and health doesn't regenerate(you have a small bar) and there are no map indicators ever giving away positions of the enemy, a game plan and communication is crucial

Advertisement